View Full Version : new pocket pc for $72!!!

mirkazemisaman
11-20-2003, 07:51 AM
the TOSHIBA E350 (new with Windows Mobile 2003) is currently listed for ~ $72 (USD) in the PPCT affiliate website. Here's a direct link to the product page:

http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=20&inv_id=143476&modid=30214092059015

prismejon
11-20-2003, 08:12 AM
I tried to buy one, but I just get this error message:
"We're sorry, your Credit Card could not be processed.
Response: Unknown Error Please report it to Administration"

I'm sure my credit card works, I just used it earlier today. I even tried another one with the same result...

andrei
11-20-2003, 09:56 AM
I just refreshed the check-out page after I got the same error and it worked. I now have the order number, but no e-mail confirmation from them.

prismejon
11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
The refresh worked for me too! If everything goes ok my girlfriend will find a pocket sized package under the tree for Christmas :D

dh
11-20-2003, 12:57 PM
I wanted to get a low cost PPC for my daughter's Christmas present. I did the same thing and refreshed the page to get an order number.

I had not really considered a Toshiba, but if this price is correct and the order was accepted, this is a great deal.

Update: I got a confirmation email, so it looks like it's for real :D

prismejon
11-20-2003, 01:17 PM
I also got a confirmation mail - with the same price as was stated in the webshop :D

Looks like my girlfriend's wish for a yoga mat won't come true...! Hope she likes a PPC better, maybe I'll buy her MySportsTraining or something in addition.

Anyone from Europe who has orded from Tek 'n Toys? Just wondering how long it will take before the package arrives.

andrei
11-20-2003, 01:21 PM
I also got the confirmation e-mail - same price as on the web site.

boxall
11-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Might get one and I am froM Australia. Do you know if the power supply on the E350 is universal?

prismejon
11-20-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing it's the same power supply as on my Toshiba e755 which I also bought from the USA. The cord that goes from the power supply to the wall socket is changable, so I just bought one that fits into the Norwegian sockets for $2 :D

prismejon
11-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Yupp, I was right about the power supply, take a look at picture at the bottom left:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Pocket_PC_e350/4505-3127_7-30419935-2.html?tag=subnav

dcharles18
11-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Whoo Hoo!! I just bought two of them to give as gifts!!

pr0vider
11-20-2003, 02:24 PM
WOW!! Memory Lane for me; my first PDA was the old Toshiba e330 which I eventually ended up giving to my daughter when she entered college. I just ordered an Ipaq 2210 and after receipt am shipping it to PPC Techs for the 128MB upgrade. This unit will be a great placeholder while I'm awaiting the 2210 and subsequent customization. Plus, It'll make a great Xmas present for my son, who's shown an interest in his sister's unit... :D

prismejon
11-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Just checked my internet bank, and the amount has been reserved for a VISA transfer. The only thing missing is a shipping confirmation :)

lipinski77
11-20-2003, 04:45 PM
No longer available?!? :evil:

weezie
11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
I guess I'm just a little to late. Here's what I get "We're sorry.
The item you requested is not longer available" :cry: I wonder if they'll get more.

andrei
11-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Looks like it's not there anymore. I just hope they're going to ship the orders. :werenotworthy:

prismejon
11-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Looks like it's not there anymore. I just hope they're going to ship the orders. :werenotworthy:

Me too!!

dh
11-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Looks like it's not there anymore. I just hope they're going to ship the orders. :werenotworthy:Me too!!
Well there's always the yoga mat. :lol:

prismejon
11-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Looks like it's not there anymore. I just hope they're going to ship the orders. :werenotworthy:Me too!!
Well there's always the yoga mat. :lol:

LOL :D !
But I want to make her a PocketPC addict!!

PetiteFlower
11-20-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm sure this was a mistake and they are not going to honor these orders. If you're lucky they'll offer you a discount for your trouble.

dh
11-20-2003, 08:23 PM
It's back on their site now for US$249.00. Since the e350 has been discontinued by Toshiba (At least it's no longer sold on the Toshiba site), I wondered if they had bought up the inventory real cheap. It would appear that this wasn't the case afterall.
Very interesting to see what they do next, especially since some of us have confirmations of the orders. They will certainly make some good friends if they go ahead and honor them. :D

Fishie
11-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Oh well, waiting for word from them to see if they will honour this.

pr0vider
11-20-2003, 10:11 PM
I too have a confirmation number and am hopeful they will honor their screwup mistake and ship, or at least refund purchase and shipping price. :?

pr0vider
11-21-2003, 05:36 AM
For what it's worth, I received an e-mail from the company that processes credit card orders for Tec N Toys at 8:48PM advising me that they had withdrawn $119 (CDN) from my bank account. It looks like the purchase may go through... 8O

Chingyul
11-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Aw man, I missed it!!!
They should honor the price since it was advertised...even if it was a mistake.

andrei
11-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I got the confirmation from the credit card processing company too.

prismejon
11-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I too got the mail from the credit card processing company, but the amount hasn't been withdrawn from my bank account yet, it is only reserved..

andrei
11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
I too got the mail from the credit card processing company, but the amount hasn't been withdrawn from my bank account yet, it is only reserved..

It usually takes a day or so to see the transaction on your statement.

prismejon
11-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Anyone who knows their estimated shipment time?

Steven Cedrone
11-21-2003, 04:17 PM

I am sure that if you look around the site, you will find a disclaimer about having to honor pricing mistakes...

Steve

Skoobouy
11-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I've looked and haven't found anything yet... but then again the site isn't very well organized.

andrei
11-21-2003, 04:23 PM

I am sure that if you look around the site, you will find a disclaimer about having to honor pricing mistakes...

Steve

I checked on their site and there's no disclaimer and/or terms and conditions.

pr0vider
11-21-2003, 05:26 PM
I honestly don't expect this dealer to honor an error of this magnitude. I would hope though for an individual or site retraction/apology from them to all of us who have been waiting for shipping confirmation at the original advertised price. Anything less is poor business practice and would make me leary of purchasing anything else from them :| .

dh
11-21-2003, 06:06 PM
The pricing that these guys use, seems to be all over the place. They went from 70 odd dollars (US) to 249 - Heck I could buy the new e405 for that.

Using the Pricegrabber link on PPCT comes up with lots of e350s less than $200, the lowest being $159.00. Several merchants have deals in the 160's but one is demanding $315.00!! - come on, anyone paying that much has to be a real sucker!

It certainly pays to shop around when looking to buy one of these things.

So anyway, here's what these people had to say:

This email is to explain the happenings of November 20th, 2003. Our supplier sends us a price file daily that is loaded into our markup manager and pricing and availiabily is kept current. This file had 17 items with the wrong price and inventory numbers attached. Due to the atuomated nature of this process we currently have no way to check for accuracy of these updates. I must appoligize for this and even though we have refunded your monies we have to accept some form of responcilility for this situation.

I would like to offer you a coupon good for 25% off the regual price of these items that were ordered. This would work out to approx. 10-15% below our cost of purchase from our suppliers. Only orders that match the original ordered ammount of units will be fullfilled and the coupon will be active for the next six (6) weeks.

I understand your excitement in finding a apperently great deal and thank you in advance for your understanding. Please feel free to contact me directly with any issues that you may have with this or any other concerns

Here's the problem, this bunch are selling the e350 at US$249.00, so with their little coupon the price would be $186.00 plus shipping. Since the same product can be purchased for less than $170.00 (including shipping) why on Earth is anyone going to take advantage of this "offer".

I would have thought that after accepting the orders, issuing confirmations and taking our money, they would have at least matched the market prices.

