View Full Version : XDA II Benchmarked

Jason Dunn
11-14-2003, 01:25 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=528' target='_blank'>http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/vie...topic.php?t=528</a><br /><br /></div>Ever wondered how fast the XDA II really is? I don't have one, so I can't tell you, but Daron Brewood can. Go check out his benchmark article.

maximus
11-14-2003, 01:47 AM
I have been using an XDA II as my primary since monday, my impression is that this device is significantly faster than my axim X5 with PPC2002.

I still think it is weird to use it as a mobilephone (talking with the XDA II on your ear) ... still using the good ol' handsfree cable.

Nice device, but let me tell you one thing: When I first have the device on my palm, the euphoria is not as big as the one I experienced when I first held my axim 9 months ago.

sponge
11-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Could any XDA II owners could get a PocketQuake benchmark for my benchmark database? Only need the shareware version, free: http://quake.pocketmatrix.com/

Looks like a mighty impressive device, wondering how it stacks up in games.

darrylb
11-14-2003, 02:35 AM
I wonder why he did not include the 2210 in the comparison devices?

Also interesting to compare the SPB Benchmark index with the 4150 from PDAGold also posted earlier. The XDA II weighs in at 1352, while the 4150 scored an impressive 1605. Daron's comment at the bottom that says:
It's possible the fastest Pocke PC around at the moment - certainly the fastest I've used!
has already been made redundant by HP. Having said that - it is still the fastest that Daron has used by the looks :)

I'm looking forward to see HP's devices next year that will compete with the XDA II. In the meantime I'll get my 4150...

Jon Westfall
11-14-2003, 04:33 AM
I'm quite pleased with the zippiness of the XDA II. I guess I don't know euphoria then, cause I was pretty hyped the first time I held my imate. Next time I need a real rush, i'll go buy an Axim i guess.

Paragon
11-14-2003, 05:11 AM
I'm quite pleased with the zippiness of the XDA II. I guess I don't know euphoria then, cause I was pretty hyped the first time I held my imate. Next time I need a real rush, i'll go buy an Axim i guess.

:D

maximus
11-14-2003, 07:49 AM

Very smart ! :p

Shaun Stuart
11-14-2003, 09:57 AM
The XDA2 is the best pocket pc I have used so far

(HP545, Ipaq 3630, 3870, 2215, XDA2)

The screen is the best i have seen and the speed seems better than my 2215. The device looks good and is the first Pocket PC I have had in a long time that seems to improve the more I use it.

The only thing I am missing is WI-FI and that can be added with the CFbackpack.

dhpss
11-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Where can I get one in USA/Calif?

mpaque
11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I have a question for those of you using the XDA II in the U.S. Well, actually 3 questions: Where did you purchase your XDA II, which wireless provider are you using it with and how's the reception when using it as a phone? I'm a long time T68 user on T-Mobile. The XDA II really has me thinking about dumping my T68. I rarely use the phone as a phone, 75% of the time I use it to connect my 2215 to the internet. I have a Jabra Bluetooth earpiece and if that works with the XDA II, well then I'd be as right as rain!

petevick
11-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Dunno about the Jabra headset, but there are no problems using the Belkin headeset.

We are evaluating for a remote data capture project for a customer, and so far it looks great. Been messing around with it for a couple of days, and it certainly seems a great piece of kit

Pete

hoxbox
11-14-2003, 04:31 PM
The only thing I am missing is WI-FI....

Hence my wait for ipaq h6000.

danmanmayer
11-14-2003, 05:23 PM
How did the orginal XDA score so much better on graphics? Also does this mean my video would play back better on my orginal XDA than on the XDA 2? I could always get better frames than AXIm 400mhz owners on my original xda 2... are we moving backwards in terms of multimedia?

suhit
11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
The XDA2 is the best pocket pc I have used so far

I don't own one but am considering it. Since you own one, I have a question for you: does it feel slippery to hold? The XDA IMHO felt slippery, i.e. if I didn't grip it carefully enough, I could have dropped it. Does the XDA II suffer from the same problem?

Suhit

suhit
11-14-2003, 05:49 PM
The only thing I am missing is WI-FI....

Hence my wait for ipaq h6000.

Dude, I completely agree. I would have bough the XDA II right away had it not been for the WiFi. Also, I hope the h6000 has a CF slot in addition to the SD.

