View Full Version : SD cards, CF cards, so many brands.....

rk325
11-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Can I use a SD Card from SanDisk in a 2215 ?
I can use it in the Axim X5.

So if I can use it in the iPAQ, then the PhotoSmart camera SHOULD fit my Axim X5 in the SD slot.......what a mess.

Did anyone ever try any HP camera in a DELL product? (Axim X5) Or viceversa?
The iPAQ web site offers the VEO camera for the iPAQ 2210. This VEO camera is the one I'm using in my Axim X5.
http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?oid=312547#m_5

I prefer not to call the companies themselves, they will try to sell me their own products of course......DELL tried to sell me other camera types, the sales agent was not interested in listening my personal needs in digital cameras.

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 05:34 PM
SD cards are universal, so yes, you can use them in both an iPAQ 2215 and a Dell Axim. The Axim X5 does not have an SDIO slot however, so I doubt that the camera you're talking about would work. You'd need a new Dell Axim X3, which has an SDIO slot.

rk325
11-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Let me understand well then: the PhotoSmart connects to the iPAQ in the SDIO slot. Is this different than the SD slot? If I connet my camera then, where can I put my SD card?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of a SD card vs a CF card?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
SDIO cards fit in the SD card slot, but they are "Secure Digital Input Output", meaning they aren't just memory like an SD memory card is. Is the PhotoSmart the 1.3 megapixel SDIO camera? Then, yes, it would go in an SDIO slot, and you would have no space for your SD memory card - both are SD cards, and all current Pocket PCs only have one SD/SDIO slot.

SD is smaller, CF is bigger but less expensive per MB when buying cards. CF is also faster, although you probably won't notice a difference.

sublime
11-14-2003, 07:20 PM
One thing I'd like to know is the future of CF cards. I hear they're becoming obsolete. I was shocked at this because CF cards offer so much more memory than SD cards, and they also (unnoticably) faster.

So what's the deal? Is the future for CF cards as grim as I have been told, or does my source not know his arse from his elbow?

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 07:28 PM
CF cards will eventually become obsolete, but so will SD cards, so it's sort of a silly statement when you really think about it. ;-)

SD cards have a more long-term future than CF cards, but the reality is this: anything they can do in SD can be donet the same and much bigger in the CF format. This is why CF continues to stay ahead of SD - they're more space in the shell.

CF is also the standard for professional digital cameras, not SD, so it will be around for years to come...

Ultimately you can't go wrong with either format.