View Full Version : Did 640x480 kill the iPAQ h4355?

hakeashar
11-14-2003, 04:12 AM
I wanted to start this topic for a few days, sorry if it's been done before.

I've always wanted a built-in keyboard to input into my pocketpc. Something completely mobile that would expand the platform in the areas of sms, pocketword, coding.... Well, finally the day arrives only there's another new feature that is prettying important when it comes to viewing and inputing text, not included.

Well there's now two items that are concidered essential requirements by me of my next pocketpc.

With VGA just around the corner I know I'd rather wait and see the benefits of both a thumbboard and crisper display.

I also hope hp doesn't abandon the thumbboard idea just because thier sales in h4355s will be low.(Just a little prediction) 0X

dh
11-14-2003, 04:30 AM
For me, three things kill the 4355.

1. Poor design. That keypad looks as much as an afterthought as the one on that Hitachi thing. Surely Sony and Sharp don't have a monopoly on talented designers? Hmmm, maybe they do.

2. No CF slot. I don't understand why HP continues to ignore (other than the 2215) the expension system that offers the largest size memory for the lowest cost as well as the largest selection of interface cards. (Please don't mention the sleds for the proper Ipaqs, there is plenty of room for CF on a 5550 if they were to think it through carefully).

3. Lack of memory. What's with this 32MB ROM and 64MB RAM? Just not enough anymore.

All in all, I think this is a poor effort from HP and I can't believe they will sell too many.

Anthony Caruana
11-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Form factors aside my biggest gripe is that the 4100 and 4300 series iPAQs only have 64 MB RAM. The 5500, while a reasonable unit) is now basically an overgrown 4100. The only things that really spereate it from the 4000 are the 128 MB and the sled comaptibility.

Given that the evolution of BT is going to kill the need for many types of expansion sleds the only reason someone will buy a 5500 now is for the extra RAM.

Come on HP - surely you have figured out that more RAM is what users want (sales of SD and CF memory by ppc users should show that). I think the only rteason we aren't seeing 256 MB devices is that the OEMs (HP is not the only one) are holding out so that they can release new models with minor enhancements, like increased RAM, to keep us buying.

PetiteFlower
11-14-2003, 06:21 AM
I dunno, I've owned a 32meg device for the past year, 64 will seem immense to me when I finally get one!

Paula
11-14-2003, 08:34 AM
I have waited what seems like a lifetime for a PPC with a built in keyboard. 2 things ruined it for me, size and the lack of CF.

Paula

yorkslad
11-14-2003, 03:54 PM
I too was initally excited about this machine, love the keyboard (backlit is a bonus) but one tiny little thing has killed it for me.....its not going to be available in the UK :evil:

If HP want to push the form factor of the 4350 then there gonna have to make it available to the widest market, I think its a bit short sighted and playing it safe on their part. Someone needs there arse kicking for making such pants decisions. :?

Kowalski
11-14-2003, 08:21 PM
i think 413x is a worst buy! when it comes to ppc the slimmest and the smallest is always the best. why should i but 435x instead of 415x+micro keyboard, so i can plug the keyboard whenever i want and throw away when i dont need it.
BTW there is one more difference: batery life. buy yourself a high capacity batery