View Full Version : Bluetooth headset audio from PPC

Robb Bates
11-14-2003, 04:38 PM
I've given up trying to get decent sounding audio from my h2215 to my Ericsson HBH-35 bluetooth headset. Not only does the audio sound like a bad AM radio, but it bogs down my PPC horribly.

Since I setup the headset on my PPC, I've had nothing but problems and crashes and lock ups. Sometimes, my PPC refused to turn on and would require a reset.

Last night I did a hard reset and re installed everything. But, I did not install the Bluetooth manager update or enable the headst registry hack. I suspected those might actually introduce some other bugs.

I think maybe HP did not enable the headset audio service since they couldn't get good audio out of this device. I wonder if it is a hardware or software issue. Maybe another update would fix that. I'd love to be able to listen to my internet radio shows.

Has anyone else had any success getting a bluetooth headset working well on their PPC? If so, please let us know how you did it and list all your hardware.

Robb Bates

Duncan
11-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Has it not occured to you that you are trying to get the HBH-35 to do something for which it was neither intended nor designed? It is neither a software nor a hardware issue. The headset is providing audio at a satisfactory level for use with a mobile phone - it is somewhat daft to expect that simply by enabling the BT audio on your iPAQ that you are going to get decent sound from a mono, low powered headset!

HP did not enable the headset service because there is no need for it - until proper stereo BT headsets are introduced (coming soon).

Robb Bates
11-14-2003, 05:11 PM
It has occurred to me. A bluetooth headset is designed to provide the Audio Gateway/Headset/handsfree profile to another bluetooth device. So I am trying to get my headset to do what it was intended to do. Nobody said it HAD to be a cell phone. I was succesful hooking it up with my PC via a bluetooth USB dongle. The audio coming and going was actually pretty decent.

No, I was never expecting it to play high quality Dolby 5.1 digital surround sound. But the quality I got out of this headset was not anywhere close to what I got out of my phone or PC. This was full of crackly static and horrible frequency response.

I was planning on using to listen to a Real Media radio talk show. No different in quality than the sound coming from a cell phone.

Also, the playback speed of the audio I WAS getting was also slowed down as if the PPC was struggling to keep up with the bitrate.

I know HP didn't enable it, but it was included in the OS and just disabled with a registry setting. What I was hoping was that someone has been able to bypass the normal settings and try to push the boundary. I don't think I'm asking for anything much different than someone trying to overclock an XScale processor, which many people do. I'm just trying to squeeze that little bit of extra capabilities out of my PPC.

Robb