Oh well. :(

andrei
11-22-2003, 12:13 AM
I personally don't buy it. It's their responsability to check the prices and verify the orders before they charge the credit cards. In the off-line world the shop has to sell for whatever the sticker price is, I don't see why there should be special rules for on-line stores. Specially when there are no terms and conditions posted on the site

dh
11-22-2003, 12:19 AM
I personally don't buy it. It's their responsability to check the prices and verify the orders before they charge the credit cards. In the off-line world the shop has to sell for whatever the sticker price is, I don't see why there should be special rules for on-line stores. Specially when there are no terms and conditions posted on the site
I tend to agree, if you advertise a product, accept the order and take payment it's a done deal.

Also when I've had businesses and we've screwed up on the price, we nearly always ended up just having to stick with what we offered just for good customer relations.

At least we know one vendor to avoid in future.

Skoobouy
11-22-2003, 01:03 AM
At least we know one vendor to avoid in future.

Why? Nobody has been told they aren't getting their orders yet. I'm waiting for my cheap Palm Wireless Keyboard... fortunately, even if I don't ge the "mistake" price of $15, it only costs ~$45 normally.

mc_03
11-22-2003, 01:44 AM
This reminds me of the time when Dell Canada had a price mistake, with the Axim X5 Advanced going for $118 CAD. They didn't fix the mistake for a whole weekend, and while they did not honour the thousands of orders placed, they gave us $150 off full price. :)

werb
11-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Hello, I am the owner of Tek 'n Toys Inc., and have been watching this post with great interest. We sent out a email to explain what happened to all thous that were affected by this situation with an offer that is below what we pay for this item, however this did nothing to quell the dissatisfaction felt. After hearing what people have to say on this post I agree! Once monies have been transacted a sale it final.

So I would now ask that to you provide proof of said transactions by providing your credit card statement as proof of purchase. Please take the time to only send the relevant portion of your statement. Once received we will honor all disputes.

For contact information or questions/concern please feel free to contact me directly.

Todd Werboweski
CEO
Tek 'n Toys Inc.

[email protected]

brices21
11-22-2003, 06:40 AM
wow, werb.... I'm impressed. Now, if I had only actually tried to order one of those... :mrgreen:

Nice to see someone with your business sense. Good luck!

Jason Dunn
11-22-2003, 07:01 AM

Because in the off-line world the items aren't automatically priced by an XML feed at 2 AM, that's why.

andrei
11-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Because in the off-line world the items aren't automatically priced by an XML feed at 2 AM, that's why.

True, but in the on-line world, as the owner/operator of the site, you should take your time to review the code and the inputs, so you don't have this kind of problems. If you know that the XML feed might have some errors, that don't upload it at 2 AM. Wait until 9, and check it line by line if necessary.

At the end of the day, an on-line store is not different from a normal store - you have to check all the details. Like any other business.

Having said that, I have to admit, I am impresses with werb's post, but ... Why would I wait to get the bank statement, when I have the "Proof of Purchase for an item purchased online at http://www.tekntoys.com from Tek-Support Inc", sent by the credit card processing company? One reason comes to mind - did Tek 'n Toys canceled all these transactions with the credit card company?

Skoobouy
11-22-2003, 12:59 PM
That is a possibility. It would be within their right to do so. I sent an e-mail to Werb indicating that I did receive a Proof of Purchase, but there has been no recorded activity on my account. So, my good fortune depends on whether Arvic Search Services Inc. shows up on my statement. If they don't, I expect a e-mail indicating so.

dh
11-22-2003, 02:57 PM
That is a possibility. It would be within their right to do so. I sent an e-mail to Werb indicating that I did receive a Proof of Purchase, but there has been no recorded activity on my account. So, my good fortune depends on whether Arvic Search Services Inc. shows up on my statement. If they don't, I expect a e-mail indicating so.
In my case, the available credit on my account was reduced by the purchase price, then the amount was replaced.

