View Full Version : Zune USB Not Recognized

DaveLG526
01-01-2007, 08:55 PM
This AM I turned on the Zune only to find it will nit be recognized by the Windows XP USB port. It had been working for about 2 weeks without issues. In addition when I go into the device manager it shows the port not working.

I also have a Found New Hardware notice for the Zune that pops up even when the Zune isn't connected.

I tried the items listed ny uSOft to no avail.

:confused:

DaveLG526
01-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Well it was a simple fix. I connected to my docking station and saw that the battery was charging. I swapped cables and reconnected to my laptop and everything was working again.

The cable was bad. I called MS and they will send me a new one under warranty. A little disconcerting since I only used the cable twice when I initially synched the device two weeks ago. Maybe the cable was just a bad one or perhaps they aren't very rugged. Time will tell.

:)

DaveLG526
01-22-2007, 05:03 AM
I received the new cable within 5 days and that solved the problem.

:)

priesmeyer
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
You had a second Zune cable lying around? Wonder if this was my problem?

alavan
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
I was getting the "USB device not recognized" error when connecting my Zune. Resetting it with the left arrow and top part of the pad was not enough. I had to follow these instructions to restore the Zune:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927001/

The first few tries didn't reset it. But I eventually got it to reset. Once I connected it to PC with Zune software already installed, it worked like a champ again. So, not in all cases does a spare cord do the trick.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. In attempting to determine what may have caused this, I realized that I had the Zune connected to my PC when rebooting the PC. I'll not do that again. But, at this point I"m not sure if that was a contributor.