View Full Version : What's Up with ActiveSync 3.7.1?

Andy Sjostrom
11-12-2003, 10:06 PM
I've had some awkward sync issues since I upgraded to ActiveSync 3.7.1. My setup is probably quite unique with numerous Pocket PCs and Pocket PC versions, and there have been more going on in my setup lately than just the upgrade, so I am not prepared to blame it all on ActiveSync, yet. However, we got this message from a fellow Pocket PC friend:<br />"Many 3rd Party PPC Programs use RAPI to access the PPC Registry, move files or databases... It seems AS 3.7.1 has somehow broken these calls...". Then the message points at some posts in one of the <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ActiveSync+3.7.1++RAPI+or+DESKTOPTODEVICE&btnG=Google+Search">Windows CE newsgroups</a>.<br /><br />I have stopped using RAPI a long time ago and use HTTP and XML Web Services throughout my solutions, but I guess there still are valid usage scenarios where RAPI might be a better choice. Regardless, I wonder if you've seen any of these issues yourself?<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> I just learned that this is a known issue and that Microsoft is about to post a knowledge base article regarding this matter. As far as I can tell, the article contains both an explanation and a workaround. I have posted more details in the threads of this post.

caywen
11-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing strange issues too. The main one I'm seeing is that sometimes when I put my 1940 in the cradle, I hear the begin sync noise, immediately followed by the end sync noise; this happens before any syncing happens, and then it never syncs.

If I reboot, it works again.

Andy Sjostrom
11-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing strange issues too. The main one I'm seeing is that sometimes when I put my 1940 in the cradle, I hear the begin sync noise, immediately followed by the end sync noise; this happens before any syncing happens, and then it never syncs.

If I reboot, it works again.

Seeing the same things w my 1940. And I see the LED flashing very awkwardly, fast/slow/intermittently...

Dan Vystrcil
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I have had a rash of dropped connections with my 2215. It was beginning to remind of my days with my Toshiba 330. :wink:

I suspect that it was it was an application installed on my 2215 because I had to hard reset recently and the problem went away.

rlobrecht
11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I was having a problem where when I put my E740 in the cradle, processor usage on System would go to 100%. I would have to power cycle my machine to get it back up. I uninstalled 3.7.1 and reinstalled 3.7.1, and it seems ok so far. Maybe just a corrupted file somewhere.

jngold_me
11-12-2003, 10:52 PM
I was going to purchase the CoPilot 4 GPS software. However, I found out that the PC component no longer sync's with AS 3.7.1. ALK says they will be patching the application to work with AS 3.7.1. As a temp solution, they say to move back to AS 3.7. I will wait until the patch is out before buying the package.

Storm
11-12-2003, 11:01 PM
"Many 3rd Party PPC Programs use RAPI to access the PPC Registry, move files or databases... It seems AS 3.7.1 has somehow broken these calls...".

Yes I can confirm this. I now have a problem with one of my applications that copies an Access db from the PC to the Pocket PC during installation. This wasn't a problem before my customers "upgraded" to AS 3.7.1 :evil:

Steven Cedrone
11-12-2003, 11:04 PM
What a coincedence...

I was just ranting (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20585) about ActiveSync last night...

Mind you, I don't get into it like you developers, but there seems to be enough frustration to go around for all of us...

Steve

dakotamoon
11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
More problems with 3.7.1 than with any previous synch managers.. many rapi.. errors reported.. My main pc.. refuses to acknowledge my Ipaq2210 now.. so I will have to do a complete windows install to fix the problem.. system restore reports.. rapi problems.. can't restore... GRRRRRRRRRR

The PocketTV Team
11-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Another problem I see is ActiveSync "Explore" windows that stay empty or don't refresh when I select "refresh" in their menu.

This seems to happen when several ActiveSync "Explore" windows are opened while switching conmnection to another device.

This problem has been reported by several other users on other forums (newsgroups etc).

quidproquo
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Sometimes when I put the PPC on the cradle... ActiveStink makes the connect noise...and then immediately the disconnect noise....and then it will say that ActiveStink doesnt recognize the PPC trying to connect...Retry...disconnect... :evil:

And occasionally...when I put it on the cradle....it causes an immediate soft reset of my entire PPC! :huh: What...!?!

That is one plus that Palm has over PPC ---- their synching software seemed much more stable.

(I don't want to go back to Palm (ugh) but at least they got one thing right over PPC)

yawanag
11-12-2003, 11:49 PM
I read a view negative reviews about it when it was introduced and said, "Thanks, but No Thanks!

Balsky
11-13-2003, 12:33 AM
I had both positive and negative experiences. When I installed WM 2003 on my 3970 it was impossible to get a connection. Even after several soft resets I only got the computer to recognize the 3970 as a guest. It was so unusuable that I sold it to buy a 2210. Which worked perfectly. I only had the device recognized as a guest once.

Also, the Bluetooth synch seems to work perfectly. I use it to browse the web with an active DSL connection on my PC while I'm in bed.

