View Full Version : Is that my password in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

The PocketTV Team
11-11-2003, 11:35 PM
I found a nice (and free-for-personal use) WiFi mobile sniffer for Pocket PC:

Airscanner Mobile Sniffer (www.airscanner.com (http://airscanner.com/downloads/sniffer/sniffer.html))

I love what they say on their home page:

As a network administrator, you want to protect your users' confidential data. What better way to do this than to stroll down the hall with Airscanner(TM) Mobile Sniffer hidden in your pocket?

Thanks to our support for Ethereal packet capture format, grabbing your user's passwords out of the airwaves is as easy as watching a movie!

Your users unintentionally send their passwords through the air in clear text, so it is better that you discover this first before a malicious drive-by hacker does it for you.

Airscanner(TM)Mobile Sniffer also works in promiscuous mode, so you can also discover unauthorized users who may be associating with one of your access points.
With more and more Wireless networks being used, it's interesting to see that people absolutely don't care about wireless security:

From where I live in San Francisco, I can see 6 wireless networks (using the Scan function of the e740), and 3 of them don't use encryption. I can obtain dynamic IP addresses with DHCP and access the web through those network.

Scary to think how many non-encrypted passwords may circulate on all those wireless networks in all the cities in the world!

Jason Dunn
11-11-2003, 11:37 PM
You emailed us privately about this, and it will be posted on soon. Such impatience! :wink:

The PocketTV Team
11-11-2003, 11:38 PM
You emailed us privately about this, and it will be posted on soon. Such impatience! :wink:sorry, i just thought it did not make it on the front-page news... i *may* be considered un-ethical by some :)

by the way, I tested this application, it works well!

Pat Logsdon
11-12-2003, 12:10 AM
This software was also discussed in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12373&highlight=airscanner).

The software is great, and so is the book! 8)

The PocketTV Team
11-12-2003, 12:21 AM
Ok, I didn't see.

But there's not much of a discussion in this thread - only one post :)

Pat Logsdon
11-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Ok, I didn't see.

But there's not much of a discussion in this thread - only one post :)
Click the first link in Andy's post to see the 3 page discussion (including my initial whining about the software). :oops:

I only linked to that page because it mentions that the software won an award. :mrgreen:

The PocketTV Team
11-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Correct. The other thread is here:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11926

thanks...

garynyc
11-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I understand that none of the sniffers are readily compatible with the Pocket PC 2003 OS, and that there is no support for certain WiFi cards. Is that true? I'm running that OS on my new iPAQ 4155...

Had anyone had any success with any sniffer apps on this platform/model?

Thanks!

Kati Compton
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Since there are two other threads on the topic, and there will be a front-page post, please post there.

Thread locked.