View Full Version : Gradebook For Teachers on PPC

BTS
11-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Does anyone know of a gradebook (other than Roll Call) that is being developed for the PPC platform. Roll Call looks good but seems to be experiencing issues on WM2003 devices. On top of that (judging from the Pocket Innovations board) Pocket Innovations do not appear to be answering e-mail requests for support.

I throw out the challenge to developers to create a stand-alone PPC gradebook program - one the can also export data to CSV and create txt or HTML reports. It's a shame how there are many of these programs for the Palm platform but hardly any for the PPC platform (after 3 years of PPC existence). I was quite disheartened after crusing the web for the last three days looking for one. It made me think of going back to Palm (I'd rather not). Excel is fine for crunching grades and numbers but it's all about the reporting of information....

g0097
11-14-2003, 06:01 AM
I am facing the same issue. As an educator, I need to have the ability to keep accurate track of my lesson plans and my grades. I have not found a worthwhile solution to do either on Pocket PCs yet. I love the platform but I fear for work I am going to have to eventually get a Palm because the software I need for the task I have to accomplish exists. In many ways, its a real shame because I think that multimedia cabalitlies of a Pocket PC would really make it shine in the education sector above a Palm handheld with educators. Teachers need to keep track of all the records and paperwork that they have however. In this area Pocket PC is sorely lacking.

Godsongz
11-14-2003, 06:10 AM
RollCall isn't experiencing any issues at all on WM2003... you have to be able to install first before you can experience issues. Its fairly safe to say at this point that the product is abandoned.

I recently tried a program called "Teacher's Agenda", which for $8 was worth a shot for me, maybe for you too. I found it to be a bit weak.

I'm teaching myself VB.NET and the Compact Framework, SQL Server CE, and a few other things right now. I'm probably going to end up writing my own gradebook software and tweaking the code for the next few years until I have exactly what I want, then someone will pick that moment to release an equally functional program for $19.95. :splat:

rhmorrison
11-14-2003, 09:34 AM
I throw out the challenge to developers to create a stand-alone PPC gradebook program - one the can also export data to CSV and create txt or HTML reports. It's a shame how there are many of these programs for the Palm platform but hardly any for the PPC platform (after 3 years of PPC existence).
Then throw out the requirements spec and maybe someone would be interested in taking your challenge!

What should a 'Gradebook for Teachers' program do?
What features should it have?

I assume that 'Gradebook for Teachers' for Palm OS exists as a program. Have you written the authors and asked if they were planning on doing a PocketPC version?

BTS
11-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Perhaps the question could have been: "What would be an easy database program to use to develop?". It would have to be able to report on the PPC (ie. not necessarily worry about syncing) and yet be easy enough for a non-programmer to use.

Teacher's tend to have their own methods to grade and the difference between primary and secondary school grading is definitely an issue that would make creating your own database a more desirable path.