View Full Version : FirstLoox Reviews The Pocket Loox 610

Janak Parekh
11-27-2003, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.firstloox.org/610_review_1.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.firstloox.org/610_review_1.htm</a><br /><br /></div>Duncan over at FirstLoox has finished his detailed review of the 610 -- a fast Pocket PC with both WiFi and BT. I don't believe it's available in North America, but for the rest of you, check it out -- he thoroughly covers it and compares it to other Pocket PCs, and comes out liking it.<br /><br />"If 128 MB memory, dual wireless, dual expansion slots, decent battery life, speed, an excellent third party software bundle, useful OS software add-ons, large user accessible ROM storage and a very usable cursor/button arrangement are all something that you would look for in a Pocket PC - then the Loox 610 should not disappoint."

yslee
11-27-2003, 08:28 PM
No one seems to be interested in what's not coming to NorthAm, it seems. =P My only (and superficial) comment about it is: It's too big! After using a 3660 with various sleeves for the past 2.5 years, I think anything larger than that is a no no.. no point having all the features in the world if the PDA is not with you!

petvas
11-27-2003, 09:15 PM
It is also very ugly...
I disagree with Duncan that the Loox is better than the iPaq H5550...
The H5550 has a much better design, better Wireless support software and the Fingerprint scanner...
And the best screen in the PPC world...

Duncan
11-27-2003, 09:36 PM
It is also very ugly...
I disagree with Duncan that the Loox is better than the iPaq H5550...
The H5550 has a much better design, better Wireless support software and the Fingerprint scanner...
And the best screen in the PPC world...

Two of those I give you (though the wireless support software is only marginally better IMO). Better design I dispute - the Loox 610 has no need of a huge expansion pack to provide a CF slot and naked the Loox 610 is easier to hold than the iPAQ with a proper 'scroll/action button' arrangement on the side, superior cursor and button arrangement etc.

Better screen I also dispute. The Loox 610 screen is at least as good.

Of course the Loox is also faster and has superior battery life.

You may not agree with me that the Loox 610 is better than the iPAQ 5550 - but I didn't make the claim without being prepared to back it up! :)

WyattEarp
11-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Maybe I missed something but when you're benchmarking a device inside another (in this case SD in a PPC). Shouldn't the same card be tested in all the devices and not a different card in each device :?:

Duncan
11-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Ideally yes - however the benchmarks in question were those stored on the Spb site with only the Loox 610 being tested with my personal SD card. That is why I felt the only thing that could be drawn from that particular comparison was a general idea that the Loox 610 had a reasonable SD speed (the Loox 600 has a fairly slow SD speed) - and nothing more!

petvas
11-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Duncan,
As far as the design concerns, it is certainly always a personal taste thing... For me, the Loox 610 is one of the ugliest devices I have ever seen! The CF expansion is of no importance to me since the iPaq H5550 provides built-in WLAN and Bluetooth (as the Loox does), so there is no real need for a CF card. GPS can be used with Bluetooth, Memory can be expanded through the SD Slot...
Regarding Benchmarks: They do not always say the truth; The iPaq H5550 is very fast. The question to make is if the Loox is really faster in real life. Battery Life is also very good with the H5550 except when using WLAN. Removable batteries do provide extended battery life... I agree that both devices have very similar specs, I just cannot use such an ugly device. The iPaq H5550 is also very reliable and utilizes the OS very good and provides the best backup utility... I really see no reason to change it...

Duncan
11-27-2003, 11:51 PM
As far as the design concerns, it is certainly always a personal taste thing... Ah - you mean design as in looks? That is a matter of personal taste I agree (in that I don't believe the Loox 610 to be ugly at all - it is a bit like the iPAQ 2210 - pictures can be quite misleading!) - but if it helps - I do agree that the iPAQ 5xxx is one of the best looking PPCs of all time (and nicer looking than the Loox 610) BUT I still thing that the looks come with a usability penalty...

so there is no real need for a CF card.I will have to disagree - for reasons given in the review! :)

Regarding Benchmarks: They do not always say the truth; The iPaq H5550 is very fast. The question to make is if the Loox is really faster in real life. Agreed - the Loox is, IMO, noticeably (though only just) faster than the iPAQ 5xxx BUT in terms of 'hard facts' benchmarks are still the best thing we have to test these things I'mn afraid!