-Balsky.

KAMware
11-13-2003, 01:08 AM
As a developer that uses RAPI on all my ThemeMaker programs I have encountered complaints from several people who updated to 3.7.1 then could not get connected.

Some of the older versions of ThemeMaker were having this problem so I investigated and found it to be a timing issue. When the program attempts to retreive the directory contents for the first time on the PPC from ThemeMaker it would error out. I simply put a wait loop in the code increasing the time until it received the data. For some reason it only happens on the first try.

ghostppc
11-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Same problem while using activesync and pocket controller. It starting happening frequently within the past month. I have all kinds of software installed so I can't blame it all on activesync either. But I get that stupid RAPI message on pocket controller when it tries to connect. And if it connects at all on activesync, it would connect as guest. I went back to activesync 3.6 and haven't seen the guest problem yet. But the RAPI message still pops up on connection.

deich
11-13-2003, 01:56 AM
I would like to echo Pocket PC Ponderer. I used A/S for months without problems. Now, for some reason, the explore window is often blank. Soft resets of the PPC, reboots, disconnect, reconnect -- I haven't found a solution. If anybody has, please let us know!

The PocketTV Team
11-13-2003, 03:10 AM
I would like to echo Pocket PC Ponderer. I used A/S for months without problems. Now, for some reason, the explore window is often blank. Soft resets of the PPC, reboots, disconnect, reconnect -- I haven't found a solution. If anybody has, please let us know!
For me the solution is to close all ActiveSync Explore windows, disconnect the device, reconnect, and when it is sync'ed, click on the Explore tab again.

Have you tried that ?

andbrown
11-13-2003, 04:48 AM
There is a KB article that will be posted shortly regarding the RAPI issues with ActiveSync 3.7.1. This is purely developer-focused, though, so if you are not a developer who is having problems with a previously-working RAPI implementation, this won't be of much help, unfortunately.

mhowie
11-13-2003, 05:17 AM
For those of us having issues, can one "downgrade" back to 3.7?

Thanks,

BobWitt
11-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Re: Downgrade to AS 3.7 - I did so but I had to delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Activesync directory and search for RAPI.dll and delete it also after the uninstall...

I then reinstalled 3.7 and was all clean... I am a developer and 3.7.1 kept me from movind Access DBs to and from the PPC with the DevicetoDesktop and DesktoptoDevice calls... Maybe the timing issue noted eailer in this thread????

It sounds like the population of the explorer screens could also be related!

I look forward to the KB artical

BobWitt

Andy Sjostrom
11-13-2003, 07:32 AM
Here's the info I got from Microsoft:

"With any version of ActiveSync, the correct way of init RAPI synchronously is

//
// pseudo code
//

CeRapiInitEx( );

While (! UserHitCancel)

{
WaitFor the rapi event;

If ( succeeded )

{
Break;
}

}

If ( !succeeded )

{
CeRapiUninit( );
Goto exit;
}

The difference in 3.7.1 is, when waiting for the rapi event, you are free to
use WaitForSingleObject (if calling from worker thread) or MsgWaitForMultipleObjects (if calling from UI thread) while in previous
versions you always have to call it from a thread with message pump and use MsgWaitForMultipleObjects. Other than that, it should never be necessary to repeatedly call init and uninit."

caywen
11-13-2003, 08:29 AM
I love PocketPC's, but I hate Active-Dammit-This-Software-Sucks.

(I'm not even going to try to find a clever name that rhymes with Sync.)

Russ
11-13-2003, 08:37 AM
I've never had any real problems with ActiveSync, just lucky I guess :roll: , but I've known many who have and have tried to help. As usual I keep the versions up to date, but the new version, at least on my setup, now hangs when processing the email sections. Just hangs. Solution is to reboot both PC and soft reboot PPC. It happens repeatedly.

I've tried re-installing ActiveSync etc. but to no avail.

I have know idea if this is the same problem, but come on MS, we've suffered enough.

Russ

Lday
11-13-2003, 12:51 PM
I had a problem installing Pocket Quicken, Landware's advice was to drop back to 3.7 (or lower). Once I did that, I couldn't see a compelling reason to (ahem) "upgrade" back to 3.71.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
11-13-2003, 01:07 PM
May I know where to download AS 3.7? I've problems with "Guest" mode over AS 3.7.1

prototype
11-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I upgraded to 3.7.1 recently ... and shortly after rebuilt my 1940. I found out that you cannot install Pocket Quicken with 3.7.1. When you try the software just keeps stating that the PDA is not connected.

I confirmed with with Landware and they said it had to do with 3.7.1

-Drew

jolam97
11-13-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm also having the connect, then disconnect problem with activesync 3.7.1 as well. The connection will start as of it's syncing, then just stops working and gives a message that it cannot recognize the device. Soft resetting the ipaq and rebooting the pc didn't help either :evil:

This is the 2nd time I came across this problem. The first time I hard resetted and that fixed the problem for a while. But now it's coming back. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue without having to hard reset? BTW, I do have the clear notification fix installed so that shouldn't be the issue.

