View Full Version : HP 2215 WIFI VPN connection problem (Ambicom CF card)

mikhen7
11-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Our company is reviewing the idea of a Pocket PC program. I purchased the HP 2215 and am ok with everything but....WIFI Internet access through the company firewall. I have an Ambicom card on an 802.11b network. I have configured the VPN that comes with PPC 2003. My card finds the access point signal with no problem. When I try to connect to the network via the VPN it does not connect. We are running Win 2000 network with Microsoft Firewall. We are WEP enabled and I have the correct WEP Key Password. On the VPN we use our network Login and password. My laptop works fine. Any suggestions???

that_kid
11-13-2003, 11:12 PM
To get windows mobile 2003 to connect to a vpn your network card must be set to "internet" or "my isp" as it's now called. Only then will a vpn be made and the "smart" connection manager will only try to connect to a vpn if pocket outlook, pocket ie, file explorer, or activesync tryies to connect to a non dotted address (ie mycomputer). In windows mobile 2003 there is a little twist in which you can now specify what you want to be considered "work" traffic and then you can add the address spaces that you want to go through the vpn tunnel. If you want everything to go thru then you have to use wildcards BUT once you're off your works network evertime you try to connect to something on the internet your ppc is going to want to vpn back into your companies network(who in D H#LL thought of that). It's a pain but it can be done.

mikhen7
11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the information. It is definitely takling me down the right path. here is my current settings

1) Network Management Page:

Under Programs That automatically connect to the internet should Connect using: I have My ISP selected

Under Programs That automatically connect to a private network should Connect using: I have My Work Network Selected

Under My network the tabs General, Modem, VPN, and Proxy show up.

Under My ISP the Tabs General and Modem show up.

I have a VPN connection set up and I have a Proxy setting IP address entered.

I can now connect to the VPN but I still cannot surf the web.

More Help Please???

Thanks!!