View Full Version : Help w/ wi-fi please!

sasquatchw/ppc
11-24-2003, 10:17 AM
I have an e740 and I have found a lot of good spots but some of them have WEP and give me the IP adress 169-254 etc. Which I have been told is bogus or something like that, and I can't connect at that spot. Is there a way around it or something. I use a program called pocket warrior to help me find spots. please help.

P. S. I would also like to be able to send/recieve hotmail on my PPC is there a certain browser that supports this or a certain place that offers something thats supported by PIE.

Thanks a million

_

David Prahl
11-24-2003, 05:43 PM
For clarification:

Are you asking how to enter a WEP key, or how to crack WEP? The idea behind those encrypted networks is that only devices with a 128 character key can log in.

sasquatchw/ppc
11-25-2003, 01:28 AM
both maybe? cracking might be preferable. This is my first foray into WIFI.

David Prahl
11-25-2003, 02:01 AM
Well, I can't do that! :lol: It's quite illegal, and hopping onto a network that doesn't use WEP is already questionable. If it's a network that you have a key for you can enter it in the driver program that is installed on your device.

Looking for wireless networks ("wardriving") is really fun, but cracking WEP is wrong. It's obvious that the person behind the Access Point wants to keep their WLAN secure, and WEP is the method they're using.

Try installing Pocket WiNc or MiniStumbler to look for networks. If you have a GPS reciever you can even map them!