View Full Version : closing windows/minimizing

britchick
11-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I am a newbie but have been reading a lot of your posts while researching and awaiting the arrival of my e755. I got it yesterday. :)

I have been trying to search the forum for a post about closing windows. I remember someone said that clicking the 'x' or OK does not really close down the apps, just minimizes them. How do you simply go about closing down all your windows so as not to have tons of apps running in the background?

My unit seized up last night and had to be reset. I presume it was because I was just opening everything while I was getting aquainted with my new 'toy'.

Thanks.

Falstaff
11-20-2003, 08:35 PM
To close programs, press the button second from right (the house) and then click the tab "Running." To close a program, tap and hold on its name, then select either stop to close the one program, or stop all. Even better would be if you had an app like Battery Pack that had an omnipresent task switcher.

tanalasta
11-21-2003, 03:59 AM
Better yet, do what a lot of pocketpc users do and install a third party program/plugin that changes the way the x on the screen works or provides a way to close programs. Wisbar/icbar, batterypack 2004, spb and handymenu spring to mind.

DinarSoft
11-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Actually it's not HandyMenu (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&jid=1C926A9774AEFEA1697X161986A112EX&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=79935&sectionId=0&posit=0&topOption=3&catalog=1&topSectionId=0)
It's HandySwitcher (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=1C926A9774AEFEA1697X161986A112EX&productId=85760) that makes the (X) really closes along with other features
[/url]

britchick
11-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all your help. I had gotten so into using the stylus I hadn't even pressed the buttons, but found the home one shortly after I posted. But then I thought there had to be another way to actually close the windows without looking under the 'running' tab.

Now I know about HandySwitcher I will get that - sounds like it will make things really easy. Thanks!

portnoy
11-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all your help. I had gotten so into using the stylus I hadn't even pressed the buttons, but found the home one shortly after I posted. But then I thought there had to be another way to actually close the windows without looking under the 'running' tab.

Now I know about HandySwitcher I will get that - sounds like it will make things really easy. Thanks!

Another way is to go to "settings/system/memory" and choose "Running Programs" and close them there. Personally, I just do a quick soft reboot every couple of days.

Steven Cedrone
11-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Another option would be something like WisBar Advance... (http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/)

Features
Compatible with PocketPC 2002, 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 operating systems.
Choose whether you want a program closed, minimized or ignored
Manage your running tasks without using the stylus.
Change the look and feel of the taskbar and Today menubar with custom skins.
Popup dialogs that provide a consistent interface with PocketPC 2002 and 2003.
Two customizable buttons with tap and tap-and-hold actions.
Change the format of the date and time display.
Fonts can be rendered in ClearType and with shadows.
Can cancel a dialog by tapping and holding the OK button.

Steve

tsb_hcy
11-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Get Wisbar Advance. You'll never look back.

zucchini
01-21-2004, 09:10 AM
does Wisbar doesnt seem to have good intergration with the PPC phone edition..

i want to show the phone signal stregth but wisbar cant..

DinarSoft
01-21-2004, 12:50 PM
When we implemented HandySwitcher (our task manager utility) we aimed it for PPCPE users, because we knew they need to see the signal strength and WisBar/ICBar is not helping in this area as they hide all the notification icons

HandySwitcher is a very light weight application too (only ~80KB) and will give you a lot of functionality.

does Wisbar doesnt seem to have good intergration with the PPC phone edition..

i want to show the phone signal stregth but wisbar cant..