View Full Version : HP Continues Winning Streak at Best of Comdex 2003 Awards

Jason Dunn
11-22-2003, 10:40 AM
"Further reinforcing HP’s role as an innovation leader in the technology industry, the HP Media Center PC m390n Photosmart PC and the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h4350 were recognized at the Best of Comdex 2003 award ceremony yesterday in Las Vegas...The HP iPAQ Pocket PC h4350, which was honored as a finalist in the Mobile Devices category, is a new iPAQ form factor which includes an integrated backlit keyboard allowing consumers to input information via the keyboard or the stylus. This iPAQ h4350 also features integrated wireless LAN network access(1) (802.11b) and Bluetooth™ wireless technology plus a Secure Digital input/output (SDIO) expansion slot."

ricktakagi
11-22-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking of picking up one of the 4350's but I'm wondering just how big the thing will be once a case is wrapped around it. I think it might be one of those things that looks great but a pain to carry around. Anyone have that feeling after buying one yet?

SandersP
11-22-2003, 05:42 PM
From pictures, it's about the size of h5550, but thinner. The problem is not so much how big it becomes with a case, but finding a nice case for it.

bdegroodt
11-22-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking of picking up one of the 4350's but I'm wondering just how big the thing will be once a case is wrapped around it. I think it might be one of those things that looks great but a pain to carry around. Anyone have that feeling after buying one yet?

It's good and bad. Certainly very thin and beautiful. It is a little bit longer, though I can and do still put it in a jeans back pocket without it sticking out the top of the pocket. A case would add a bit more to it, though I've been using the case that ships with it and it's not that bulky but not that nice either.

I will say that I've had issues with the BT and WiFi manager being a bit clunky and causing me to soft reset no less than 10 times in 72 hours. :evil:

ricksfiona
11-22-2003, 08:04 PM
If it had 128MB like my 5550, I would've gotten the 4350 instead.

Craig Horlacher
11-22-2003, 08:05 PM
It still amazes me that Ipaqs are called innovative. They are anything but that. This model still doesn't have a cf slot!!! Can you beileve that? Any hardcore pocket pc person has to have a cf slot and if size means anything to you a sleeve is not an option. The only ipaq that was worthy of being called innovative was the original for being the first ppc with a color screen that was usable outside and for being the first ppc with a 206MHz strongarm processor. But even the design of that was very questionalbe requiring a sleeve for *any* card expansion.

What is innovation? How about the Toshiba E800. 480x640 screen, cf II, sdio, 32mb internal non-volital storage, 128mb internal memory - not to mention the bios. Oh yeah, and it has 802.11b built in.

Yeah, Toshiba has had customer service problems and some defects in the past but hp/compaq actually don't have a great record either. People just seem to be blinded by the apparently very cool ipaq name.

I wish people would really look at all the device before they say one is most innovative. That's a big statement with a device like the e800 out, or nearly out, there.

Craig Horlacher
11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I just wanted to add that I realize I'm stating a lot of opionions. I do think my main point comes through but I may have not been as diplomatic as I should have. I'm sure you can be a hardcore pocket pc user without having a cf slot. It's just that for my uses, a cf slot is a very basic requirement.

dh
11-22-2003, 08:36 PM
HP probably have the best hospitality suites with a large booze budget, so they are bound to get lots of these awards. If the two new Ipaqs had been designed with CF as well as SD, I would have been more interested. A high end PPC should also have 128 MB as Rick says.

I do like the idea of a keypad, but I believe HP's designers could have been more imaginative. It looks like an afterthought to me, rather like that nasty Hitachi thing.

Incidently, the winner of Best of Comdex for Mobile Devices was the "not even avaialble" MSN Direct. MS must have a "good entertaining the press budget" as well. The other finalist (along with the Ipaq) was the Treo 600, which would have gotten my vote. Of course Handspring was broke and pa1mOne not much better, so they probably only had soft drinks. :D

Jason Dunn
11-22-2003, 09:12 PM
It still amazes me that Ipaqs are called innovative. They are anything but that. This model still doesn't have a cf slot!!!

If you want a CF slot, buy an iPAQ 2215.

CF slots add to the size of the device, and with built-in Bluetooth and WiFi, I think having an SD slot is just fine. Sure, I'd *like* to have a CF slot as well, but it would add to the thickness and HP obviously didn't want to do that.

dh
11-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Or if you want 128MB, CF, SD, WiFi and BT get a Loox 610. I assume they will be available in the US at some point.

Should you wish to add a nice VGA screen as well, you better be patient for a few more months and see what happens next year. :D

ricktakagi
11-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Has anyone seen an after market case yet for the 4350? I'm thinking the only design that might make sense is opening from the side?

Rick T.

thunderck
11-24-2003, 04:32 PM
I have had two HP service issues through 3 Ipaqs I have always gotten good service. If I would not have gotten my 2215 I would have picked up something from Toshiba. (I love the USB) As a side note is it true that only specific apps run in 800X600 mode on the e800?

I think the keyboard will appeal to a new set of users that don't like the stylist. I would love to see HP release so underlying function calls like the ones for the SMS reg to that a network provider, like Sprint, Verizon, ect, could deploy wireless Push E-mail to corporate users. (But that is my wish list)
:roll: