View Full Version : Axim X5 my last hope?

welmoed
11-24-2003, 02:44 PM
I currently have a Casio E-125 that is working fine... for now. However, I feel like I am missing out on a lot of neat stuff by being trapped in PPC2000 land. I would like to upgrade to a newer PDA but finances will not permit anything over $300. Plus, I have quite a few CF cards I would like to hang onto and be able to use in whatever PDA I get. Is the X5 the only one out there to still use CF cards? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration before making the leap to a new PDA? I've had this one since the model first came out.

Thanks for any feedback.

--Welmoed

WyattEarp
11-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Check out the HP H19xx & H22xx series at hp.com (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/home/store_access.jsp?template_type=storefronts&category=handhelds&aoid=1462) two more excellent PPCs with CF slots.

If you have any must keep software on your Casio check to see if it has been updated for WM2003 or is compatible. If not then check for something that is equivelent to it that you can use instead.

Sale time is coming up due to the holidays so I'm sure you can find a low price for what ever PPC you choose if you look. Happy hunting. :D

Steven Cedrone
11-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Check out the HP H19xx & H22xx series at hp.com two more excellent PPCs with CF slots.

The 19xx series do not have CF slots...

Steve

WyattEarp
11-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Check out the HP H19xx & H22xx series at hp.com two more excellent PPCs with CF slots.

The 19xx series do not have CF slots...

Steve

Thanks for that correction. I thought it did.

David Prahl
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
The Axim X5, HP iPaq 2215/2210, and Asus A620 all have CompactFlash card slots.

If you'd like Bluetooth you should consider the 2215. My only PPC (that I really own) is the X5, and I'm very satisfied (until I saw the X3i 8O ). The A620 is a little more expensive, but has wonderful video performance.

yvilla
12-13-2003, 07:01 PM
The Toshiba e750/5 has CF, and built in wireless too! My understanding is that there are some great sales on this going on right now, because the newer e800/5 model is out.

shawnc
12-13-2003, 07:08 PM
The X5 has EXCEEDED all my expectations in terms of performance. For me, it's not truly "pocketable" because of the heft. I've never owned a 2215, but the form is exceptional. Hard to believe a dual-slot machine can be so lightweight. And the screen is beautiful.

Look at the X5 as a Chevy. Very functional, durable, and affordable. If the size/weight of the machine is not important to you, you will love this machine.

Vulcan
12-13-2003, 07:24 PM
I have been very happy with the Toshiba E750...it has both the cf and SD memory slots as well as WiFi. The price has recently dropped $100 Canadian.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-13-2003, 07:28 PM
I have been very happy with the Toshiba E750...it has both the cf and SD memory slots as well as WiFi. The price has recently dropped $100 Canadian.

I would be happy with Toshiba handhelds if they were made and supported by anyone other than Toshiba. I had two really bad experiences with their "tech support" when I had my E330 and that pretty much soured me on them altogether.

Vulcan
12-14-2003, 01:49 AM
I have read a lot of horror stories about the E740 with PPC2002. Not too many positive posts.....on the other had if you read a lot of forums you are getting a lot of negative feedback as those owners tend to write/post more than Joe Plug who is having no problems.

WyattEarp
12-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I have read a lot of horror stories about the E740 with PPC2002. Not too many positive posts.....on the other had if you read a lot of forums you are getting a lot of negative feedback as those owners tend to write/post more than Joe Plug who is having no problems.

Unfortunately support is never the same for everyone but, Toshiba seems to have left a lot of PPC owners with a sour taste in their mouths. Toshiba has been horrible at the support level especially when an improved PPC has come to town. Including upgrading to the next OS. Hopefully they will be better with the new e4xx and e8xx series because it will need it.

PetiteFlower
12-15-2003, 07:03 PM
The 740 did have a lot of problems but as far as I have heard most of them were fixed in the 755.

Vincent M Ferrari
12-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but I doubt their tech support has changed much considering people still hate it...

Their problem wasn't so much their hardware: Everyone has hardware issues (check out how many ROM updates HP released immediately after the 5550), but Toshiba's tech support is generally unresponsive and unhelpful, and that's annoying.

I loved my E330, but after 2 bad experiences with their "support," I ditched it. I like to know that the company I bought something from cares when I have a problem.