View Full Version : ActiveSync: thrust into our lives to torture us...

Steven Cedrone
11-12-2003, 04:54 AM
Time for yet another ActiveSync rant... :wink:

I'll be honest with you, I've said it before and I'll say it again. When ActiveSync works, it works well, but when it breaks, you wind up wanting to break things...

So let me start my saga with a little background information. Work PC, a Compaq running Outlook XP and ActiveSync 3.7.1. Home PC, a clone running Outlook 2003 and ActiveSync 3.7.1. The Pocket PC, an Ipaq 2215...

I decided to rebuild my machine at work, it just needed to be done, it was acting up. No problem, had the machine up and running in a few hours. All software was loaded and life was good. Until it came time to sync my 2215. I gently placed the device in the cradle and...

Guest...

O.K., so I soft reset and place in the cradle again...

Guest...

O.K., so I reboot the machine and reset the 2215 again...

Guest...

Son of a *&^%$!!! So I walk away to calm down. You shouldn't drink coffee to calm down, it doesn't work! Now I start tweaking to get the device to sync, I tweak and tweak and tweak some more...

You guessed it: guest...

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!

Now I decide to sit back and really think about it a minute. Where have I seen this behavior before? Some of you may or may not remember these: sync stations! So I decide I will toggle the "GuestOnly" registry key to see if it will help. I go to Chris De Herrera's CE Windows Web Site (www.cewindows.net) and grab the Undocumented ActiveSync Keys App. (http://www.cewindows.net/applications/undocumentedactivesync.htm) I said to myself "what the heck, it can't hurt. So I toggle "GuestOnly" on and off, drop the 2215 in the cradle, and what do you know...

The "Create Partnership" wizard... (It worked for me, YMMV... :wink:)

Cool, things are great. Uh oh, 4276 calendar appointments need to be sync'd, and I'm staring at the wonderful "Do you want to combine these items" dialogue box...

Oh &^%$...

Well, I really don't have a choice, so I give it the O.K. Finally, sync is complete, and I check the calendar. Every appontment I ever made has duplicate entries. I expected no less. :roll: Now I head on over to grab my copy of Outlook Duplicates Remover (http://www.hlyspirit.org.uk/cms/index.php?id=48) and stand vigil as my calendar is purged of all of the duplicates. It takes what seems an eternity, but it finally finishes. Thank goodness, because that really had my blood pressure up...

Then I went home... :evil:

I put my 2215 in the cradle and, I am again staring at the "Do you want to combine these items" dialogue box...

What the ^%$#!!!

Well, you can see where this is going, again I combine, and purge. I am now caught in this loop... (remember the ST:TNG episode???)

So what's the point you ask???

I'm getting to it, trust me. :wink: I know when I go to work tomorrow I will be facing the same ugly dialogue box, and I know ActiveSync is going to trash my calendar. Eventually, I will get it all straightened out, but it could have been so simple...

Palm, had this much right: I should be able (before I even cradle my device) to choose a partnership and specify one of the following:

Desktop overwrites handheld.
Handheld overwrites desktop.
Syncronize the devices.
Do nothing.

Then I could have made the work desktop overwrite my hadheld, brought the 2215 home and had the device overwrite my desktop, and all three devices would be on the same sheet of music. Is it too much to ask for? Why can't Activesync be modified to do this? Don't tell me about the wonderful future versions of Windows that will make sync'ing your device a breeze. I don't want to hear it. If it is based on ActiveSync as it is today, it will still be a headache to deal with...

Why can't ActiveSync work for us as well as HotSync works for Palm users??? The only advantage ActiveSync has over its Palm counterpart is that I don't have to push a button to syncronize my device. Well I'll tell you what, I'll gladly give up that advantage in a heartbeat if I had more control over what ActiveSync does, and more importantly, doesn't do, with my data...

Rant over...

I feel much better now... :wink:

Steve

Janak Parekh
11-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Yup, I feel your pain. The lack of "handheld overwrites PC" is a big problem. I end up deleting my records at home first so that I don't have to combine them...

--janak

Jon Westfall
11-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Time for yet another ActiveSync rant... :wink:
Well, you can see where this is going, again I combine, and purge. I am now caught in this loop... (remember the ST:TNG episode???)

When In Doubt, quote ST:TNG - The name of the episode you're referencing was "Cause and Effect"... great episode if you want to see Kelsey Grammer as a starship captain that blows up the Enterprise because he can't maneuver his own ship.... incompetent psychiatrists-turned-captains......

End of my Star Trek Rant... 0X :mrgreen:

P.S. After batteling with ActiveSync over WiFi this week, I totally sympathize with you. Thanks for the links (esp. to the Outlook Duplicate Remover.)

ux4484
11-12-2003, 11:38 PM
been there done that Steve....over and over again.

After my last AS problems I found that still using Palm Desktop was part of my problem, I had everthing synced, but issues that came up were related to after I would sync my Visor. I dropped Palm Desktop from my machine and now just use Outlook and Pocket Mirror via Hotsync to sync the Visors. Even after I worked that out, I still had unrecoverable AS errors to which a complete uninstall and registry/documents purge of Activesync and Hard reset/reload finally fixed.

Outlook Duplicates remover has been put in my MS office folder group on my PC....it's slow...but it works great.

I've been working just fine since then...but I refuse to upgrade to 3.7.1 or WM2003 until I see all the bugs have been worked out (which seem NOT to be as of yet).

Technicians creed: If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

I don't get it.....Motorola can sell their Truesync software for phones and have it work (for what I've seen) wonderfully with Outlook with very few problems, yet the very creator of PPC OS and the syncing software continues to tinker along at a crawl with all the warts and pimples.....and no acne cream in sight.

maximus
11-13-2003, 03:06 AM
I gave up activestink (and consider it a F#$@ed up application) on the first week of my PPC usage.

I don't get it.....Motorola can sell their Truesync software for phones and have it work (for what I've seen) wonderfully with Outlook with very few problems

I second that. I have been using truesync on my motorola T720, it it works all the time. No fuss, no nothing.

JustinGTP
11-13-2003, 04:19 AM
Hmm,

good point steve, I thought that the combining items was excellent, but then again, I have one ipaq 2215 with one pc with xp and as 3.7.1

-Justin :D