View Full Version : Formatting options for memory cards

tanalasta
11-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Just wondering what user opinions are for the various formatting options (e.g. FAT16/32 and cluster size) one can format a memory card in.

Have people trialled this out and found out which one gives the best performance or compromise between slack space and speed?

Itanium
11-13-2003, 11:32 AM
This thing directly depends on your usage pattern. I, e.g., dont care about FAT32 on my CF card as I usually have large media files on it (songs and videos) where as on SD card, where i sync AvantGo as well as all my programs and no of files are huge, I prefer formatting it to FAT32 with default cluster size. I dont think minor tweaking in cluster size can boost or degrade the performance in a noticeable manner.

tanalasta
11-14-2003, 06:28 AM
I was just wondering what user opinions were. I use Cnetx's flashformat and currently have only 20Mb left on my 128Mb card so when it says I have 4.5Mb slack space I'm just wondering if it would be worth my while to backup the card and reformat it!

So i suppose the question ought to be: If i reformatted to FAT32 and 512b clusters, would i take a hit in performance from the FAT16/16kb clusters i'm using currently :)