View Full Version : Microsoft Reader free books - Help!!!

GreenBoy2
11-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Well I guess that the offer from Microsoft is quite generous, or would be if many people could get them, but I have been trying every week for the last four or five, and have as of yet to have any success.

I have tried all of the help suggestions including deleting files, cookies and disabling my fire wall and reducing my security setting to low, to try and get these.

The help I have had from Microsoft has been nothing other than to re-iterate the help page info- so no joy.

Particularly upset this week as I would have loved to get a copy of a Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, but its not to be - every single time the same thing - I get in to an endless loop of letting Microsoft check that I have the latest version and then re-activate it. And then an error message when I try to download.

The only part of the help I am not able to carry out is the uninstallation of MS Reader its self as this does not appear as an option to uninstall in ActiveSync. Or from my H2210. The only thing I can remove is the activation!!!

Am I the only person out here that is having this level of frustration in using reader?

I’m at the point of taking a vow of never using reader again unless its with free books, and get my self something else (I’m not sure which as I don’t know which has the largest selection of books supported for PDA. E.g. Adobe has many titles but most can’t be read on PDA - so I understand)

If any one has any 'helpful' suggestions then please let me know

GreenBoy

PR.
11-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I had the same problem on my home PC.

In the end I used my computer at work, activated reader on that and have been using it with PPC Reader quite happily, apart from getting the "Reader can no longer access this book" which then means a soft reset to get back in.

If it wasn't for the free books I'd stick with PalmReader Pro :)

ChristopherTD
11-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Have you looked through the threads here?

There are many different Reader problems reported here and most of them get resolved or worked around in some way.

ChristopherTD
11-14-2003, 05:39 PM
the "Reader can no longer access this book"

This seems to be caused if your book is on a Storage Card, and you turn the power off when reading it. MS Reader seems to try too soon to read from the Storage Card, thinks it is not there because it is not yet available and then gives this error.

I move my current book to Main Memory to avoid this.