View Full Version : Group Policy Editor from Pro to XP Home Edition????

Jonathan1
11-22-2003, 09:22 AM
OK before you say it I know that Windows XP Home Edition does not have the group policy editor.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has copied the:
C:\windows\system32\
\GroupPolicy
gpedit.msc
gpedit.dll

To a Home version to see if it would work.

I ask because I'm working on tweaking a friends system and the poor sucker has home edition which keeps me from locking down some specific settings to help secure his system. I know that the GPE really is just a pretty front end for the registry and that if I spent enough time I could track down the reg entries that govern the 30 or so settings I want to change. So does anyone know if this would work?
Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. :)

carphead
11-22-2003, 09:59 AM
I doubt if GP is enabled in Home edition. The basic function of group policy is provide Domain Policy's. As Home edition can't be added to a Domain I guess it's not enabled as well

As I've never used Home edition I can't confirm that but I'll install it and give it a go.

Janak Parekh
11-23-2003, 02:53 AM
I doubt if GP is enabled in Home edition. The basic function of group policy is provide Domain Policy's.
Not necessarily -- it can also edit Local Security Policy. But on that note, perhaps one could just copy secpol.msc (and associated .dlls)? As far as I can tell, that's a strict subset of GP on a non-domain-joined XP Pro machine.

Anyway, I haven't tried it either, and I don't have easy access to an XP Home box.

--janak

Jonathan1
11-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks guy. I'm going to ghost out the system before I try this and give it a shot.