There should therefore be a credit and debit on the account assuming that the amount was actually charged rather than just reserved. It takes a few days for these things to show up, especially when different currencies are involved.
I also would have thought that the confirmation of purchase was proof of the deal, but at least Todd is giving us a chance and I appreciate that. :beer:

In the event that this doesn't work out, here is the best price I have found for an e350: http://www.compu-america.com/prodLG.jsp?fap=pricegrabber&prodId=f5bb0ac30b.2 Currently the e350 seems to be the cheapest PPC by quite a bit.

sumfunny
11-22-2003, 04:27 PM
HE probably put a hold on the amount of money on your credit card, its not taken out but you can't use that credit for other purchases. That's what dell uses, then after reviewing and shipping the order they final take the money from your account, if they don't ship the hold is taken off and no mention will be on your statement.

werb
11-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Hello, and thank all for your understanding! As a side note we set up our system with the automatic price and availability update to ensure that the customer receives the best price we can supply daily. We use a set mark up on all products and this would explain as some of you have put it "what's with a price of 35.87?" We do not seek out end of the line specials as some of you here are pointing out but rather have attempted to set our selves apart by bring in the latest and greatest products without charging a premium. There will always be a vast market for the bargain hunters, after all who doesn't like a deal? Just to clarify what would be involved in manually updating all our pricing and inventory number we receive a zipped 4.1-4.3 Meg flat file that once un-zipped is a 44+ Meg file of nothing but text. If any of you have seen how large a 65K text file is you should be able to understand why we automated the process. And for those who don't, please email me and I will send you an old file for you to look at. :wink:
We will continue to make improvements to the site and the over all customer experience everyday. I now ask for any and all of you to please post your suggestions and /or wish list to help make Tek 'n Toys what I dream that it can be. For doing so I will put up a 128MB secure digital card to be drawn at random by Jason. Only well thought out posts will make it to the draw. We have been working hard with Fabrizio who has designed the layout for PPC Thoughts and brought you the product you see today. All suggestions posted before noon MST on Friday November 28th, 2003 will be entered into the draw.

werb
11-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh ya, for those unfamiliar with the site www.tekntoys.com

andrei
11-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Oh ya, for those unfamiliar with the site www.tekntoys.com

That's one site I know I'm not going to buy from anytime soon.

You forgot to mention that you will honor all orders not cancelled with the credit card processing company without sending any warning to the buyers.

At the end of the day, you knew from the start that you will not ship any of these items.

Pat Logsdon
11-25-2003, 05:35 PM
I would strongly suggest that you put the following up on your site immediately:

- Privacy Policy
- Return Policy

Personally, I would never even consider doing business with a company that did not include at LEAST a return policy.

werb
11-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Thank you for the feed back!

PetiteFlower
11-25-2003, 06:34 PM
For the record--NO store has an obligation to honor a pricing mistake, on or offline. Land based stores are more likely to do so, but not because they HAVE to, because errors are much rarer and when they do occur, they are usually smaller. They are also easier to control/prevent because there are PEOPLE in the store applying the stickers to the shelves or products, not an automated computer bot, so if the price on the sticker is wrong, a person at least looks at it before it goes on the shelf.

I do agree that any web store needs to have terms/conditions/policies posted, that's important. And in the event of a pricing mistake that they do not intend to honor, notifications should be sent out as soon as possible.

But anyone who expects to be given an electronic device for 1/4 of its actual price because of a computer glitch is crazy.

yslee
11-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Does offer and acceptance for a contract work differently in the US?

I'd say they shouldn't have to honour a mistake on their part. You could argue acceptance was conveyed by the order confirmation email, though I wonder what legal agency an email server has..

To emphasise what Jason and Tek'n'Toys have said, I'd like to see the whiners here update a 44mb text file (egad) at 2am. Not pretty. Cut them some slack.

Duddy
11-26-2003, 05:37 AM
Oh boy....

Unit Price: $247.23 8O

Mike Temporale
11-26-2003, 02:33 PM
We will continue to make improvements to the site and the over all customer experience everyday. I now ask for any and all of you to please post your suggestions and /or wish list to help make Tek 'n Toys what I dream that it can be.

