View Full Version : What happens when you Google your own name

Anthony Caruana
11-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Every now and then, just out of curiosity, I Google for my own name.

In the past, I have never been on the front page of hits but today something actually about me was the first hit.

Not sure if anyone else really cares but I thought it was pretty cool!

FredMurphy
11-14-2003, 10:57 AM
I suppose it helps if you've got an unusual name. Unfortunately there's a cinematographer that shares the same name as me, so his entries in IMDB, etc. will come up first, at least until phase 1 of my plan to take over the world begins. :twisted: Mwwwwaahhh Haaaaa haaaaa.

:idea: Note to self: Must check spelling of "Mwwwwaahhh Haaaaa haaaaa" proir to phase 1.

Ed Hansberry
11-14-2003, 12:54 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=790

I actually did a front page post on this last year. :lol:

Jimmy Dodd
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I share my name with one of the members of the original Micky Mouse club, so he gets all the glory. :wink:

You have to go all the way to page three of the results when Pocket PC Thoughts start showing up to find me.

Jimmy Dodd
11-14-2003, 03:47 PM
:idea: Note to self: Must check spelling of "Mwwwwaahhh Haaaaa haaaaa" proir to phase 1.

Might want to make a note about checking "prior" also. :wink: :lol:

ux4484
11-14-2003, 05:12 PM
well my REAL name is too common to have any possible significant results....but my screen name here results in pages of PDA site postings and not much more

CoreyJF
11-14-2003, 05:23 PM
With a name like Corey Feldman I prefer to not...

Fishie
11-14-2003, 09:24 PM
I get pages and pages with my name on, usualy articles ive written.
I even fare quite well with just my family name with pages devided between me and one of my sisters(who is a politician and vorser for Brussels university)

Godsongz
11-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Wow, it returned a page listing me (correctly) as sysop of Creative Images BBS. I ran an Atari ST centric BBS out of Germantown, MD back in the very early '90s. My BBS was an active Fidonet node back then, they must have dipped into the Fido archives for that info.

Kevin C. Tofel
11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
My ultimate goal is to have more Google hits than SETI packets crunched.....I'm way behind on the Google total (29).... :wink:

KCT

upplepop
11-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Try a Google search on your (or someone you know) phone number. The results seem like they are a little bit of a privacy concern.

A little off topic for those fans of the Hitchhicker's Guide, the results of a search for "The answer to life, the universe, and everything" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=the+answer+to+life%2C+the+universe%2C+and+everything) is pretty funny.

Steven Cedrone
11-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Try a Google search on your (or someone you know) phone number. The results seem like they are a little bit of a privacy concern.

Doesn't work on unlisted numbers though...

Steve

I just Googled my name and found the top link was to my name but an address I haven't used for years... :roll:

Jeff Rutledge
11-16-2003, 04:12 AM
I share the same full name as a professional football player so that takes up most of the hits. However, in the first two pages I also found a link to an art gallery and something about a turkey hunt(?).

In some ways I'm glad to be without presence so I'm not competing with the rest (especially the turkey hunt). 8)

Jon Westfall
11-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Hmm, a search for my name as "Jonathan Westfall" brings up my personal bio on my corp. page as #3, and if I throw in a middle initial, I'm all 13 Google results. Mostly some old newsgroup postings I made years ago. Gee, I feel special.

P.S. I think, at one time, I shared a name with some UN ambassador from China or something (Odd, I know) and his name used to come up quite often.