I agree that both devices have very similar specs In many ways I agree - but I do feel the Loox 610 has an edge. Is it one that means an iPAQ 5xxx user should change device? Probably not! BUt someone looking at upgrading from a less powerful device, or starting from scratch, or even fed up with a lack of scroll feature/built-in CF etc. - then I would happily recommend the Loox 610 over the competition.

Of course I WOULD say that (!) :wink: (though, seriously, I hope the conclusions of my review show that I am not going to blindly recommend the Loox 610 to everyone...)

dh
11-28-2003, 12:13 AM
I agree that both devices have very similar specs In many ways I agree - but I do feel the Loox 610 has an edge. Is it one that means an iPAQ 5xxx user should change device? Probably not! BUt someone looking at upgrading from a less powerful device, or starting from scratch, or even fed up with a lack of scroll feature/built-in CF etc. - then I would happily recommend the Loox 610 over the competition.

Of course I WOULD say that (!) :wink: (though, seriously, I hope the conclusions of my review show that I am not going to blindly recommend the Loox 610 to everyone...)
I really don't understand how any serious user can get by without a CF card. Is everyone finding 1GB or larger SD cards that I am missing. Maybe all you one-slot guys have Ipods and mobile DVD players so you don't use your PPCs for htis kind of thing.

To me, the Loox 610 is the one that comes closest to my ideal PPC. The only alternative would be a 5550 with CF sleeve, but that's very large and expensive. It's a shame that the designers of the e805 chose not to include BT. With htat one addition, Toshiba would be in first place.

petvas
11-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Why would I need 1GB CF? I do not play movies or music with my ipaq. I use it mainly for PIM, Email, Internet, Games and Finance apps...
I have a 512SD card....

dh
11-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Why would I need 1GB CF? I do not play movies or music with my ipaq. I use it mainly for PIM, Email, Internet, Games and Finance apps...
I have a 512SD card....
I currently have about 100MB free on my 1GB CF card. No movies at the moment, but lots of music (in both .ogg and .mp3) and quite a good library of books. I don't have a seperate MP3 player so my Axim is my main music device.

I also have a 256MB SD that I use for work stuff, maps and some applications.

Of course if there are ever large SD cards available at a sensible price my CF need will go away and I will have more choice of device. I must say though, my CF card has proven to more reliable than my SD.

I've always wished that HP would find a way to release a 5550 with CF capability (no sleeve). It would be my dream PPC if they did, especially if VGA is included as well.

Pixelnose
11-28-2003, 06:09 AM
Now I know it's not completely fair to judge the Loox 610 on the basis of my experience with the Loox 600 (we had two in the same household, with the same problems) - I dunno, the horribly slow bluetooth, that joke of a screen, the strange bugs that one encounters... maybe the Loox 610 is the pda of everyone's dreams, but I'll never buy another FSC product.

Now we have two iPaq 2210s in the household and couldn't be happier. On paper the Loox 610 may have more features (as did the Loox 600 in its day), I'm just curious what it's like to really live with one.

Not curious enough to get one though. How many Loox fans can be left after that first debacle? :lol:

Ratel10mm
11-28-2003, 09:32 AM
If the 610 cures all the problems experienced with the 600, then I'd certainly put it on the shortlist for my next device. I have a Ipaq 5550 on order at the moment, which I'm really looking forward to , but I would like the CF slot built in. For me, the 610's aerial looks like it's begging to catch in a pocket (or hit the ground first :bawl: ) & get snapped off! Hope they've made it really strong! :wink:

Duncan
11-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Now I know it's not completely fair to judge the Loox 610 on the basis of my experience with the Loox 600 (we had two in the same household, with the same problems) - I dunno, the horribly slow bluetooth, that joke of a screen, the strange bugs that one encounters... maybe the Loox 610 is the pda of everyone's dreams, but I'll never buy another FSC product.