I would strongly suggest that you put the following up on your site immediately:

- Privacy Policy
- Return Policy

To add to these thoughts:

- The currency should be displayed up by the price of the product. That or, it should remember my currency selection from visit to visit. I find that I am always changing it to CAD.

- There was an issue with page numbering, but it looks like you've fixed that one! :wink:

- The red and black makes the site feel very busy or cluttered. I would use a colour scheme with lighter or softer colouring. (like Amazon, chapters, etc...)

- The left navigation takes up a large part of the screen, and when you click on groups like "Pocket PC Operating System", the result takes up almost the full width of my screen (1024x768) at work. Maybe if you abbreviate some of the items in the navigation. Like "Pockt PC Operating System" becomes "Pocket PC Devices" or "Pocket PC OS" (I'm picking on this category because it is the one with the longest name ;) )

trachy
11-26-2003, 03:15 PM
A couple of things I'd suggest:

- Standardize how you display the specs on devices. On many SmartPhones the OS level isn't displayed, and on some there's no mention of the amount of memory included. An example is the SPVx SmartPhone.

- Add a link to the manufacturer's page. It's a pain to go looking for it if I want more information than what you're providing.

- If possible, offer high-res pics of the items you're selling. I, for one, like to get up close and personal.

- Get rid of the promotions section of the site if there aren't any ongoing. I don't like to be teased. ;-)

- Finally, I have to echo BlueRocket. I'm not crazy about the color scheme you have going on. Black and red is just a little too agressive, IMHO.
BTW, despite all the things I've mentioned, the reason I still keep visiting your site is because of the great selection and prices. Keep up the great work.

- Drew

GoldKey
11-26-2003, 03:28 PM
For the record--NO store has an obligation to honor a pricing mistake, on or offline.

Actually, from what I remember from my Business Law classes in college, once they actually charge your credit card (payment is tendered and accepted), the contract is complete. However, I agree with you completely

But anyone who expects to be given an electronic device for 1/4 of its actual price because of a computer glitch is crazy.

The laws are designed to protect consumers from being taken advantage of by businesses. However in this case, I think most of those that placed orders probably knew that this was a pricing mistake and just placed an order hoping that it would be honored anyway.

Steven Cedrone
11-26-2003, 04:03 PM
This reminds me of the whole Dell Canada (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11053&start=0) "mistake" and the ugliness (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12336&highlight=dell+canada+axim) that followed...

Steve

PetiteFlower
11-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Ok I would even agree that if they charged the card(NOT the same as placing a hold on your card, I'm talking an actual charge, that is not usually done until the product is shipped) then the price should be honored. And likely if that happens the item is out the door already anyway. But I don't recall seeing anyone say that happened here.

cyclwestks
11-26-2003, 11:47 PM
I would agree that no company has to honor pricing mistakes. But I also agree it's what happens after the mistake that makes a difference.

Take our local grocery store for example (granted, we are delaing in a lot less $$). Many times I have bought things because they were "on sale) only to find out upon getting in my car that I was charged reg price. I go back & tell them & they try to get by ringing up the difference, when all over the store there are signs that say if there is a pricing mistake they will give you the product free. They whine & say they will have to call a manager to do that, I say "Call Them", maybe next time you'll pay better attention.

I didn't order from you, but what I'm saying is "do something" to make it up to the people that did. Sometimes a "little" something goes a long ways.

Dave Potter
11-27-2003, 12:42 AM
This entire line of conversation is so ridiculous... and the earliest posts in this forum prove it.

The people who were placing these orders knew full well that it was a pricing error and like vultures, they pounced on it hoping to take advantage of some else's misfortune. Be honest guys and gals - none of you expected the price to be honored (the posts in this forum prove it!) - you **hoped** that it would be honored.

The 'vultures' argue that acceptance of payment completes the contract - when they know full well that e-commerce is an automated process - which means that there is little or no opportunity for human intervention. I would argue that the contract is not complete until the goods are shipped/delivered. Did any of you actually receive anything?? No - of course not. Tek N' Toys recognized the error as quickly as they could and took steps to correct it. They even did the 'right thing' and offered compensation for the error. But that wasn't good enough was it?

