View Full Version : Secure Digital Cards: When to buy?

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-16-2003, 02:04 AM
I have just bought a new Toshiba e355, and am looking to expand its memory by buying a SD card. I am looking to use the device for listening to mp3's, as well as a PIM, word-processor, as well as a programming tool (an ASM compiler).

I am wondering whether I should buy one at Christmas time (through gift money), or should wait. I could wait, because I have a 64 megabyte card for my digital camera that I could use for storage, however when I use the camera on vacation I wouldnt have enough storage for both devices. So, with your familiarity in this field, do you see the price of an SD card dropping in the next 6 months? Would you suggest I buy a SD card at Christmas, or wait until summer of next year to buy one that is possibly cheaper/has more memory?

Kevin C. Tofel
11-16-2003, 02:09 AM
General memory\storage prices have trended down, but in my opinion, the trend has slowed (and in some cases come to a halt). You can find some decent pricing right now on SD cards along with various rebates. If it were me, I don't think I would wait....I don't see that you have much to gain by waiting, considering the prices are fairly low already. This all depends on what capacity as well....if you are looking for 128Mg or less, I wouldn't expect the prices to drop much more.

I've seen some good deals at ecost.com...you might want to take a look there or through the pricegrabber link on the PPCThoughts.com home page....

KCT

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-16-2003, 02:15 AM
This is my first PPC, so I dont know about how much memory I will use. For mp3 storage 128mb isnt much. Would you recommend moving up to 256?

Kevin C. Tofel
11-16-2003, 02:27 AM
To make it easier in helping you make a decision, can you post everything you plan to use the extra memory for? I have a 256Mg CF card for my Dell and I use it for:

1. WMA's (less space and better quality that MP3's in my opinion)
2. E-Books (using Palm Digital Reader or occasionally MS Reader)
3. Photos from my digital camera
4. Compressed DivX movies (I have the entire 2 hour and 16 minute "The Matrix" down to about 180Mg.!) :clap:

256Mg meets my needs as listed above.....what are you thinking of using the storage for? Also: if 128Mg will work for you I just saw a Kingston 128Mg SD card for $39.99 at ecost.com and there were 2 rebates on top of that.....one for $15 and one for $10! 8O

Thanks!
KCT

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-16-2003, 05:29 PM
I plan to use it mainly for:

1. Storage of documents
2. MP3s
3. Games/Application storage
4. Picture data

I am most concerned with the MP3 storage, since each mp3 takes up a lot of space. Also, I am working on a budget, at the most 100 dollars. And there arises a paradox: should I spend less money on storage and more money on software ($50 if I buy a 128mb card), or should I spend more money on storage and like 30 dollars on software (a 256 meg card is about 70 dollars)?

Just from your experience, how much memory do you think is sufficient?

Cortex
11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
i wouldnt wait. i think sd memory (excluding 512 MB cards) has gotten pretty low.

i would get at least 256. you can usually find these for $60-70 dollars and also look for the SanDisk Cruzer 256 USB SD card since they often have rebates on these making them as cheap as the 256 SD card alone.

i recently came across 512 MB SD cards for 149 with rebates. i think it was at ecost.com but look around.

Kevin C. Tofel
11-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Based on your response for what you plan to use the card for and what your budget is, I think the only choice is a 256Mg card. Typically with memory, I try to get as much as I can afford.....it's not like you can get a 128Mg SD card now and buy another one later....you only have one slot on the PPC!

I would shop around often....memory prices along with rebates and specials are constantly changing. Just today I saw this (http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=644768) deal on ecost.com.....256Mg SD card for $74.99 and a $25 rebate on top of that. It also includes FREE shipping! :D I would expect to pay between $60 and $70 for 256Mg in the SD format....about $20 less for CF format.

Not to get too far off topic, but have you reconsidered your MP3 usage? Again, WMP gets you better quality at LESS storage space....stretching your new memory card even farther! :way to go:

Good luck!

KCT

chess
11-17-2003, 01:57 AM
This is my first PPC, so I dont know about how much memory I will use. For mp3 storage 128mb isnt much. Would you recommend moving up to 256?

I just got a 512 off of ecost.com for 140 bucks, thats not including a 15 dollar mail in rebate.. Its not a bad price if you ask me.

-Ron

WeezerFanJeffrey
11-17-2003, 03:54 AM
So WMA is better. What is a typical file size of a WMA (or a ratio between a wma and an mp3)? How difficult and lengthy is it to convert an MP3 to a WMA? Is there a good freeware converter that you know of?

Also, I have heard of problems with Toshiba ppc's, especially the 300 series, having difficulties with the 256 meg SanDisk cards. Anybody else had this problem?

bgate
11-17-2003, 05:16 AM
As far as the MP3 vs WMA thought. I am currently considering going to all SD for my music. I did a quick comparison and WMA is far better than MP3 for size vs. quality.

Example- Tool (Lateralus) @ 160kbps MP3 = 90.3 & WMA at 48kbps = 27.7.

Quality, I still give it to MP3, but consider your listening environment-easily "good enough" for me.

spursdude
11-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Example- Tool (Lateralus) @ 160kbps MP3 = 90.3 & WMA at 48kbps = 27.7.
I'm confused as to what 90.3 and 27.7 stand for. Also, the comparison between 160kbps MP3 and 48kbps isn't quite fair - general consensus is that 64kbps WMA is about the same as 128kbps MP3.

So WMA is better. What is a typical file size of a WMA (or a ratio between a wma and an mp3)? How difficult and lengthy is it to convert an MP3 to a WMA? Is there a good freeware converter that you know of?
Typical file size depends on what bitrate you encode at. A 128kbps MP3 is at the exact same file size as a 128kbps WMA of the same song. "Kbps" stands for kilobytes per second, essentially how much size each second of a file takes.

The way WMA excels is that it can get the same or better quality at lower bitrates - so a WMA of smaller size might sound just as good as a larger MP3. I suggest using WMP9 and encoding a VBR (variable bit-rate) WMA at the 50-95 kbps rate. That'll probably sound fine for you.

For conversion of MP3 to WMA, I use the Windows Media Bonus pack (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/bonuspack.aspx), specifically the Plus Converter LE. It works well and quickly, and I don't notice much quality decrease even with my fairly sensitive ears.

Keep in mind that converting from one lossy format to another will inherently lose quality, even if you can't hear it. It's best to avoid such conversions, but most likely you won't notice the difference, and the size benefit will outweigh the slight quality loss.

Enjoy using WMAs - I use them exclusively.

bgate
11-17-2003, 07:25 AM
My apology for the less than clear post. I was speaking album size in megs. I will be honest- I did not adjust bit rates and the like, I utilized factory presets and went from there. I then listened to the files and based my opinion from there.

I am fairly picky about music quality, but sitting on a plane and listening doesn't require super quality.