Now we have two iPaq 2210s in the household and couldn't be happier. On paper the Loox 610 may have more features (as did the Loox 600 in its day), I'm just curious what it's like to really live with one.

Not curious enough to get one though. How many Loox fans can be left after that first debacle? :lol:

I'm not sure I would agree with your assessment of the Loox 600 - especially after the ROM/firmware updates were applied...

Putting that to one side though - how many former e740 owners bought e750s or e800s even after all they went through with tha unit? How many Casio E1xx owners bought E200s with confidence (having had such a good experience) only to be disappointed? How many iPAQ 38xx owners (and I was among those unfortunates) still went and bought the immeasurably superior 39xx?

I'd say that, rightly or wrongly, people have come to believe that past performance in the Pocket PC world is no real indicator of future.

I mean I'm still staggered that people will buy Toshiba's newest stuff after all that they know - but they do!

As I've said before as well - the Loox 600 was FSCs first (well - discounting the collaboration between Casio and Siemens which was just a rebadged Casio E1xx with some GPRS stuff put in...) - the E200, 38xx, e740 etc. were all second or third tries - so I reckon FSC have a right to be judged in the same light as every PPC company - and given the same chances.

If it helps too - FSC changed manufacturer for the Loox 610 precisely because of dissatisfaction with the work on the Loox 600.

For me, the 610's aerial looks like it's begging to catch in a pocket (or hit the ground first ) & get snapped off! Hope they've made it really strong!

I'm not delirious about the arial itself (surely someone can develop and improvement?) - but its connection to the main unit is very strong and secure.

JvanEkris
11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
I was interested as well if all problems with the old loox were fixed in the new one. I came to the conclusion they are. It is a bit big for my hands to fit nicely, and i absolutely hate the way bluetooth and WiFi are controlled through "the button that was previously used for tasks". It is software-managed, and i had several occasions where i turned the bluetooth radio off, and the Loox turned it on again 8O . Not what i have in mind.

Personally i miss the small rounded design of the old Loox. Although it is not that much bigger, it looks a lot bigger because it's rectangular shape.

The screen and sound are absolutely fabulous. Better than the Ipaq 55xx series. A friend of mine works for TomTom and had both next to each other. The screen is better readable in sunlight, and fantastic to watch films/TV. The bass-sound is very good, and can match the better walkmans.

Am i going to buy it (i have one for review) ? No, i'm not. On the whole a very nice machine, but not good enough to convince me to spend around 600 euro. When the price drops, and i'm agonized enough by my current Loox, perhaps i will buy it.

JvanEkris
11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
I was interested as well if all problems with the old loox were fixed in the new one. I came to the conclusion they are. It is a bit big for my hands to fit nicely, and i absolutely hate the way bluetooth and WiFi are controlled through "the button that was previously used for tasks". It is software-managed, and i had several occasions where i turned the bluetooth radio off, and the Loox turned it on again 8O . Not what i have in mind.

Personally i miss the small rounded design of the old Loox. Although it is not that much bigger, it looks a lot bigger because it's rectangular shape.

The screen and sound are absolutely fabulous. Better than the Ipaq 55xx series. A friend of mine works for TomTom and had both next to each other. The screen is better readable in sunlight, and fantastic to watch films/TV. The bass-sound is very good, and can match the better walkmans.

Am i going to buy it (i have one for review) ? No, i'm not. On the whole a very nice machine, but not good enough to convince me to spend around 600 euro. When the price drops, and i'm agonized enough by my current Loox, perhaps i will buy it.

Jaap