View Full Version : Running Man De Groodt

marlof
11-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Our community member <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5050">Brian De Groodt</a> is committed to a cause. He is going to run a marathon, the <a href="http://www.mardigrasmarathon.com/">Mardi Gras Marathon</a> that is being held on February 29, 2004 in New Orleans. And what does a running geek do? He uses a Pocket PC to help him achieve his goal.<br /><br />"Basically I keep an old 3635 around that goes into my gym bag. Had it for a long time and just saved it during my upgrades. It's actually nice to have a separate unit that you don't have to worry about getting banged and scratched or sweaty hands etc. In any case, I've used <a href="http://www.mysporttraining.com/">MySportTraining</a> for the last 18 or so months now. While I only added the running regimen to the program, it's been incredibly helpful to show total miles run, tracking days when I didn't feel good (or felt real good) which gives me a mark in time to go back to if something isn't feeling right, reducing my per mile pace (from an original marathon pace of 11:30 to a current 9:12) and even though I never intended this, since I've started using the program I've gone from 225lbs to around a current 185lbs (6'1"). I use an Excel spreadsheet to track out my food. One of the problems with this type training is that you get so hungry you can overcompensate by binging, so the Excel spreadsheet on my PPC has about 1500 different foods and their caloric value. I could go on, but the point is I'm trying to make the Kona Ironman by 40 (7 years away) and data is an incredibly essential element to a solid training program/goal. I don't think I could do it very well without my PPC. In fact, a lot of what professionals get in the way of expensive coaches and support staff is in my old trusty 3635 and costs me about nothing."<br /><br />It looks like Brian sure knows what he's doing. Although running a marathon in itself is a remarkable cause, Brian has added something to the mix that made me bring this under your attention. In running this marathon, Brian is trying to raise money to donate to the <a href="http://www.wwc.org/">Whitman Walker clinic</a> of Washington DC, helping those infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. So all of his energy is not just spent on himself, along the way he's trying to help others who are in desperate need of this help. In my opinion that is worth our support. In his words: he's doing the running, will you do the <a href="http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DCNO-3466&Year=2003">donating</a>?

bdegroodt
11-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks Marlof! What a way to start a Monday morning! That's just awesome!

A couple of additions.

First, thank you to everyone that has donated or sent their messages of support. This community has been one of my biggest supporters.

Second, the donation page the story points to is a bit of a mess sometimes. If anyone is having "issues" donating, let me know or you can also donate through the PayPal link on my blog (http://bigeasy.typepad.com). If you do donate through the link in the story, please shoot me an email so I know. It can take up to 2 weeks for the donation to show up and I'd hate to take that long to thank a supporter.

Thank you to everyone again! Your donations support an incredibly important mission.

darrylb
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Great job!

I've been training over the last 12 months or so (mostly to manage weight) and also use MST and find it great! Have you tried using MySportTraining food extensions for tracking your diet? It has a huge database of food, integrates nicely into MST and also allows you to create meals by grouping foods together. It saves a tonne of time and it is only $4.95. :D

How many other fitness geeks are there out there?

shawnc
11-17-2003, 07:43 PM
bd,

Good luck. I ran my first (and only, up to now) marathon 3 years ago. I was 42 years old. Though I have participated in team sports practically my entire life, I have never experienced the "high" I felt after crossing the finish line.

My guess is the feeling you experience after finishing your 1st marathon is similar to your first kiss, something you will always remember.

Birdman
11-17-2003, 08:03 PM
I started running Jan. 31 2002 because my pants were getting too tight. I started off with 20 minutes on the treadmill and I ran my first 1/2 marathon in May of 2002 and then my first full marathon in October of 2002!
This past year because of new baby, etc., my running has been confined to indoor treadmill work but I am still trying to maintain 10 km - 4 days a week. My goal is to do another half and full in 2004.
BTW, the running log is a good program. Keep it up.

bdegroodt
11-18-2003, 02:27 AM
Great job!

I've been training over the last 12 months or so (mostly to manage weight) and also use MST and find it great! Have you tried using MySportTraining food extensions for tracking your diet? It has a huge database of food, integrates nicely into MST and also allows you to create meals by grouping foods together. It saves a tonne of time and it is only $4.95. :D

How many other fitness geeks are there out there?

Thanks Darryl! I wasn't aware of the addition to MST. I'll have to check it out. I use the Excel sheet on my PPC to do some additional desktop stuff that Pocket Excel won't do (macros & graphs), but if I can figure out how to get the data moving both ways, that'd be great to integrate the 2.

kzemach
11-18-2003, 05:21 AM
OK Brian, you just got a donation. But here's what you REALLY need to do. Contact that PPC training log company and get them to buy in. I'm sure PPC Thoughts (although I can't speak for them) would be willing to put up a banner/link or something. Basically, the company donates a copy of the software to each donator who pledges X amount. And perhaps for Y amount, they get even more software. This will:

1. Entice donors to give lots!
2. The company gets both free advertising, and can write off the value of the donations on their taxes.
3. Generous people get rewarded too!

Good luck on the run. Great job.

Ken

bdegroodt
11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
OK Brian, you just got a donation. But here's what you REALLY need to do. Contact that PPC training log company and get them to buy in. I'm sure PPC Thoughts (although I can't speak for them) would be willing to put up a banner/link or something. Basically, the company donates a copy of the software to each donator who pledges X amount. And perhaps for Y amount, they get even more software. This will:

1. Entice donors to give lots!
2. The company gets both free advertising, and can write off the value of the donations on their taxes.
3. Generous people get rewarded too!

Good luck on the run. Great job.

Ken

Thanks Ken! Great idea. Though I do have to profess my gratitude to Jason and Marlof for getting this on the site in the first place. Hate to take up any banner spots. As a fellow publisher, I know how hard it is to make money at this thing (or break even for that matter.).

How about a virtual cocktail party. That sounds pretty geeky. $1 virtual drinks from 5-7 :D

bdegroodt
02-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone that replied/supported me through this event. I'll be racing tomorrow morning at 7:00. New pictures, updates and such on the blog now and throughout the race. Thanks everyone!

Janak Parekh
02-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Good luck, Brian! I'm sure you'll keep us posted. :)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
02-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Make us proud! :wink: Good luck! :way to go:

Steve