View Full Version : Help - cannot restore!

terrypin
11-12-2003, 01:38 PM
For second time in a couple of weeks, when I had to restore after a hard reset, PocketBackup Plus failed to work. Stopped after about 10 seconds.

I've sent BackupLog.txt to Sprite, and hope this time I will get a fast response. I really do not want to have to go back to a very old backup again...) FWIW, here's an arbitrary chunk of the start and finish of BackupLog.txt:
-------
Wednesday 2003/11/12 11:34:08
Pocket Backup 2.1.3
Build 3091801
Pocket Backup No License evaluation version
LOG AOptionHandler::No options 2
LOG loadFromRegistry() Couldn''t get user name 2
LOG Expiry period already set
LOG Evaluation not expired
LOG TaskMode is set to LOCAL_MODE
LOG About to test exe for END_OF_IMAGE
LOG Running in self extracting mode
LOG Resources loaded
LOG hp iPAQ h2200
LOG Set EXE:621568 DLL:129024

etc

LOG Data Estimate : 23744943
LOG Restoring FileSystem
LOG Start Menu is: \Windows\Start Menu
LOG CreateDirectory() failed \Network OID-536870911 161
-------

That reference to Network at the very end makes me suspect it's a similar cause to last time. I didn't understand the instructions Sprite gave me. Here it is verbatim:
-------
"The log file that you sent us indicates that there is a problem with an invalid path. What it could happen is that at backup time, Pocket Backup has backup some network directories but these network directories are not longer available. Because of this, when the application tries to restore them it fails because can't find a path to them.

To fix this problem, I will recommend you to perform a selective restore. If you have the backup file in your PC, copy the file to your PPC and action the restore process from there. When the backup file is loaded in the Restore screen, expand deselect the network directories."
-------
But I do not have 'network directories'!

Here is a screenshot just before I tap Restore.
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/PPC-Screenshots/Restore1.gif
(BTW, I don't have Email either, but have left this checked for now.)

Any suggestions please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Pat Logsdon
11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Have you mapped any network directories to your PPC? If so, the name of the directory would show under the "My Documents" category.

Where did you save the backup file to? A storage card or your PC?

terrypin
11-12-2003, 06:02 PM
No network mapping - not deliberately, anyway (I have no network). Nothing like that under \My Documents.

Backup was to 1GB CF card, as EXE type.

Since posting I've tried about 8 separate similar backup files ranging back over a month. All gave same error.

I have recovered after a fashion using an old ActiveSync backup, on PC. Now in the tedious throes of trying to reinstall and reconfigure everything I've done in the 6 weeks since. Still hoping I can somewhow 'overtake' this restore using one of my EXE backups. I've been doing them studiously every morning. Fat lot of good... If it's some fundamental issue that prospect doesn't look bright. :(

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

dh
11-12-2003, 06:24 PM
You seem to have bad luck with Pocket Backup. My setup looks just like your screenshot and has worked fine - both practice restores and the one real one I have needed. I also backup to a CF card, everything other than the two memory cards, just like you do. Only difference is that I use PPC2002.

Are you sure you have the newest version? I seem to remember there were some WM2003 issues when it first came out. I hope Sprite can help you out.

sublime
11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I had bad luck with my backup, too. I performed a hard reset yesterday, restored my backup file, but found none of my contacts or appointments listed. I had to sync to my desktop to get them back, so it wasn't a big deal, but I would expect that backup would do that for me instead.

Phooey

terrypin
11-13-2003, 09:55 AM
It's a bug!

Just had email from Sprite, which includes this
Thank you for your e-mail. The log file that you sent me shows the exact error is before, (Problem with an invalid path). I have managed to recreate the error and I think that is an error with Pocket Backup that creates a network directory even if you don't have one and fails when tries to restore this directory. We will fix this error in our next version but in the mean time to fix this problem you need to perform a selective restore and deselect this directory...

The other thing that you can do is use an old backup file to restore your system data and use your new backup file to restore everything except system data.

Clearly I need to establish a robust backup/restore regime - can't go through this every couple of weeks! But first I want to be in a confident position to recover to the 'quite good' state I reached after a major slog yesterday. It was an early September backup made with ActiveSync that eventually got me back up. Then I did progressive AS backups to my PC as I re-installed two month's worth of stuff. Now I'm going through it updating trial progs with registered ones where necessary, and version x with x+1, etc. Real chore. It's good though that at last Sprite have recognised it.

I expect there may be quite a few more WM2003 PB users out there who are unaware that their methodically-prepared backups might fail when they need one!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.