View Full Version : Digital Camera and Battery Questions/Ideas?

JustinGTP
11-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Hello PPCT Members and Guests,

I would like to know your opinion on this camera. I recently bought the Samsung Digimax 300 - and I am returning it tonight for a number of reasons, no optical zoom and it eats the batteries.

So, when I return it, (1 day old) I am looking to replace it with this camera, the Samsung Digimax 360. It has optical zoom and a higher digital zoom, and I would like your opinions on it. It is just over $100 more...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=14&WLBS=fsweb9&sku_id=0665000FS10028636&catid=&newdeptid=14

And, since all digital camers eat batteries like mad, would these AA rechargeables work?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=2&WLBS=fsweb9&sku_id=0665000FS10024241&catid=&newdeptid=2

Thanks!

-Justin.

JustinGTP
11-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Hmm... Well

I bought the Digimax 360 and I then I got the rechargeables, and it works like a dream, and there are many more functions the lower model did not have. I wonder when they can create cameras that do not "Eat" batteries - I found out that most cameras do and they suggest rechargeables for a number of reasons.

-Justin.

Janak Parekh
11-28-2003, 07:03 AM
I wonder when they can create cameras that do not "Eat" batteries - I found out that most cameras do and they suggest rechargeables for a number of reasons.
Some cameras do have superb battery life, such as the Canon Digital SLRs. One thing you can do on most consumer digitals is to turn off the LCD when taking photos; that makes a big difference, although it's not nearly as much fun.

--janak

JustinGTP
11-29-2003, 07:44 AM
One thing you can do on most consumer digitals is to turn off the LCD when taking photos; that makes a big difference, although it's not nearly as much fun.

--janak

Hehehe, I know, I turn it off sometimes, but it tells you everything, whats on, what mode etc. etc. and I leave it on now that I have rechargeable batteries :D

-Justin.

maximus
12-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Actually, not all digital cameras 'eat' battery charge. I played with Minolta's Dimage A1 sometimes ago, and it gave me 600+ shots with 25% flash on a single charge. Amazing battery life, superb pictures.

Try comparing the battery life with nikon's non-DSLR flagship, the Coolpix 5700. Coolpix 5700 is cool, but I had to bring at least 3 spare batteries with me. That is the exact reason why I dumped the 5700.

GoldKey
12-04-2003, 02:25 PM
From my experience models that take AA's eat through the batteries (based on two Kodaks that I had). I now have a Canon S30 (with their own battery pack) and I have never had a problem with the battery running out in a day of normal shooting. With the Kodaks I had to change batteries a few times in a day.

yslee
12-04-2003, 09:06 PM
For high current devices, you should be using NiMH batteries. Thought that'd be pretty common knowledge by now.

JustinGTP
12-05-2003, 11:33 PM
For high current devices, you should be using NiMH batteries. Thought that'd be pretty common knowledge by now.

Well as I said in a previous post I bought rechargable NiMH batteries...