View Full Version : Removing old device names from ActiveSync

laklog
11-11-2003, 04:55 AM
I have a minor but aggravating problem that I hope someone out there can help me with.

I use ActiveSync 3.7 to synchronize my TMobile PPCPE with my desktop. On occasion I effectively hard-reset my PPC (usually by inadvertantly letting the battery run dry). No big deal since it takes but a few minutes to reload the applications and all my data/documents are on my SD card. THe problem is each time this happens I have to start a new partnership and it wont let me use the name of all previous partnerships. I have had to come up with a new name for the device each time and I am running out of creative names (the latest MyTMoPPC). I had the same problem with my previous Toshiba PPC. By the way, the old device names dont show up in ActiveSync under File|Mobile Device. It simply objects when I try to use an old name to set up a new partnership.

THe simple question is:

Where does ActiveSync store the list of devices and how can I remove the previous devices so I dont have to come up with a new name each time?

Thanks alot.

freitasm
11-11-2003, 07:48 AM
On ActiveSync you have File | Delete Partnership... Is the name not showing there?

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I hit this snag once - the profile wasn't listed in ActiveSync but it was still complaining that the name was already in use.

What I did to correct it was I opened Windows Explorer, navigated to C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles and deleted all the subfolders under there.

laklog
11-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did in fact find all of the old names in the folders. Actually most were in

C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\AppData\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

although a couple were in

C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles

I am sure only Bill Gates knows which end up in which folder and what the difference between AppData and Application Data!!

I havent had the need to start antoher partnership yet but I am confident the problem has been fixed. I am not sure why deleting the partnership does not delete the profile, that would make too much sense.

Thanks again.

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I've never seen an AppData folder in that location. :confused totally:

spikedrabbit
11-12-2003, 01:26 AM
or before you sync back up the first time after a hard reset, you could put your old device name in there by going to start -> settings -> system -> about -> device id
I've done that once or twice and has worked fine for me.

ale2999
11-12-2003, 08:04 AM
you guys rock, lol I had the same problem last nit! Once I had it but I resolved it somehow and I forgot, but this site rocks! :D

denbigh
11-13-2003, 01:07 PM
I seem to remember that last time I did this trick (iPAQ 5450) - ie letting battery run down - I connected first as a guest partnership, then restored the backup, after which I re-connected as its old identity, and heyho. :)

Jon Westfall
11-13-2003, 04:11 PM
AppData sounds like its a folder created to make old DOS apps happy (don't know why DOS apps would try to access that sort of directory though...). I don't have it on my XP box, what OS are you using?

laklog
11-18-2003, 09:01 AM
I use Windows 2000 Professional at work where I had the problem. Checked my home computer which runs XP Pro and no AppData folders so you are probably right that it some legacy thing.

Stephen Beesley
11-18-2003, 09:26 AM
I use Windows 2000 Professional at work where I had the problem. Checked my home computer which runs XP Pro and no AppData folders so you are probably right that it some legacy thing.

I am also running Windows 2000 Professional at work and have an AppData folder with my profiles in it. Same as you at home as well: Win XP Pro and no AppData folder.

denbigh
11-18-2003, 09:37 AM

I am also running Windows 2000 Professional at work and have an AppData folder with my profiles in it. Same as you at home as well: Win XP Pro and no AppData folder.

I am running W2000Pro, have no AppData folder, sorry.

ctmagnus
11-19-2003, 03:36 AM
I am running W2000Pro, have no AppData folder, sorry.

Same here.