Newsboy
11-13-2003, 05:57 PM
I've been having similar problems with my 1910 since I got it back from warranty service. Took a couple soft resets of the PPC and re-syncs in the cradle before it would establish a partnership. Even then, sometimes when I dock the 1910 it doens't recognize the device and goes into guest mode.

Annoying as all get out.

Hx4700
11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Caywen -
The one I like best is "ActiveStink". I use it in all my posts now.
Any other good ones????
Ron...

ctmagnus
11-14-2003, 01:03 AM
I had a problem installing Pocket Quicken, Landware's advice was to drop back to 3.7 (or lower).

I noted that also with my last rebuild. PQ would not install with AS3.7.1 on the desktop but went without a hitch when I downgraded to AS3.7.

EricR
11-14-2003, 06:19 AM
May I know where to download AS 3.7? I've problems with "Guest" mode over AS 3.7.1

You can find ActiveSync 3.7 on the Microsoft site here:

ActiveSync 3.7 Link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=67e9e87c-ca96-48b4-b5d4-f3e047ca5108&displaylang=en)

EricR

EricR
11-14-2003, 06:30 AM
FYI,

According to the MS Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824116

Outlook 2003 requires ActiveSync 3.7 or greater. Unfortunatly, version 3.7 isn't very easy to find on the MS website.

With Balmer & Co proclaiming the greatness of Outlook 2003 from the rooftops, it looks as if we'll see more and more customers moving to AS 3.7.1 (and calling us asking why our products no longer work).

EricR

Wiggin
11-14-2003, 07:00 AM
I Just got off the phone with HP Tech Support (getting some WiFi issues worked out with a 4150) and one of the key learnings from the whole conversation is that version 3.7.1 is NOT the version to be using. As part of the solution to my challenges, I uninstalled 3.7.1 and reinstalled 3.7 (a link to the location on the MS site is already in this string in an earlier post). This particular support technician said that the list of "problems" with 3.7.1 is very long, and getting longer by the day. HP is recommending EVERYONE who has any sync issues to back up to 3.7 and wait for MS to issue a new release of ActiveSync.

Just some food for thought for any of you who are experiencing strange happenings....

Best 'o luck!

chess
11-16-2003, 03:02 AM
it looks like i see 3.7.1 though not 3.7 ?? so should i unplug the cradle, uninstall restart and reisntall.. ??

thanks guys

BTW I have version 3.7 build 3083.. can anyone confirm if this works.. I am not sure if i have to do something special in the settigns to read the emails ?

thanks

boxall
11-18-2003, 01:39 PM
I have the same problem with 3.7.1...Blank Explorer windows...VERY frustrating. Works a few times then blank. Then I have to reboot.

boxall
11-21-2003, 08:21 AM
I can browse when I use Resco File Exporer "Send to" plugin no probs.

BobWitt
12-04-2003, 04:20 AM
I’ve been waiting and wanting the KB article on the Desktoptodevice call problems from eVB…

Andy Sjostrom posted some C code on Wed Nov 12, 2003 which doesn’t help me much. I don’t know that I can do the same in eVB…

Is there any update from MS on this front? I’m receiving more and more support calls on this, as are others according to this thread…

If we don’t get a KB soon (that address both eVB and C), maybe MS should pull this update, or add a warning that some 3rd party programs will become unusable after it’s application…

HELP…

BobWitt

gniemcew
12-11-2003, 11:07 PM
To get DESKTOPTODEVICE (and related) to work in ActiveSync 3.7.1, you need to:

1. Use __stdcall (STDAPICALLTYPE) for DESKTOPTODEVICE and all RAPI calls:

typedef HRESULT STDAPICALLTYPE CERAPIINIT_FN(VOID);
CERAPIINIT_FN* m_pfnCeRapiInit;
m_pfnCeRapiInit = (CERAPIINIT_FN*) GetProcAddress(hRAPILib, "CeRapiInit");
HRESULT hRapiResult = (*m_pfnCeRapiInit)();

2. Always initialize RAPI (CeRapiInit()) BEFORE calling DESKTOPTODEVICE - in the same thread. In 3.7.1 if you call DESKTOPTODEVICE without an initialized and active RAPI connection, it will blow up every time or give you weird "remote procedure call failed".

No clue how to get this to work under VB. Hope this helps someone...

Gary
[/url]

igor334
04-20-2004, 10:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone got the desktoptodevice working in visual basic(and active synch 3.7 or 3.7.1). I got devicetodesktop working ok(after moving back from 3.7.1 to 3.7). But desktoptodevice does not work.

Thanks in advance.

igor334
04-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I just figured out that the problem seems to be with the fact that the cdb file allready exists on the pda. If I delete it, it works fine, also if I set the flag not to replace the database. Then I am asked to confirm if I want to replace database. But I can't get it to work, to replace it with out asking the user.