View Full Version : Handango Downloading

jutae
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Is it just me or has anyone had problems downloading previous orders from handango?

piperpilot
11-17-2003, 08:57 PM
No problems, but for things that you have downloaded a few times, they make you give them the credit card number that you used to purchase the software to begin with. They don't charge it; it's mainly a frail attempt at security.

buckyg
11-17-2003, 09:02 PM
I do have a problem when I have reached whatever their "security limit"or whatever they may call it has been reached. After you download it a certain number of times, they ask for the credit card used to purchase it. Okay, so they want to make sure I haven't given all of my friends a link to free software...

But it's quite the hassle if you've changed cards. Also a hassle if the developer keeps putting out updates where you need to download the full version. Usually, I wind up contacting the developer instead. Why? When Handango asks for the card #, it's an UNSECURE page!

That's my beef w/ Handango. Otherwise, I have had no problem with them.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the previous post went in while writing this one...

toxostoma
11-17-2003, 09:30 PM
8O That's absolutely absurd that Handango would make you enter a credit card number into an unsecured page. You know, if someone ever had their card number stolen because of this, it wouldn't surprise me if Handango wasn't liable in a suit for it...

I purchased Pocket Informant through Handango, simply because I had to in order to get the friends and family discount. Just from hearing so many other people's bad experiences, I don't think I'll do more business with them unless I have to. I hear that PocketGear gives more of a percentage to developers anyway. (I think a developer claimed this once upon a time on somebody's message boards).

tanalasta
11-18-2003, 04:36 AM
Yes, I agree that asking for credit numbers over an unsecure site (or requiring credit card numbers) is just plain idiocy. All it does is annoy consumers and provide an opportunity for people's personal information to be stolen. Or increase business for pocketgear! Not that I condone it, but there's nothing this can do to stop people sharing files should they choose to - it's easily circumvented by simply emailing/burning the requisite files. Now let's see if the handango developers actually read some of this feedback and fix it :roll: If they were really serious about regulating downloads, it wouldn't be that hard to implement a flagging/cookie/IP logging system that would blacklist obviously excessive downloads.

Does anyone know of the exact number of times you can download before it asks for your credit card number?

Brad Adrian
11-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Whatever problems or issues Handango might have with multiple downloads, I can't say I necessarily blame them. If I were operating that kind of business, I'd be a bit leery of customers who repeated download the same program.

Why not do what I do? As soon as I purchase software online, I enter the registration code into CodeWallet Pro and then write a copy to a CD. For me, it's more convenient to reinstall from a CD or saved files on my hard drive than to download an application all over again.

tanalasta
11-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Why not do what I do? As soon as I purchase software online, I enter the registration code into CodeWallet Pro and then write a copy to a CD. For me, it's more convenient to reinstall from a CD or saved files on my hard drive than to download an application all over again.

That's exactly what I do. Except rather than using codewallet, i just rename the install file with the registration code pasted on the end. Can't ever lose it that way then!

Of course, you would still have to redownload everytime you get a free update so I would imagine the problem with having to enter a cc# will crop up eventually (e.g. with batterypack).

jutae
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
I too save my serial numbers (with ewallet). That's not the problem. It's upgrading software> i purchased Omega One Battery Monitor. There is no serial number since it's the full version. When it's time to upgrade to a new version, I have to redownload it through handango. AFter aabout 10 attempts, I finally was able to get it.