Let's face it - you 'vultures' are hoping that if you make enough noise you will get what you want. You threaten to stop shopping there and to tell your friends not to either. How lame is this? In my experience, the vast majority of you 'vultures' probably wouldn't shop there again anyway no matter what the outcome of this mess is.

My advise to Tech N' Toys? Tell these unreasonable losers to go fly a kite. You don't want customers like them anyway. Reasonable people understand that errors are made and would happily have accepted your initial offer of compensation. The 'vultures' represent the vocal minority - it's never good business to cave to the vocal minority. Instead - you should target the reasonable majority as customers. In the long run - you'll be more successful.

Jason Dunn
11-27-2003, 01:38 AM
Zipper: very well said. :way to go:

(that's the kind of thing I wanted to say bit didn't, lest I be accused of bias because it's an affiliate store)

dh
11-27-2003, 03:10 AM
This entire line of conversation is so ridiculous... and the earliest posts in this forum prove it.

The people who were placing these orders knew full well that it was a pricing error and like vultures, they pounced on it hoping to take advantage of some else's misfortune. Be honest guys and gals - none of you expected the price to be honored (the posts in this forum prove it!) - you **hoped** that it would be honored.
Why could these people not be having a sale? This model is no longer sold by Toshiba, someone could easily have bought the inventory cheap. Also, it was no better a deal then the Textmaker one that just went on. Did anyone refrain from taking advantage of this in case it was a mistake? What about the people who were trading PI "friends and family" codes? Are they vultures too?

The 'vultures' argue that acceptance of payment completes the contract
In every business I have owned and worked in, that has indeed been the case. Especially when a written confirmation has been sent to the customer.

Let's face it - you 'vultures' are hoping that if you make enough noise you will get what you want. You threaten to stop shopping there and to tell your friends not to either. How lame is this? In my experience, the vast majority of you 'vultures' probably wouldn't shop there again anyway no matter what the outcome of this mess is.
Correct, I would not normally shop there and will not in future. Mainly because the prices (the real ones) are too hign and the shipping price is also high. Having said that, I have nothing against these people and if they have something I want at a competitive price I would think about it.

My advise to Tech N' Toys? Tell these unreasonable losers to go fly a kite. You don't want customers like them anyway. Reasonable people understand that errors are made and would happily have accepted your initial offer of compensation. The 'vultures' represent the vocal minority - it's never good business to cave to the vocal minority. Instead - you should target the reasonable majority as customers. In the long run - you'll be more successful.
The offer of compensation would still mean paying quite a lot more than elsewhere. Is this Todd's fault? Of course not. He is at the mercy of his supplier, who seems to be the real offender here.

So, are you saying that one should never attempt to buy anything at a bargain price just in case the price is a mistake? My advice to Tek and Toys is to check the prices before publishing them in future, but I would be afraid of the same thing happening again.

By the way, I've paid the proper price for everything I have on my PPC (including Textmaker and PI) and I hardly consider myself a "vulture".

Dave Potter
11-27-2003, 04:07 AM
Quote:

"Why could these people not be having a sale? This model is no longer sold by Toshiba, someone could easily have bought the inventory cheap. Also, it was no better a deal then the Textmaker one that just went on. Did anyone refrain from taking advantage of this in case it was a mistake? What about the people who were trading PI 'friends and family' codes? Are they vultures too?"

Response -->
They are not vultures for trying to get a good deal - they are vultures because of their behavior after it became clear that the price was an error. I am all for getting a good deal - but - I also have reasonable and realistic expectations when it comes to purchasing hardware. Your comparison to Textmaker software is increadibly weak - the material costs to sell a piece of software online are almost zero whereas the material cost of hardware devices are considerably greater.

There's an old saying "If something sounds too good to be true - than it probably is." This doesn't mean that they should not try to get a deal - it just means that they should be ready to gracefully accept the possibility that the deal is a error and that it might not pan out.

