View Full Version : Wireless Suggestions

legatolemans
11-12-2003, 03:13 AM
Hi,

I want to buy a pocket pc, and want net access everywhere I go as much as possible. I want to know the best way to get internet access on ppc. I'm leaning toward purchasing the HP iPAQ 1940.

Some ideas I have thought about:
1. SDIO WiFi. Cons: limited to WiFi networks nearby.

2. Bluetooth. Cons: limited to computer nearby w/ net access

3. Connect through VPN to home network? Cons: Need more info on this one. Is it possible? How does it work? Do you use MSN Messenger?

4. T-mobile Internet Service Plan. ($30/month) Cons: Required SIM card on device. Don't know if iPAQ 1940 has it?

5. Satellite. Cons: Is this even possible? I know GPS exists for the handheld, but what about net access via satellite?

I also would like to add a GPS device later on. I know Sockett has a product, and I bet there are more out there.

Any other methods/suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks for all your input in advance.

Jason Dunn
11-12-2003, 06:12 AM
You forgot one: mobile phone with GPRS and Bluetooth, and your iPAQ connects to that phone to get Internet access. It's really the only "anywhere, anytime" 'Net access solution that's viable today.

Brad Adrian
11-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Most wireless users are finding that one single wireless protocol/technology cannot fit every situation or fill every need. For instance, WiFi's speed is great, but the availability of hotspots is a challenge. Bluetooth is nice for close-range connectivity, but isn't always easy to use.

Personally, here's what works best for me: I have a Bluetooth-enabled Pocket PC and WiFi card for it. I use the WiFi whenever I can, but also can connect to the Internet via a Bluetooth link to my Ericsson GT68i phone. That way, with one T-Mobile account, I can get voice, WiFi through their Starbucks network and unlimited "dial-up" for one price.

Thinkingmandavid
11-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Brad ADrian Most wireless users are finding that one single wireless protocol/technology cannot fit every situation or fill every need.

That is a good point. What you find is it takes more than one technology to have your needs met in wireless activity.
If you get a 1940 you will have bluetooth so then you will only need the bluetooth phone. If you go with T-Mobile as Jason suggested, then you can have unlimited access to the internet for a flat 29.99 per month.
Wherever T-Mobiles digital coverage is available that is where you will have service on your phone and have the possibility of internet connection.

legatolemans
11-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Thank you for all your responses.

So, I can get any bluetooth enabled phone with an internet plan, e.g. T-mobile phone + $30/month internet plan, and be able to sync it with my bluetooth enabled iPAQ 1940 to gain net access.

Is their any software involved in this phone-PDA bluetooth sync, or is it pretty much straightforward with the OS? Will their likely be any complications with the bluetooth-phone sync?

Any other bluetooth phone recommendations would help a lot. I read some articles on CNET.com, but I want to hear more from real-end users.

Thanks.

Robb Bates
11-12-2003, 07:28 PM
I have a Sony Ericcson T610 and an HP iPAQ h2215. I have the $19.99 add on unlimited internet feature and I use it all the time. It works quite well. Even when I only have one antenna bar. As long as you can get a signal, you can get internet. It might slow down a bit when you have marginal signal connection, but I have been very happy with it.

The T610 is just an awesome phone. Some reviews have complained about it's reception, but I actually get better reception than I did with my Nokia 8290.

There is no additional software required , but there is a little bit of technical setup involved. I had to call T-Mobiles data tech support. They were very helpful and got me set up in no time.

Other than that, the two devices work well together.

Robb

legatolemans
11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks robb,

I was looking at the Sony T-610 today on Amazon.com.
They're offering a 200 dollar rebate! (=FREE) Although the sale ends today, so I have to make a decision quickly.

One quick question:
What's the difference between:
T-zones (unlimited email and mobile web access, $5) and
Unlimited Internet ($30, unlimited email and interent access)?

Robb Bates
11-12-2003, 11:25 PM
T-zones is WAP only. Nice, but only accessable from your phone.
Unlimited Internet is like a regular ISP. You can connect via cable, Infra-red port or bluetooth with the T610 and PPC.

One important thing to remember. T-Mobile doesn't offer an SMTP server other than it's t-zones email, so if you want to send via your PPC, you'll have to come up with another SMTP service.

I'm not sure where you're getting the $30 price. I'm paying $19.99. That may be different depending whether you're using data only (with a PC card) or adding the data package onto a voice plan (which is what I'm doing).

Grab the T610. It's a sweet phone and it works great with my h2215. The data plan you choose will depend upon what you want to do, but if you want to access the internet via something besides just the phone you'll have to get something more than just t-zones.

Robb

legatolemans
11-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Thanks for all the clarification,

My mistake on the $30/month. It is $20/month.