View Full Version : Is it really going to cost this much...

Busdriver
11-21-2003, 09:30 PM
to get my Vaio repaired?

The power plug has come loose so the charger will no longer charge the battery. Of course, the warranty has expired. So I took it to CompUSA and they said, sure we can fix it, for 712 bucks!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O Sony is going to charge 278 bucks just to look at it. C'mon, am I the only one who has needed a laptop repaired?? Are people really having to pay this?? Is there a secret handshake that I don't know about??

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the evil world of laptop repairs. :roll: Half the time, with everything connected directly to the motherboard, when one part goes, it's like buying a whole new laptop. :|

Makes those extended warranties seem worth it now, hey? :wink:

Busdriver
11-21-2003, 09:41 PM
I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything, but my "policy" may have bit me on this one. :evil:

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 10:08 PM
I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything, but my "policy" may have bit me on this one. :evil:

My general rule of thumb is that anything under $500 isn't worth it, but anything over that, quite possibly.

Did you perhaps purchase it with a credit card that has a warranty enhancer? Most Gold VISA cards offer that I think....

Busdriver
11-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Good suggestion. Unfortunately, I didn't use a credit card.

Looks like I may have to fire up the ol' soldering iron. 8O It would appear that I don't have much to lose.