View Full Version : Charging battery through USB - is it possible?

Guido
11-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Can the iPAQ 3650 be charged through the USB port? I found many chargers on ebay doing exactly that, but the HP site says it can only be charged through the adapter plug.
Who's lying?

Jason Dunn
11-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Yes, it can be charged through a USB cable. :-D

Dave Potter
11-22-2003, 12:26 AM
Check out:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisync/ms_ipaq_3637.htm

This solution will synch and charge your iPAQ at the same time

Dave

ctmagnus
11-23-2003, 06:06 AM
It should be noted that cables like these actually cause your battery to lose charge if the unit is left on while connected.

Perhaps a better name would be "sync or charge cables".

Jason Dunn
11-23-2003, 07:32 AM
It should be noted that cables like these actually cause your battery to lose charge if the unit is left on while connected. Perhaps a better name would be "sync or charge cables".

What on earth are you talking about? I've been using cables like this for well over a year now and the unit re-charges while it is connected AND synchronizing.

ctmagnus
11-23-2003, 10:22 AM
It should be noted that cables like these actually cause your battery to lose charge if the unit is left on while connected. Perhaps a better name would be "sync or charge cables".

What on earth are you talking about? I've been using cables like this for well over a year now and the unit re-charges while it is connected AND synchronizing.

:oops:

That was kinda out of left field. I was thinking about a completely different product that's similar only in appearance to a sync and charge cable.

I'm very, very sorry for that bit of misinformation in my previous post. :oops:

Jason Dunn
11-23-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm very, very sorry for that bit of misinformation in my previous post. :oops:

No worries! :wink:

Guido
11-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Since it's possible, then what would be the purpose of having a separate charging plug on the unit and not just do everything through the USB port? I mean, why the extra complexity & added weight, plus the dual cables on the cradle? Is there an advantage to using the charging plug as opposed to the USB to charge? Supposedly you can sync and charge at the same time.
Any ideas?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2003, 08:04 PM
USB charging is slower than AC charging - it's that simple. :-)

Guido
11-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Another mystery solved!!!! :)

Thanks!