View Full Version : XDA II being used in the states?

brices21
11-22-2003, 06:33 AM
I'm just looking for a little feedback from people have been bold enough to order either of the XDA II devices from outside the country(MDA II, O2 XDA II, or Imate) for use in the US.

Any noticeable drawbacks to doing this?

Any language or compatability issues?

How about carrier issues, reception, etc...

Overall software problems?

Warranty concerns?

Where did you buy from?

Just doing a little research. As I read more and more about what is available and where, I seem to be getting some mixed responses. So far it looks like the SE Asian Imate is the best option, but I have reservations...

Thanks in advance... :mrgreen:

arebelspy
11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Works perfectly.

-arebelspy

brices21
11-24-2003, 11:44 PM
thanks for responding arebelspy, which version did you get?

Jon Westfall
11-25-2003, 02:44 AM
I have an i-mate branded XDA II (from Dubai, purchased for me in Bahrain). After using it for 2 weeks now, I can report the following:

* Reception is about the same as my XDA with T-Mobile in Cleveland Ohio, if not a tad bit better.

* GPRS seems a bit faster, but this might just be an illusion.

* Screen is beautiful in comparison to my old XDA screen. Check out my personal site (hit the "Clicky Clicky" link at the bottom)'s imate area for a screen comparison shot.

* I've heard some horror stories about some nasty bugs on some of these early release machines, however mine appears to be hardware-flaw free. I know that my warrenty would require me to ship it to Dubai if it should ever need service, so my old XDA is sticking by my side in case something should happen. Most people find these hardware bugs pretty fast (within the first 7 days), so I'm hopefully in the safe zone.

The default language on mine is English, however I can set it to Arabic if I choose (This is also easily turn-off-able).

Finally, the best part of having this device is the wow-factor when using it (compared to previous pda's) and when others are looking at it. It makes you really sound cool to say "Yea, I had to import it directly since they don't sell them in this country". Maybe a bit of bragging, but it is the best bit I've had in a long time ;)

I hope to add more to my i-mate site soon, so if you guys have any suggestions as to what you want to see, let me know.

brices21
11-25-2003, 03:23 AM
Hey, thanks a bunch for the info. I've seen those Dubai versions available too.

I still think I'm gonna wait until t-mobile at least decides/announces that they will be releasing them in the states. Not to mention I just got an XDA I off of eBay to "hold me over" until the XDA II's are more available.

MaximumPDA
12-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Finally got mine from Expansys.us, yesterday it works great. MMS messaging works and it seemed to config itself. I use AT&T Wireless. For GPRS just set your AP to "proxy" with out the quotes and internet kicks right in. I only mention those items because if you buy from another place other than your wireless carrier, getting the unit to work is your responsibility not theirs typically.

I have some complaints but there not deal breakers. I don’t have time to go into them here, I working on a full review. If you were happy with the XDA I then this will be a good fit for you and a worthwhile upgrade.

--Bill

brices21
12-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Bill. I look forward to the review :)

I have a new found "hope" after t-mobile's official announcement yesterday regarding Windows Mobile 2003 for XDA I users, and am fairly sure t-mobile in the U.S. will go to the XDA II, now it's just a matter of how long it will take them to do so.

P.S. I heard a rumor that t-mobile is already working on it, but are waiting on FCC (or similar government agency) approval.

gratefuled
12-06-2003, 02:15 AM
I'm also a Clevelander. I got my device from Canada, Tek N Toys.
It is the T-Mobile MDA II. It was set up in German language and I had to flash it with an English Rom.
Works great. One amazing device. Everything I have tried to do on this device has worked very easily. I also wanted to use thin client technology on my pocket pc, which has been out there, but I always struggled with it. Not with this baby.
Good to know there is another one around NE Ohio.
Ed

dcreative
12-06-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm also a Clevelander. I got my device from Canada, Tek N Toys.
It is the T-Mobile MDA II. It was set up in German language and I had to flash it with an English Rom.
Works great. One amazing device. Everything I have tried to do on this device has worked very easily. I also wanted to use thin client technology on my pocket pc, which has been out there, but I always struggled with it. Not with this baby.
Good to know there is another one around NE Ohio.
Ed

gratefuled,

I have a friend trying to track me a German T-mobile MDA II while ge's there. Do those come with German language and English?

How did you get the ROM flashed with English Rom?

Thanks,

Jeff

ctmagnus
12-06-2003, 05:41 AM
How did you get the ROM flashed with English Rom?

iirc, Tek N Toys do it themselves. But I don't know first-hand as I'm not the the Phone Edition-type of person.

ppc
12-11-2003, 07:07 AM
My i-Mate works great on T-Mobile service in Houston by simply transferring a SIM from a Nokia 3650.

Phone functions, SMS, etc. worked instantly. GPRS (email, Internet) required minimal setup. Much easier than previous configuration of 2 separate devices (Nokia 3650 + Ipaq 2215).

jkcofield
12-11-2003, 11:48 AM
The only thing I'm having problems with now is MMS. I followed some directions from PPCW.net but nothing.

Other than that, what a GREAT device! This is the what I've been waiting for since I got my first computer back in '83!

Got it yesterday from Phones4Devs and was lucky enough to get in on the $100 off deal.

Regards,

Jeff C

dvinnola
12-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Are you talking about the $100 off deal to make the i-mate $895? I bought the mda ii throught the ppc thoughts affiliate site for cheaper than that so is there a difference in the units?

jkcofield
12-12-2003, 01:05 PM
They had a deal at Modaco/Phones4Devs earlier this week that if you put in a code from the Modaco website, you got $100 of the $846 price. The deal only lasted a day...maybe two at the most.

They're running a new special, but I'm not sure what it is. I got REALLY lucky that I got mine for such a great price.

Thanks Modaco and Phones4Devs! I love my I-Mate!

Regards,

Jeff C.