View Full Version : Smart Phone vs. Pocket PC

egm007
11-28-2003, 04:08 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering about the difference between a smart phone vs. pocket pc. I've heard that smart phones = voice first, data second and pocket pc = data first, voice second. What does that really mean? :?

What kinds of things can you do on a pocket pc that can't be done on a smartphone? And why would someone choose one over the other? Thoughts? Any good articles on this?

Thanks! :helpme:

Jeff Rutledge
11-28-2003, 04:38 AM
First, it's important to note that there are two "types" of the PocketPC O/S. There's the standard PocketPC (iPAQs, Toshiba's, Dell's, etc.) and then there are PocketPC Phone Edition devices (XDA, XDAII, Audiovox, etc.).

If you're comparing PocketPC to Smartphone, the biggest difference is that PocketPC devices can't make phone calls. :wink:

I'll assume you're looking at PPCPC vs. Smartphone.

There are a lot of differences, but probably the most noteworthy is that the screen on a Smartphone isn't a touchscreen. That is, you can't tap on it or use a stylus. On a PPCPE you can tap on things, drag things, etc. whereas a Smartphone uses the numberpad and joystick to make selections and enter text.

The best way I've heard it described is that a Smartphone is a mobile phone with PIM functionality and a PPCPE device is a PIM with phone functionality.

I've also heard that Microsoft went with this strategy because they believe everyone is an 80/20 or 20/80 user. I, for example, am an 80/20 user. I use my device 80% of the time for PIM functions and 20% for phone functions (I don't get that many calls). For me a PPCPE device is the bestfit. Other people (i.e. sales staff) are 20% PIM and 80% phone. For them a Smartphone is the way to go.

This is all very subjective of course. There are some who think Microsoft is going to abandon PPC's and PPCPE's in favour of a Tablet w/ Smartphone combo strategy. Who knows.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea of the two. You may also want to check out Smartphone Thoughts (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com)for some info on Smartphones. Spend a bit of time on this site and that one and I think the differences will become evident.

Cheers,

egm007
11-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks JR! I hadn't thought of it from the 80/20 perspective. I guess I would tend to use the phone and PIM features about evenly so I should check out PPCPE. Now, only if they could be as small as a smarphone...

Cheers! :beer: