View Full Version : HP iPAQ Pocket PC h5500 Series Firmware Update

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2003, 04:13 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5644.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5644.html</a><br /><br />HP has released another firmware update for their 5500 series devices. This is an XIP update so should take no RAM. :way to go: Fixes include:<br /><br />• Fingerprint Software Version 3.7: Corrects where it allowed to select alphanumeric characters using the softkey with the "simple 4 digit PIN" option for Password and corrects the 12 and 24 hours option where it could not be selected in the "Prompt if device unused for" field under Password. <br />• Bluetooth Driver Version 1.4.1.58: Corrects problem where system would hang when disconnecting a PAN connection via the Incoming Connection icon, corrects a problem where the device needed a Normal Reset after being turned off while transferring data via SPP, for example, while connected to a Bluetooth GPS device, corrects the proxy settings getting erased in the Bluetooth Settings and corrects a problem when using 'Dial via Bluetooth' which would not accept spaces in the phone number. <br />• Corrects an issue where the iPAQ unit does not waking up to perform a scheduled iPAQ Backup. <br />• Restore ClearType Tuner that was removed by the previous XIP update (English and German only).<br />• Wireless LAN Driver Version 3.2.2.123: Improves Connectivity and Roaming ability for wireless LAN users.<br /><br />It is a 5.4MB download. Remember, make a backup after you are done and have completed a soft reset. Do not attempt to restore a backup from from the previous ROM.

tddisc
11-22-2003, 04:49 PM
My current ROM version is 1.00.10. Do I need to apply the previous updates before I apply this one? Or is it a combined update and I can just apply this one, 1.00.18?

TD

billcalle
11-22-2003, 06:26 PM
It really gets my goat that every time one of these updates come out there are all sorts of availability problems for the first few days. At the moment I'm getting a "The page cannot be displayed" message (for the last 45 minutes). Do these guys really not know how to manage a website?

ricksfiona
11-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Actually, this has been out for several days now...

I applied the new ROM and I don't think the LAN driver works as well as the older version. I had big problems with the new LAN driver so I reverted to the old ROM.

ricksfiona
11-22-2003, 08:00 PM
It really gets my goat that every time one of these updates come out there are all sorts of availability problems for the first few days. At the moment I'm getting a "The page cannot be displayed" message (for the last 45 minutes). Do these guys really not know how to manage a website?

There could be a dozen reasons why you're getting that message, none of them H.P.'s fault.

billcalle
11-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Ricksfionia - You are correct, there could be a dozen reasons why I was getting that message. In this case, I actually did the due diligence to check their FTP site that the link on the web page was pointing to. That specific SoftPaq just simply wasn't there. About 10 minutes ago, suddenly the SoftPaq showed back up. In this case I'd have to say it was HP's fault.

Regardless, now that I have successfully downloaded the beast I'm nervous about applying it given your experience. Any more details on your degraded LAN functionality?

DaleReeck
11-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Actually, this is the exact same ROM update they released a month or so ago. All they did was add back the Cleartype Tuner program that they accidently erased from the last ROM update.

billcalle
11-22-2003, 10:44 PM
DaleReeck - How do you know that it is the same update? I applied the update a month ago, and my Wireless LAN driver version is at 3.2.2.115. The ROM update says it will upgrade the driver to 3.2.2.123. The other driver versions seem not to change though.

WyattEarp
11-22-2003, 11:12 PM
DaleReeck - How do you know that it is the same update? I applied the update a month ago, and my Wireless LAN driver version is at 3.2.2.115. The ROM update says it will upgrade the driver to 3.2.2.123. The other driver versions seem not to change though.

If the component numbers did not change to any of these

- Wireless LAN Driver Version 3.2.2.123

- Fingerprint Software Version 3.7

- Bluetooth Driver Version 1.4.1.58

then the update did not take. As stated before it is the same update but also replaces the ClearType Tuner perviously removed.

Jerry Raia
11-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Does this upgrade wipe out your software and then require you to reinstall everything?

mmidgley
11-22-2003, 11:22 PM
it did look exactly the same as the last one at first glance--then I looked again to make sure they didn't re-release it for other languages or something like that. after i figured it out that it was for my device (and I trusted that the install app would verify my device type) I went ahead. I just installed the update (I think).

that's nice of them to put the cleartype thing back in. it would also be nice if the wifi works better for me (despite some negative reporting).

I just checked asset viewer, and the wifi driver is still 3.2.2.115. Does that mean it didn't take? It went though the whole process and claimed success! The cleartype tuner is back!

My iPAQ 5555 still reports 1.00.10 ENG at bootup, and I guess they won't change that unless they put out an entire rom image change.

m.

ctmagnus
11-23-2003, 01:23 AM
This may have been the case with the previous rom update but I now have 17.4MB free in my File Store whereas I used to have only 17.1MB free, at least when it was factory-fresh and had no new rom updates applied. There has been nothing in file store any time I've done these comparisons.

billcalle
11-23-2003, 03:11 AM
I installed the update twice! The cleartype tuner is definitely back, but my wifi driver is definitely the 115 build number.

dhettel
11-23-2003, 04:20 AM
I installed the update twice! The cleartype tuner is definitely back, but my wifi driver is definitely the 115 build number.

Did you turn off your iPAQ, remove the battery, press the soft reset button 5 times, replace the battery and press the soft reset button again?

I would not really be suprised that the WLAN driver is 115, the other one 3.2.2.123 is the leap driver!

David

DaleReeck
11-23-2003, 04:20 AM
Strange, all my version numbers updated correctly, including WiFi at v123. It updated to 123 when I applied it a month ago and it stayed that same version when I updated it again to get back the Cleartype Tuner.

Jerry Raia
11-23-2003, 04:39 AM
So did you guys have to reinstall all your programs after the upgrade or not???

ctmagnus
11-23-2003, 04:53 AM
So did you guys have to reinstall all your programs after the upgrade or not???

They stayed intact.

Ed Hansberry
11-23-2003, 05:08 AM
Did you turn off WiFi before the update?

Jerry Raia
11-23-2003, 06:34 AM
Well almost 100% ok after the upgrade. It seems now that Nice Start Bio Scan crashes my iPAQ. I suspect this might have to do with the fingerprint upgrade on the 5555. Maybe some incompatability was introduced.

billcalle
11-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Yes, definitely. The second time I tried it I even did a battery remove then a reset. I have a feeling dhettel's observation is correct. If you have the leap driver installed you probably get 123 and otherwise you get 115. All in all I've noticed no difference in anything other than that the ClearType Tuner is back.

bazza
11-23-2003, 10:43 AM
As per the last update you must change your regional settings to US if you are outside of the USA.

I updated with no problems.

:werenotworthy:

Jerry Raia
11-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Yes, definitely. The second time I tried it I even did a battery remove then a reset. I have a feeling dhettel's observation is correct. If you have the leap driver installed you probably get 123 and otherwise you get 115. All in all I've noticed no difference in anything other than that the ClearType Tuner is back.

I did not have the LEAP driver installed and got 123.

gracar
11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm having the same problem with this one as I did with the previous SP...when I try to load it I get an error message

"failed to load control Rich text Box from RICHTX32.OCX your version of RICHTX32.OCX may be outdated"

I have tried to open the SP on two different PCs and get the same error. has anyone any idea what it means and what the solution is?

Kevin Daly
11-24-2003, 05:28 PM
As per the last update you must change your regional settings to US if you are outside of the USA.
:werenotworthy:

That would make it completely unacceptable to me to start with.
When did HP suddenly develop an aversion to localisation?

I am not about to start pretending I am in the USA just because device manufacturers are lazy and/or stupid.

Tom_Gilheany
11-24-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm pleased that hp has finally also posted the hp slim keyboard driver.
(This is the keyboard "sleeve" with screen-cover).

Previous version did not install if you were running Win2000. (Had to install on my XP machine, since Win2000 said the CD was missing a file).

Half of HP tech-support didn't realize this product existed.

Previous version also tended to have the driver exit when Windows was cleaning up memory (so you'd have to go back & re-start the keyboard program at inconvenient times).

-->Tom

Tom_Gilheany
11-25-2003, 01:17 AM
Bummer -- When installing the driver, I get:

The file
"\Windows\AppMgr\Install\hp
iPAQ update.CAB" is not a valid
Windows CE Setup file.