View Full Version : just got an X5 ...having two problems ( wifi and sync)

mr.bowes
11-17-2003, 08:29 PM
i'm really excited about this new little toy, but i can't seem to figure a few things out.

first off im running a dell 8100 w/ windows XP and i have active sync 3.5 installed.

my axim has pocket pc 2002. when i try and sync it up the axim says that it cannt establish a connection because the active sync is out of date, although i've even tried the latest release. however, after that it precedes to connection and i can transfer files across via my desktop, but i'm not sure if this will cause compatability issues or not.

furthermore, the linksys model WCF12 wi-fi compact flash card i have does not work. upon installing the drivers, i am prompted with an error saying it is not compatible with the connected device. this seems odd as these products are seemingly ubiquitous and should work together.

i came to the conclusion that the wireless card problem may be affected by the active sync error i got, but i'm out of ideas.

thanks for any help in this matter.

much obliged,
mr bowes

Pat Logsdon
11-17-2003, 09:13 PM
my axim has pocket pc 2002. when i try and sync it up the axim says that it cannt establish a connection because the active sync is out of date, although i've even tried the latest release. however, after that it precedes to connection and i can transfer files across via my desktop, but i'm not sure if this will cause compatability issues or not.
When you tried installing the latest version of ActiveSync (3.7, I believe), did you uninstall 3.5? I recall having a problem in the past that this process fixed. Also, when the Axim is connected, is it using the "Guest" profile?

furthermore, the linksys model WCF12 wi-fi compact flash card i have does not work. upon installing the drivers, i am prompted with an error saying it is not compatible with the connected device. this seems odd as these products are seemingly ubiquitous and should work together.
That's interesting - I've got that card and it works just fine in my Axim. As you said, I suspect that the problem may be related to your ActiveSync issues. If your PC can't access the PPC properly, it may not be able to give the correct information to the installer.

Again, I would try completely removing ActiveSync 3.5, download 3.7 from Microsoft, reboot, and then reinstall 3.7.

mr.bowes
11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
ok i got active sync working( i did not realize activesync 3.7 was the latest)..

it now installs wireless card on my axim, but for some reason i still cant get online. even when i unplug and plug in the wireless card, it still comes up as an unknown device, even though under settings -> connections -> wireless, there is a tab for the linksys card.

thanks for any more help in this matter.

much obliged,
mr.bowes

Pat Logsdon
11-17-2003, 09:46 PM
For me to access the internet from my Axim, I need to have the following selected on the "Connections" page:

Internet Settings
Work Settings
The Internet

Switching the third entry to "The Internet" from "Work" allows my Axim to connect to my access point, from there to my router, and from there to the internet. :D

mr.bowes
11-17-2003, 09:53 PM
still no luck getting online...

under settings -> connections -> all i have listed is My ISP -> add new connection
and My Work Network - add new modem connection, add new VPN server connection, and set up my proxy server

i dont see where you can select things on the connections page like you mentioned.

thanks again

Steven Cedrone
11-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Go to the Advanced tab on the connections screen...

To change from "Work" to "The Internet", look in the last selection on the connections page - "Network Card"...

Steve

mr.bowes
11-17-2003, 10:16 PM
ok i i've tried both "from work" and "the internet", but neither actual get my card connected.

my card still comes up as unrecognized when i take it out and insert it. is this common?

Pat Logsdon
11-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Ah, so the Axim isn't recognizing the card at all, which means that the driver is not installed correctly.

It looks like you reinstalled the drivers after you installed ActiveSync 3.7 - is that correct? Did you soft reset the device after you installed the new Linksys drivers?

You may also want to try downloading the installation files (http://www.linksys.com/download/) directly from Linksys.

mr.bowes
11-17-2003, 11:47 PM
i installed active sync 3.7, then the drivers i got from linksys.com, and then i did a soft reset.

upon resetting, the device prompts me with an unknown network device...frustrating!!!

i feel like we've reached the bottom of the barrel of ideas...ahk!

thanks again for all the help everyone