View Full Version : Places NOT to bring a PPC...

David Prahl
11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
I'll be going deer hunting this coming weekend, and won't bring my precious PPC with me. The woods are not the place for something so delicate, and rain and snow have been forcasted.

What about you? Are there places you don't dare bring you Pocket PC or cell phone? The metal shop? The Amazon? McDonalds©? :lol:

dh
11-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Mine's been to quite a lot of metalshops when I've been getting parts made. No problems, but I make sure it is right with me, not just laying around.

I leave it in the car if we go to the shore (that's the beach for people not near NJ or Philly) and I try to avoid anywhere too hot, too cold or too humid.

Of course for people who work in nasty environments there are industrial PPCs from companies like Metronic and Symbol that can work just about anywhere.

Sparkomatic
11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
It's interesting because they make a bicycle handlebar mount for iPAQs so you can mount them onto your bike. I always thought this was a little too risky for me. What if it rains? What if you crash?

jimski
11-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I don't bring my PPC while out boating or while walking/swimming at the beach. It also doesn't make it to my pocket for picnics or some formal dinners and things like that. In those instances it is usually out in the car, so I can get to it rather quickly if need be.

Of course my small cellphone is always with me. On the boat, on the beach, wherever. If it does get damaged I get another one the next day (I have never needed to do this). That's why big bulky smart phones will never work for me. Been there, done that and did not like it.

spursdude
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Having a PPC in my pocket is kind of a pain when I decide to play a game of pick-up basketball - I need to leave it off to the side unless I like cracked screens...

stevew
11-17-2003, 12:27 AM
I hit the sauna everyday. I'd love to listen to some mp3's, but I think 140+ degree's may be a little risky. :)

delfuhd
11-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Skateboarding...

I must say the worst place to bring anything is skateboarding. I skate all the time, and I always have to leave my peripherals (wallet, keys, cell phone) on the side somewhere lest they stay in my pocket and annoy me, or break in my cell phone's case (which hasn't happened..), and I'm constantly checking to see if they're still there.. I don't really mind, though :D
Except I just lost my brand new 200 dollar phone at school on friday. :grumble: Maybe I'll find it today... :grumble:

Jon Westfall
11-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Its hard to leave mine behind since its also my cell phone. I tend to leave it in the car only if I'm going somewhere that I have to be active (i.e. roller-coaster park, working out). I'm looking for an old beater GSM phone so I can just pop my SIM card out and still have a phone with me, that I can feel free to beat up.

David Prahl
11-17-2003, 05:42 PM
I'm looking for an old beater GSM phone

Is there such a thing? :lol: