View Full Version : PDAGold Reviews the HP iPAQ h4150

Jason Dunn
11-13-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=123' target='_blank'>http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=123</a><br /><br /></div>"When I recently reviewed HP iPAQ h5550 (not translated yet, sorry), I remarked that it was a pity for such a great power to be placed in an extremely large case. Well, it's the end of the year 2003 and past are the times when pocket computers weighed 200 grams on average... It did not take very long before I obtained a brand new model with the same parameters as h5550 but the size of h1940. Its name is HP iPAQ h4150 and it is already being sold in many countries worldwide. Can't believe? Well, read on:) I'd like to thank HP for providing the device for review purposes before an official launch of the product."<br /><br />The iPAQ 4150 is an awesome device, no doubt about it - I've been using one for about a week now, and I'm more of a WiFi junkie than ever before. :D

ricksfiona
11-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Sure it's a great device... But they left out an important fact: 128MB!

I run TransACT with a fairly large database... A chunk of my memory is gone when I load the app.

I use TextMaker alot and when loaded with T/A, most of memory is gone.

I'm tired of installing apps onto my SD card and they run slower when I do.

128MB is a real godsend and expect most buisness class users to expect it as well.

lkawamot
11-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Why is the IR port on the bottom of the device? I think this benefits people who want to use an IR keyboard, but now using the device as a universal remote could be interesting... I guess one would have to hold the device so the IR signal bounces off one's beer belly... I mean table muscles... and hit the TV, VCR, or whatever.

That seems like an awfully inconvenient location to me.

suhit
11-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Why is the IR port on the bottom of the device? I think this benefits people who want to use an IR keyboard, but now using the device as a universal remote could be interesting... I guess one would have to hold the device so the IR signal bounces off one's beer belly... I mean table muscles... and hit the TV, VCR, or whatever.

What is even worse is that the IR port is at the diagonal corner. I am afraid that I would scratch it more easily, especially when trying to cradle the device during a sync. But good point on the IR remote, I wonder what Nevo's reaction is to this...

Suhit

Mbai2
11-13-2003, 11:30 PM
I just got a 4150 yesterday after selling my 2215. I just can't get use to the yellow screen! You have to look at it from a certain angle for the screen to look white. Tilt it one degree and it's an ugly yellow! Even worse is that you have to hold it below eye level to get the right angle. I would have thought HP would have changed the screen on the higher end model. I guess not...I might have to go back to a 4150 if I don't get used to the screen soon. What do other 4150 owners think about the yellow tint of the screen?

thartwick
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I just got a 4150 yesterday after selling my 2215. I just can't get use to the yellow screen! You have to look at it from a certain angle for the screen to look white. Tilt it one degree and it's an ugly yellow! Even worse is that you have to hold it below eye level to get the right angle. I would have thought HP would have changed the screen on the higher end model. I guess not...I might have to go back to a 4150 if I don't get used to the screen soon. What do other 4150 owners think about the yellow tint of the screen?

I couldn't handle the yellow tinted screen, I took mine back. After getting used to the 2215 screen, the 4150's was a step back

gorkon280
11-14-2003, 01:18 AM
A sleeveless 5555 is not much larger then the 4150 in my book. Also, the sleeves and added battery power of the CF+ sleeve and other sleeves let you do things with the 5555 like add a GPRS card and other items. My hope is that HP keeps producing upgrades that continue to have the ability to use these sleeves. Also, and I am sure I am not the only one, when is anyone going to add a realy microphone input to a pocket pc? I have a load of projects I would love to use a ppc for but it needs the ability to plug into a normal input.. Of course I am a power user....for those who want something like a 5555 this 4150 fits the bill. I personally am looking at buying a 43xx series for my wife as she loves jawbreaker and hates handwriting recognition!:)

jngold_me
11-14-2003, 03:39 AM
You guys need to get over the "yellow screen" issue. Geez! You have to tilt the screen to even see the yellow. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to look at my screen dead-on - no yellow there!

The 4150 is BY FAR the best pda I have ever owned.

PetiteFlower
11-14-2003, 04:24 AM
Hey it's all in your point of view.....it's a shame though, HP claimed that they'd fixed the issue in this series. Liars!

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2003, 04:56 AM
I'm with jngold_me. Even more so, I gotta say, what yellow? I'm sitting here looking at a 2215 and a 4150 next to each other and the 4150 looks brighter and has deeper colors as far as I'm concerned. The only time I even get a hint of yellow (on the white areas) is viewing from the bottom at a very steep angle. I had to turn it every which unusual angle to even find it.

ctmagnus
11-14-2003, 05:09 AM
OT:

Also, and I am sure I am not the only one, when is anyone going to add a realy microphone input to a pocket pc? I have a load of projects I would love to use a ppc for but it needs the ability to plug into a normal input..

But the 5550s already have mic input. The headphone jack doubles as a mic jack. ;)

jd617
11-14-2003, 05:34 AM
Just received my 4150 from Mr. Fedex 2 days ago and I haven't been able to stop playing with it!
I did my research before ordering it and knew all about the cataclysmic yellow-tint issues. I'm happy to report that at least for my unit there is no yellowing of the whites until the screen is tilted to an impossible to read angle anyways -- at that point, YES, the whites do take on a pale yellow but I have no idea why anyone would ever bother viewing their PPC from that angle.
Just my $0.02.

2 days of joy and many more to come! Love my 4150 (except for the 1 dead pixel I've found, 3 hard resets with software compatibility issues, and bizarre connection manager behaviour that I will have to figure out.) So far it's been everything I've ever wanted in a single unit. :wink:

maximus
11-14-2003, 12:33 PM
2 days of joy and many more to come! Love my 4150 (except for the 1 dead pixel I've found, 3 hard resets with software compatibility issues, and bizarre connection manager behaviour that I will have to figure out.) So far it's been everything I've ever wanted in a single unit. :wink:

What ? 3 hard resets in 2 days ? 8O

karinatwork
11-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Ok, does anyone know how compatible the accessories of the h19XX series is with the h4150? Like a USB synch charger, or an aluminum hard case, or other stuff like that.

I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally thinking about getting a new pocket pc soon... ;) Hubby's not gonna be happy!

K.

eschatonian
11-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Sure it's a great device... But they left out an important fact: 128MB!

I run TransACT with a fairly large database... A chunk of my memory is gone when I load the app.

I use TextMaker alot and when loaded with T/A, most of memory is gone.

I'm tired of installing apps onto my SD card and they run slower when I do.

128MB is a real godsend and expect most buisness class users to expect it as well.

I would have to agree. I'm not sure how much an improvement this is from the 2215. I think I'll hold off until they have something in this size but with a larger memory.