Suhit

arebelspy
11-14-2003, 06:40 PM
I have a question for those of you using the XDA II in the U.S. Well, actually 3 questions: Where did you purchase your XDA II, which wireless provider are you using it with and how's the reception when using it as a phone? I'm a long time T68 user on T-Mobile. The XDA II really has me thinking about dumping my T68. I rarely use the phone as a phone, 75% of the time I use it to connect my 2215 to the internet. I have a Jabra Bluetooth earpiece and if that works with the XDA II, well then I'd be as right as rain!

1. Where purchased: PPWC.Net sold a bunch, their next batch is twice as big, gets in the middle of next week. There are plenty of sellers on ebay, contact them for a private sale and cheaper prices.
2. What provider: Mine arrives next Tues, I'll be using it with T-Mobile, so 3. we'll see how the reception is.

Yes, the Jabra BT200 has been confirmed several places to work with the XDA II.

-arebelspy

arebelspy
11-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Dude, I completely agree. I would have bough the XDA II right away had it not been for the WiFi. Also, I hope the h6000 has a CF slot in addition to the SD.

It won't. HP has a CF slot in the 2210. But not in the 5555, or any of the latest 4000 series models (which seems to be the form factor they're going with now). Now they have to cram in a phone, and in addition people want bluetooth and wifi..there will be no room for a CF slot, and it seems HP is moving away from these.

People are saying they don't want the H6000 because it's rumored to be only 64MB of RAM.. but the XDA II was rumored to have that at first, and it came out with 128MB. I bet the H6000 will have 128MB RAM. Still, if the H6000 is that much better when it comes out, I suppose I'll switch from my XDA II. But it won't come out til next spring.. that's 5-6 months of using my XDA II. :)

-arebelspy

adamz
11-14-2003, 07:24 PM
I just got my XDA 2 this morning. Plugged in the T-Mobile SIM and it is currently charging. I recieved a call however... the XDA rang, and I just pressed the answer button on my Bluespoon headset while sticking it in my ear to answer the call. I didn't even need to touch the XDA2 or bring it anywhere near my face! :) VERY COOL!!
I've installed Voice Commander which I've been using on my iPAQ H3970. I am VERY excited about this Pocket PC!!

darrylb
11-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Also, I hope the h6000 has a CF slot in addition to the SD.

It won't. HP has a CF slot in the 2210. But not in the 5555, or any of the latest 4000 series models (which seems to be the form factor they're going with now). Now they have to cram in a phone, and in addition people want bluetooth and wifi..there will be no room for a CF slot, and it seems HP is moving away from these.

I agree. I have just sold my 2210 to get a 4150 :D . The CF was good for WiFi, but I was too cagey to get a CF memory card for my music as I doubt future iPAQs will support them and I'll lose my investment. I could go to another manufacturer... but HP are a known quantity to me, so I'll stick with them. This form factor with all that functionality will rock! :mrgreen:

People are saying they don't want the H6000 because it's rumored to be only 64MB of RAM.. but the XDA II was rumored to have that at first, and it came out with 128MB. I bet the H6000 will have 128MB RAM. Still, if the H6000 is that much better when it comes out, I suppose I'll switch from my XDA II. But it won't come out til next spring.. that's 5-6 months of using my XDA II. :)

My employer pays for my phone and it is a CDMA phone so, until they switch, I'll suffer with a 4150. I'll look at the h6000 series when they come out. I suspect they will be the same size as the 4000 and 1900 series and will utilize the wanda chipset which has WiFi, BT and GSM on one chip. I also think it will have 128 Mb RAM if it is to compete with the XDAII (which it obviously will)

Shaun Stuart
11-15-2003, 09:16 AM
[/quote]

I don't own one but am considering it. Since you own one, I have a question for you: does it feel slippery to hold? The XDA IMHO felt slippery, i.e. if I didn't grip it carefully enough, I could have dropped it. Does the XDA II suffer from the same problem?

Suhit[/quote]

Not really - the unit does feel very smooth but the back is slightly dimpled and the location of the buttons on the left of the device mean that my hand naturally holds it just beneath the buttons. My ipaq 3870 was more slippery but my Ipaq 2215 was probably a little better - until the rubber grips fell off that is.

dhpss
11-15-2003, 03:44 PM
I thoughts you might want to know, the PPCW.net is selling it as well as eBay. Price is between $900-$1000

I certainly can live with 2 piece-config: a best PPC out there and the best cell phone out there (BT,WiFi, GPS...). And wait next couple of months until price drops to $400-$500 level, then I will reconsider..

And keep a buch of change!