View Full Version : Geek.com's palmsolo Reviews iPAQ 4350

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Nov/bpd20031114022677.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2...31114022677.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"I have the iPAQ 2215, and I recently bought the new US$40 thumb keyboard attachment since I really love these text input devices. I have been waiting for the iPAQ 4350 to come out, and HPshopping.com made them available two days ago. I couldn't resist the 12 month "same as cash" deal, and had one sent out to me overnight. I paid the high shipping because I avoided the $45 tax I would have paid here in Washington state. I have been playing with the device for about 6 hours now, and offer this comparison with my 2215..."<br /><br />Ok, I'm officially jealous. The <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=19&inv_id=256175&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">iPAQ 4350</a> is the Pocket PC I've been most anticipating for quite some time - I'm a huge believer in keyboards for text input, so I can't wait to get my hands on a 4350!

Foo Fighter
11-14-2003, 09:14 PM
I still have mixed feelings about keyboards, but I will grant you they are far easier to input data with than a stylus. The 4350 looks really slick, but I still wish SOMEONE would develop a PPC modeled after the Zaurus 5xxxx series with a slide-out keyboard. :rock on dude!:

R K
11-14-2003, 09:46 PM
After first opening up the box and turning on the 4350 I was ready to drop my 2215. However, after using the keyboard some more and finding out it is more limited than the keyboard attachment, I am thinking of sending it back to HP before my 30 day period expires.

Hmmm... it's sad to see such a gloomy review of the iPAQ H4350 when there was such excitement and expectation during the many months before its release.

bdegroodt
11-14-2003, 09:57 PM
After first opening up the box and turning on the 4350 I was ready to drop my 2215. However, after using the keyboard some more and finding out it is more limited than the keyboard attachment, I am thinking of sending it back to HP before my 30 day period expires.

Hmmm... it's sad to see such a gloomy review of the iPAQ H4350 when there was such excitement and expection during the many months before its release.

I'm anxiously awaiting mine. I have to give HP some kudos for an order that was placed at 10:00 at night and was already scanned and in FedEx Memphis in under 4 hours. Very swift.

I read the PDAGeek review and I think the keyboard is fine for the most part. Not to say the missing bits aren't important, but it's well down the 80/20 path. Having used a BlackBerry for the last 6 months, I can personally understand the impact missing those features would have on me and it's not huge. I'm just so excited to be able to have a way to enter data into a PPC with WiFi and BT I can hardly wait. :multi:

One other thing to remember is that the hardware is in place. I'm sure any of the missing bits can be solved by way of software- from HP or some other enterprising software house.

mpaque
11-14-2003, 10:11 PM
I haven't used or personally seen a 4350, but I think would prefer to stick with my 2215 and the addon thumb keyboard. The 2215 still ends up being smaller, even with the keyboard attached. And if you don't need the keyboard you can simply detach it. I guess if you really need Wi-Fi you could just get the 4150 and the thumb keyboard. According the Hp it fits the 1900, 2100 and 4100 series iPAQ's.

dh
11-14-2003, 10:23 PM
I haven't used or personally seen a 4350, but I think would prefer to stick with my 2215 and the addon thumb keyboard. The 2215 still ends up being smaller, even with the keyboard attached. And if you don't need the keyboard you can simply detach it. I guess if you really need Wi-Fi you could just get the 4150 and the thumb keyboard. According the Hp it fits the 1900, 2100 and 4100 series iPAQ's.
If HP were to find a way to squeeze WiFi and 128MB of memory into the 2210 form factor, that would be close to a perfect PPC.

Anyone needing a thumboard could use the sperate one as you mention. I'd stick with my Pocketop keyboard personally.

palmsolo
11-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Now that I go back and look at my review bullets there are a few that make it sound rather critical and I just wanted to say that I am a tough guy to please as you can see in my personal blog.

I did find a few keyboard tips that have addressed 90% of my concern with the implementation and posted those in the comments section under my review. It would be nice if there was better documentation on the keyboard use.

I personally hope that I come to find the 4350 meets my needs because I am a HUGE thumb keyboard fan and it can be a good partner to go with my UX50 with about the same hardware configuration (integrated WiFi, integrated Bluetooth, and a thumb keyboard). Plus I really like the 12 months same as cash deal from HPShopping. It helps ease the pain over a longer period of time:)

hakeashar
11-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Well, as I've said in a post, now that 640x480 is coming soon, I want both. A keyboard makes a pocketpc uber-useful for writers, students, coders, ect. But being about to read more is clearly too useful to ignore. :twisted:

I keep looking back to the Sharp E760 as the uber device. I would have bought one if they weren't so expensive.

powder2000
11-14-2003, 11:09 PM
I think if I had the cash I'd be all over this thing. Interested to see what the Wifi range is, just haven't read many reviews yet.

Dave Potter
11-15-2003, 12:52 AM
According the Hp it fits the 1900, 2100 and 4100 series iPAQ's.

Can you clarify what you meant by this? My heart briefly fluttered when I read this as I have been hoping to find a thumb keyboard for my 1935. I have heard from one source that the 1900's can't support a thumb keyboard. If I understood you right (fingers crossed) - you are saying the opposite.

Are you, in fact saying that there is a thumb keyboard that will fit the 1900 series?

Dave 0X

PetiteFlower
11-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Yeah after reading this, I don't see any advantages over a snap on keyboard, and several disadvantages. Like, the simple fact that it doesn't come off is one! It looks like it makes the buttons hard to access too....no gaming on that thing. A keyboard isn't something you need all the time, so why wouldn't you want one that's either hidable or removable?

Brad Adrian
11-15-2003, 04:51 AM
As much as I like some of the thumbboards available, I still use handwriting recognition more than any other form of text entry. When I need to enter a ton of text, a regular keyboard works best. I guess my needs are at extreme ends of the spectrum: very light or very heavy.

jimski
11-15-2003, 06:52 AM
If HP were to find a way to squeeze WiFi and 128MB of memory into the 2210 form factor, that would be close (very close) to a perfect PPC.

All I want for Christmas is (see above).

mpaque
11-16-2003, 02:10 AM
Are you, in fact saying that there is a thumb keyboard that will fit the 1900 series?

I apologize for my large mistake on this one. The micro keyboard HP sells only works with the 2200 and 4100 series iPAQ's. Sorry for the confustion :oops:

ctmagnus
11-16-2003, 07:37 AM
If HP were to find a way to squeeze WiFi and 128MB of memory into the 2210 form factor, that would be close to a perfect PPC.

Slightly OT, but I have reason to believe I'm sitting next to the perfect PC :rock on dude!:. It's speedy and it's extremely quiet. If it wasn't for the occasional rattle from the harddrive (other than that, it's as quiet as a PPC) and the lit LED on the KVM switch, I wouldn't even know it's running. Unfortunately, it's a client's so I can't keep it. :mecry:

:nonono: