View Full Version : 3 Simple Questions. (I think)

Guido
11-26-2003, 05:28 PM
I just got my first PPC - an iPAQ 3650 and have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to. Hopefully someone here has an answer.

1)
I read in my "Pocket PC for Dummies" book (don't laugh!!!) that at midnight my PPC wakes up and does some funky date/time checks, etc. Being the skeptical person that I am, I stayed awake until midnight and what do you know... it's true! It turns on, backlight and all, and after a minute or so turns off. Why does it do that? What's the purpose of turning the backlight on? My battery life sucks as it is - is there any way to stop this from happening?

2)
A similar thing happens when I have an alarm set to an appointment. Even if my PPC is off, it will turn on and inform me of my appointment. I don't like that, because 90% of the time I'm not even around to see it, so it just wastes my battery. But I do like the idea of the LED flashing (I doubt it takes much power). In my setting I do not select the "Display Message" option, yet it still turns on. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get it to only flash the LED, but NOT turn the unit on?

3)
I'm in the market for an expansion pack. I will be using it only for increased memory capacity - I have zero intentions of connecting a modem, GPS, etc. I did some research and decided to get one with a battery pack, but I don't know if I should get the CF one or the PC Card type one. I'm shopping on ebay and am confused with the options. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

masaki
11-26-2003, 05:33 PM
#1 - To refresh the new day's appointments, tasks, etc. I don't think you can stop the iPAQ from waking up at midnight. Change the clock :)

#2 - I don't think there's anything wrong. My iPAQs all do that and so do my friends'. I'm not sure if there's a way to just flash the LED and not switch on the PPC.

#3 - I believe that the CF Expansion Pack Plus's battery actually powers the iPAQ but the PC Card one's battery powers the PC card only. Thought I'm not 100% sure on that.

Guido
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the reply
Anyone else have suggestions?