Quote:

"In every business I have owned and worked in, that has indeed been the case. Especially when a written confirmation has been sent to the customer."

Response -->
Owned many e-commerce businesses have you? I didn't think so. Don't speak of matters which you have no knowledge or experience with. It make your argument weaker - not stronger. The difference is clear - HUMAN INTERVENTION. With a brick and mortar business - you would have the opportunity to recognize the error long before payment ever occured. With e-commerce automation, the opportubity to intervene often only occurs at ship time. Sure many e-commerce businesses only charge at ship time - but in this case, it appears that the credit card was charged at the point of order. Somewhat different than some shop online sites - but not uncommon.

Quote:

"Correct, I would not normally shop there and will not in future. Mainly because the prices (the real ones) are too hign and the shipping price is also high. Having said that, I have nothing against these people and if they have something I want at a competitive price I would think about it."

Response -->
Funny - I have shopped around extensively - and I find their prices quite competitive. Rationalize it however you want - but in the end your statement just proves my point.

Quote:

"The offer of compensation would still mean paying quite a lot more than elsewhere. Is this Todd's fault? Of course not. He is at the mercy of his supplier, who seems to be the real offender here."

Response -->
On this point - I TOTALLY agree

Quote:

"So, Mr. Gobshyte, are you saying that one should never attempt to buy anything at a bargain price just in case the price is a mistake? Sorry, you are an idiot. My advice to Tek and Toys is to check the prices before publishing them in future, but I would be afraid of the same thing happening again."

Response -->
Is your argument so weak that you have to resort to name calling? Name calling is the last resort of the weak minded.

Are you volunteeing to review the 40+ MB text file line by line each night at 2 am? Again, I didn't think so. So why should you expect them to do it? Errors happen - get over it already.

Quote:

"By the way, I've paid the proper price for everything I have on my PPC (including Textmaker and PI) and I hardly consider myself a 'vulture'."

Response -->
Again - the term doesn't apply to someone trying to get a deal. It applies to someone who unreasonably pushes the issue when it becomes clear that the price was an error. Use common sense - did the description mention 'SALE', 'BLOWOUT', 'REFURBISHED', 'DISCOUNT', 'END OF LINE', 'INVENTORY CLEARANCE' or any other similar message that would indicate that there was some special circumstance? No, it did not. Now, when you bought TextMaker, did it indicate a 'SALE' or 'SPECIAL LIMITED TIME OFFER'? I check that sale out and it did, infact.

Before you call someone else an idiot - look in the mirror.

dh
11-27-2003, 04:43 AM
Owned many e-commerce businesses have you?
Yes as it happens, well one anyway and I always checked and took responsibility for what I published.

Funny - I have shopped around extensively - and I find their prices quite competitive. Rationalize it however you want - but in the end your statement just proves my point.
You might want to shop around on the item in question. The Tek and Toys price is US$249.00 There are many places selling the same thing in the $160 - 170 range. I would hardly call T&T competitive. I have not compared other items, so I can't comment on their general price levels.

Is your argument so weak that you have to resort to name calling? Name calling is the last resort of the weak minded.
I agree. It was stupid and I'll edit that from the original post. :oops: It's been one of those weeks, I can usually rely on my vocabulary to get my point across, but today I guess not.

On this whole issue, what I believe they had to do to make it right was to match the best on-line price for the e355. (Not the refurbished ones and junk companies, but the best mainstream price) I fully understand that mistakes happen and I really didn't intend to give these guys, or you, so much grief. I'm sure that if T&T had to sell some units at a loss for customer relationship reasons, they should be able to get at least something refunded from their supplier.

werb
11-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Well I had originally offered all those affected by this almost 15% below what I have to pay. No one took my offer just as no one can show that I transacted any monies (at least to date)! Here is a copy to my email to them all;

This email is to explain the happenings of November 20th, 2003. Our supplier sends us a price file daily that is loaded into our markup manager and pricing and availability is kept current. This file had 17 items with the wrong price and inventory numbers attached. Due to the automated nature of this process we currently have no way to check for accuracy of these updates. I must apologize for this and even though we have refunded your monies we have to accept some form of responsibility for this situation.

I would like to offer you a coupon good for 25% off the regular price of these items that were ordered. This would work out to approx. 10-15% below our cost of purchase from our suppliers. Only orders that match the original ordered amount of units will be fulfilled and the coupon will be active for the next six (6) weeks.

I understand your excitement in finding an apparently great deal and thank you in advance for your understanding. Please feel free to contact me directly with any issues that you may have with this or any other concerns.

This was not good enough for any involved and this issue turned into what we have here now. Although it is interesting to see what people think of ecomm companies I personally find this rather depressing. Thank you all for your support and the comments/suggestions on making the site a better place for all. We will still be asking Jason to pick one of these posts to receive a 128Meg SC card for their help in making us better. We here at Tek 'n Toys do listen and those who have been back to the site will notice our policies are now linked.

dh
11-27-2003, 05:10 AM
Well I had originally offered all those affected by this almost 15% below what I have to pay.
Werb, one thing that is clear after all this is that you are being charged too much. How do some of these vendors sell this product for much less than US$200.00? Can they get better deals or are they just selling at a loss?
By the way, I think you are safe on the transactions. It looks as though the payments were allocated on the credit cards, but not actually charged. It would be great if you could really sell the e355 at that price, you'd sell a gazzion of them. :lol:

werb
11-27-2003, 05:18 AM
You're right but I would sooner sell 1000 MDA2s instead. As I stated before, we are more set up for the latest and greatest rather than the products on the way out the door.

mirkazemisaman
11-28-2003, 02:55 AM
8O Wow 8O , never thought this thread will get as ugly as it has... I should have never posted what I found. Maybe then they might have fixed the error before it got much puplicity (before some of you guys made such a big deal out of it).

Oh well, hate to see this go this far...

Fishie
11-28-2003, 07:03 AM
Yo people, I ordered one.
I hoped id be a model closeout deal and if it wasnt I never expected to receive the item for 72$.
Saying you have a right to it for that price is just stupid imo.

$hit happens, move on with yer lives sheesh.

trachy
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I now ask for any and all of you to please post your suggestions and /or wish list to help make Tek 'n Toys what I dream that it can be. For doing so I will put up a 128MB secure digital card to be drawn at random by Jason. Only well thought out posts will make it to the draw. We have been working hard with Fabrizio who has designed the layout for PPC Thoughts and brought you the product you see today. All suggestions posted before noon MST on Friday November 28th, 2003 will be entered into the draw.

So, who gets the SD card - me or BlueRocket? It appears we were the only two to post suggestions. I'll make it easy on you - give it to BlueRocket. I just won a PocketPak a couple of weeks ago.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2003, 03:02 PM
I now ask for any and all of you to please post your suggestions and /or wish list to help make Tek 'n Toys what I dream that it can be. For doing so I will put up a 128MB secure digital card to be drawn at random by Jason. Only well thought out posts will make it to the draw. We have been working hard with Fabrizio who has designed the layout for PPC Thoughts and brought you the product you see today. All suggestions posted before noon MST on Friday November 28th, 2003 will be entered into the draw.

So, who gets the SD card - me or BlueRocket? It appears we were the only two to post suggestions. I'll make it easy on you - give it to BlueRocket. I just won a PocketPak a couple of weeks ago.

Ha! I forgot about that. I'll make it a little harder... Give it to Jason to give away at a future PPCT / SPT contest. I'm sure that there are many people in greater need of this than I.

dcharles18
12-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Zipper, why don't you go fly a kite? Who made you all high and mighty to come in and start leveling accusations and pointing fingers? I placed an order for this device hoping to take advantage of a good deal, and that makes me a vulture and should subject to your ridicule? Take off.

Steven Cedrone
12-10-2003, 08:36 PM
So much for this thread fading out quietly...

Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator