View Full Version : What was the reason you got your PocketPC?

PoweriPaq
11-11-2003, 01:07 AM
When handheld pc came out, I wanted one, thinking that it could do what regular Windows can do on a PC. Not until 2+ years ago I learned that it wasn't that way, but that's ok, I love gadgets and just want one just for the heck of it. Last year November, I got it and never looked back since. I never put it down and always on my belt every where I go.

So my reason to get it, was for the love of technology and to play around with it. Yea, it's an expensive toy, but now that I think about it, it's as usefull as my laptop. I could get away with my Pocket PC without needing my Laptop when I travel now. And that's a big plus. The expansion capabilities on this thing allows me to have something to do when travelling in the train, and airplane. I never get bored. Just yesterday, I tested the life of the battery and it last 12h and 11m without the back light, and 6h and 10m with the back light. Tested with SPB Benchmark.

Perfect, it's all I can say and I thought I would share. Please share yours.

Thinkingmandavid
11-11-2003, 02:33 AM
I bought my pda because I wanted to have greater access to pim information. I had a few hundred contacts and needed to get to them fast and add to the easily. A paper day planner was too messy for me. Plus, a paper day planner is to much bulk for me to have to carry around.

Next reason is it would help in my day planning, for alarms.

I needed to keep track of my sales and be able to sync it easily and quickly with my laptop, so word and excel have come in very handy.

to pass time when bored or waiting on something, the games are cool to have around.

I feel it leaves a lasting impression about responsibility and how to handle the information that flows through mylife :)

JustinGTP
11-11-2003, 03:28 AM
I bought a PDA because

1. More organizing and Outlook synchronization

2. Word

3. Homework and Printing

4. Games

5. Wireless internet :)

-Justin.

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 04:12 AM
I got mine because I love to be organized and have all my information (among other things now) with me wherever I go. Plus, I hate my handwriting and with Pocket PCs, I can have everything I write converted itnt neat, legibale text.

freakygreek
11-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Ever since I can remeber I always wanted one I guess it started with my friend seeing him use his PalmIIIxe, he has since bought the tungsten E. I've had day planners and as it was before mentioned I found them bulkly and messy. I'm still exploring my unit but I wanted to have something that would keep my day to day dealings in order and at the same time offer a means of entertainment. Right now I'm hoping to play movies wish me luck.

sublime
11-11-2003, 04:26 AM
I was having problems with my laptop and almost lost all of my information. I got the PPC to replace it for note taking during lectures, using a HP keyboard. Now, I'm trying to find as many other possibilities for it.

buckyg
11-11-2003, 04:53 AM
Okay, I admit, at first it was because I love tech stuff and it was a neat toy. But the more that I used the PPCs I've had, the more useful they have become, even for work.

- It first it was nice to have colleagues' phone numbers handy when a user or system problem at 2AM instead of digging out the phone list or firing up the laptop...

- I started traveling for work and I realized: Hey! It plays music, I can play games, read ebooks, have an alarm clock...

- Then one day, the boss wanted something done that day using an iPAQ they had laying around. Suddenly, people are coming to me at work for PPC questions, suggestions, possible uses in upcoming projects...

Mitch D
11-11-2003, 04:55 AM
I got mine because I was tired of the Palm plus I have a thing for toys. What can I say...

PetiteFlower
11-11-2003, 05:04 AM
I got it to carry directions and maps, cause I get lost a lot, and to remind me of things, cause I forget a lot :) And to play games and pass time with :)

ctmagnus
11-11-2003, 05:52 AM
Which reminds me:

Also because my memory sucks.

spursdude
11-11-2003, 06:18 AM
Got mine because I wanted something to play my music, needed an organizer, wanted to play games, and also because the Pocket PC was just so cool.

Woohoo! Post #1000!

JustinGTP
11-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Which reminds me:

Also because my memory sucks.

He he, sometimes that is so true...

-Justin.

bridgecrosser
11-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I got mine because a friend got one of the old HP 548's and needed someone to teach him how to use it. I took it for a few days, compared it to my trusty Palm, and found it far exceeded my expectations. I made the switch that week. I use it to maintain my schedule, keep me on top of my Tasks, manage my growing Contacts list, store Word and Excel files, keep up on my Bible study, and even to have fun watching videos and listening to music.

Thinkingmandavid
11-11-2003, 02:13 PM
:rock on dude!: with the pocket pc :!:
Maybe santa should mysteriously send ppc's to a bunch of palm, oh excuse me, palmone :roll: users :idea:

stevew
11-11-2003, 02:21 PM
I purchased my 1st PPC for it's PIM functions and to satisfy my geek needs. Now I don't know how I could ever go without one.

PetiteFlower
11-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Alright dude, that "excuse me Palm One" joke is getting WAY WAY OLD ALREADY!

tom dunne
11-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Because I am a gadget freak!

And because my old Ericsson R380s is beginning to fade.

And because I love to be able to play games, listen to music and watch movies.

And because my memory sucks too!

Don't Panic!
11-11-2003, 05:31 PM
To view an excel spreadsheet. Everything else was just gravy.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

foebea
11-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Scan for wireless networks, ssh, telnet, soo many books (ubook is king) great games, pocketdos, SCUMM (lucasarts gaming), GSM phone and internet.. the list goes on.

I do everything but counterstrike. 0X [/i]

Thinkingmandavid
11-11-2003, 05:59 PM
HEHE, actually it started that way but it is honestly how i feel about palm, oh excuse me, palmone :roll:
mmmm, could add it to my sig,mmmm

PetiteFlower
11-11-2003, 06:17 PM
As someone pointed out, it's really no different then Pocket PC, oh excuse me Windows Mobile. I think you're getting annoyed over nothing. Palm wants to differentiate between their hardware and software departments, that's not unusual or particularly annoying. I don't like the Palm OS either, but get over it already, seriously!

Oops sorry that was Off Topic wasn't it :oops:

Thinkingmandavid
11-11-2003, 06:24 PM
I didnt mean I was taking it personal. But I do like having fun with it, and I hardly use it.
I know how it works with the companies and them doing that, as such I own handspring stock and waiting to the results for that.

Thinkingman
11-11-2003, 06:40 PM
I bought my ppc because I saw other people buying it and they seemed so popular. I thought it would be cool to have one and see if they really would make a difference in how I handled information that came my way. so far so good :wink:

BTS
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Actually, it was David MacNeill from Pen Computing that got my mind working as to the possible uses of a PDA. He used to write Newton Notes and I was amazed with how you could use a PDA to do many of the things that I was wanting a notebook computer for.

Seven years later I'm on my seventh PDA and keep finding new things to do with them. I've moved away from using desktop programs (Money, my grading software, etc.) and replacing them with things on the PDA. I'm one of those who loves to have my information with me at all times.

Skoobouy
11-12-2003, 08:52 AM
In my senior year of High School I wanted a way to type my notes. Then, one day, I saw a friend with a *tiny* laptop, and I thought: That's what I want! He showed it to me... I don't remember what it looked like enough to say for sure what it was, but it was definitely a color HPC.

So I did a Web search for Windows CE, and I discovered something just about to be released: Pocket PC. Wow! These things were small little pocket computers!

It was then that another friend asked by why I would want such big clunky machines when I could get a Palm, which are "cheaper and just as good..." at which point he demonstrated writing on his Palm V.

BS, I want a pocket computer, not some dinky little b&w lcd calculator. (BTW, I would never call current Palms that).

Anyway, after posting prodigiously in the PDABuzz forums, I settled on the Jornada 548. Paid $550 for that sucker, + $100 for a keyboard. Working high school students and their expendable incomes... :roll: So I had everything I wanted--organizer and note-taker. Of course, I soon wanted more...

Stephen Beesley
11-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Actually, it was David MacNeill from Pen Computing that got my mind working as to the possible uses of a PDA. He used to write Newton Notes and I was amazed with how you could use a PDA to do many of the things that I was wanting a notebook computer for.

Seven years later I'm on my seventh PDA and keep finding new things to do with them. I've moved away from using desktop programs (Money, my grading software, etc.) and replacing them with things on the PDA. I'm one of those who loves to have my information with me at all times.

Great to see David MacNeill get a mention, his Newton Notes column and was one of the great pieces of writing from the early days of the PDA. Some how I miss those days....

Oliver Mitchell
11-12-2003, 10:30 AM
i got mine to so i didn't have to use my laptop to take notes in lectures and also so i could store my contacts

pocketpcfox
11-12-2003, 10:42 AM
In addition to the above, I'd have to say ebooks -- and a color screen to read 'em on -- were a huge incentive to getting a pocketpc. Hundreds of books and webpages available in my pocket.

Now, of course, accessing the internet wirelessly is a "must have" tool.

CTSLICK
11-12-2003, 03:36 PM
1st Gen Reasons:
- Tasks
- Calendar
- Contacts
Solution: Sharp Wizard

2nd Gen Reasons:
All of the above plus:
- Better integration with Outlook
- On screen text input
- More storage memory
Solution: Palm IIIx

3rd Gen Reasons:
All of the above plus
- Color screen
- ability to play audio files
- Pocket Word and Excel
Solution: Casio EM-500

4th Gen Reasons:
All of the above plus
- CF slot for bluetooth and WiFi cards
- Faster processor
- More internal memory
- Email/internet/remote server connectivity
Solution: Dell X5 Advanced

Summary of what I use it for:
- Tasks
- Calendar
- Contacts
- ability to play audio files
- Pocket Word and Excel (and now TextMaker :) )
- Email and internet connectivity
- Remote server connectivity (Citrix)

Interesting that my last purchase was entirely based on hardware needs. My EM-500 was chugging along fine but it was starting to have trouble with the apps I am using. I needed the horepower and the memory. My inability to connect wirelessly to the internet became a much larger factor for me too. I came to hate the cable that I used to connect my EM-500 to my cell phone.

dh
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
I bought a Pocket PC as a next step in a series of mobile computing purchases.

I've always traveled a lot on business and I hate to have to lug too much stuff around.

If I remember rightly, I started with one of those Casio BOSS thingies, and from there have had a Psion, a Rex - still love that concept - an HP WinCE 1.0 clamshell - always crashed - and a Palm Vx.

The Palm was a great device, but after using it for a few years (we still have it, my daughter uses it now) I wanted something with more features. I was close to buying either a new Palm or a Clie, but after finding this site ended up with an Axim.

So far, I have not seem anything that I want to swap my Axim for. I'll be interested to see what POS 6.0 has to offer and my next PDA is going to have built in WiFi for sure, BT as well if possible. I don't want to give up my 1GB CF card so my options right now are rather limited. Only the new Loox 610 actually meets my current requirements.

maximus
11-13-2003, 03:14 AM
GPRS on a large screen (3.5 inch screen is much better than the 1 inch screen on mobilephones)
SMS, ICQ, internet browsing wherever/whenever I want.
Viewing image on a large screen (Duh, those 1.5 inch LCDs on digital cameras ...)

sysh
11-13-2003, 05:39 PM
always wanted to get one..and had extra cash to splash on..so i just bought it..

Mitchybums
11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
I got my first one because I sold the stuff, and it was a promotion. (Palm Personal with 512kb) It allowed me to be able to advice better and sell more. I upgraded it to a Professional with the memory/Rom upgrade pack

Used that for a while, and then went for a Handspring Platinum with 8MB because it could fit more games and stuff in there.
I used it sparingly, but when I found out of the excistence of PocketScumm for Palm and PPC, I tried it, and my handspring wouldnt run it. So I bought a PocketPC to be able to get PocketScumm running.

Added bonus is that I do not need my laptop as much anymore. I use Terminal Server and VNC to connect to my other pc's, and it works just fine on the ppc over wireless. I can also watch movies on the thing (over wireless as well) and those where the things I normaly used my laptop for.

I'm happy now.

PoweriPaq
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
It's really odd carrying around a laptop with you, no matter how small they are. I have 2 small laptop, but I'm not going to put them on my belt. Today, while I was riding the rail transist, there was a guy next to me reading Avantgo on his iPaq 36xx. I was doing the samething, and I noticed he was carrying his laptop with him, huge laptop. At least with the PPC, you don't need to wait for it to turn on. I love my ppc.

Thanks for sharing guys and gals.

JvanEkris
11-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Well,

I always had problems with synchronizing my paper agenda with the one i had to keep on my netwok. Aftrer several missed appointments :oops: i bought my first WinCe machine, never looked back to the paper version......

Jaap

baker
11-13-2003, 10:56 PM
1. PIM
2. View .pdf (for work while in the field) They need to learn a little about reflow.
3. Read Books
4. I had to wait a while for Pocket Quicken, but it finally came.
5. Sync my calendar on the family's computer
6. Excel
7. Useful gadget

szamot
11-14-2003, 07:42 AM
naturally I am a secret spy, it is a part of the get up you see.

Azh
11-14-2003, 03:23 PM
i needed a new phone!

0X

denbigh
11-14-2003, 03:55 PM
I got mine cos I had the oppy to get it free (evaluation for the company!). Now I have it, I wouldn't be without it because of i) contacts ii) appointments iii) tomtom navigation.

I keep it synch'd with my desktop at work, so I have i) and ii) synch'd all the time.

I fancy writing some marine nav programs for it when I have time.... :)

divajess
11-14-2003, 04:26 PM
I got my Handspring because I wanted to get my life organized...then I started reading ebooks and I was hooked. Of course, then the Handspring broke twice, and I was SOL until I got my EM-500. The doors of possibility blew wide open! I got used to the Pocket PC format and haven't looked back since...though once I finally admitted to the (few) limitations on my Casio, I got my iPAQ for:

ebooks: I am an avid reader, but stopped reading very much because I didn't have time. I read ebooks much more frequently and always keep my memory card stocked full of titles.

PIM: I'm incredibly forgetful, and a chronic listmaker. This keeps me organized, on my toes, and now I'm addicted to checking off my Tasks in PI. :)

mp3: I haven't yet purchased a dedicated mp3 player, but I enjoy listening to music on my PPC. Once I got a 256MB SD card for my Casio and switched to ogg format, I was off to the races! Of course, now I'm coveting a 512MB card, but that's neither here nor there...

Portable writing solution: As a writer, I always have to have a notebook, pen, etc. handy to jot down ideas, paragraphs, dialogue, etc. Before my PPC, I was always grabbing for scraps of paper that I'd lose, receipts, whatever was within reach. I hated having to carry a notebook because it was big and bulky, and the ones I carried were too small. Now I use Calligrapher (or Fitaly sometimes) to jot down my ideas to keep for later. And I keep all my writing files on the SD card, just in case I need to work on something on the fly. Now all I need is an IR keyboard!

Music composition: I've been very impressed with the efforts made towards great composition and editing software for the PPC platform. It's not Cakewalk, but it's not hastily drawn sheet music or scrawled guitar tabs either. I can write without having to be home with my guitar or my MIDI keyboard. It's fantastic. I use Pocket Synth Pro and Pocket Strummer...love it. I have Griff too, but haven't taken the time to figure it out.

suhit
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
I bought a PDA because

1. More organizing and Outlook synchronization

2. Word

3. Homework and Printing

4. Games

5. Wireless internet :)

-Justin.

Ditto. Plus, it is my safety net in terms of my forgetfulness ;).

Suhit

sublime
11-14-2003, 08:58 PM
I can now say that the reason I bought it before is not the reason I use it now. Now, it's used to organize any and everything possible. Listpro and Mastersoft Money allow me to organize just about everything that I ever come in contact with for the rest of my life.

...I have issues :oops:

bazza
11-15-2003, 03:09 AM
I bought a PDA to organise my work life. However, I use it for just about everything now:

Finances
Wireless
Personal Productivity
Photos
Listening to music.

:werenotworthy:

Wiggin
11-16-2003, 11:25 PM
I bought a PDA to organise my work life. However, I use it for just about everything now

Echo That!
When you consider how much can be done on a modern day PPC as compared to the devices of 5+ years ago, the question soon becomes... "why haven't you bought one yet?!!"

:lol:

rave
11-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Because I needed more power than what my IIIc had to offer. :)

Candygogo
11-17-2003, 04:54 PM
I bought my Pocket PC because I loved the multimedia possibilities. I won't knock the Palm OS because I did get great usage from it. (ok, no more PalmOne praise!) :wink:

Tipsy
12-10-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking of picking up a cheap Axim (and I've read all the posts above) - I'm just not sure what I would really use it for 8O

I'd certainly like to use it for mp3 playing, but I'm unlikely to want or need to use addressbook-like functions, word or excel.

Are there any particular games or uses that haven't been mention so far that I should consider? I think I just want a PocketPC because it's shiny ;)

senfeng
12-10-2003, 01:50 PM
I originally got into handhelds to "get organized"- that's what I told myself and my wife. But really... I just like GADGETS!!! I started off with Handspring and while I DID get organized, I wanted color, so I got the Handspring color PDA. Wasn't enough for me, though because then I wanted a nicer screen, faster processor, etc. etc. etc. eventually I bought an iPaq. So...

MAIN REASONS FOR GETTING HANDHELD:
1) Cool GADGET!!! :)
2) Wanted to do money mangement without the long start up for PC/Laptop
3) Needed alarmed to do list and schedule (again without PC lag time)
4) GAMES!!!

MAIN REASONS FOR GETTING POCKET PC:
1) CoolER, sexier gadget (at the time) :D
2) Faster Processor (at the time)
3) Windows-esq OS
4) Better Str!p P0ker software :D hehe
5) I knew Gantt Chart software would be coming in the future

MLO
12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Have horrible short term memory, even worse long term memory, had problems with my Palm 505, so I got a Pocket PC.

Plus, I'm an incurable scavenger of information and I don't like carrying lots of paper. I also have an insatiable curiousity about technology on my own time.

Had a Toshiba, but after the first few malfunctioning units, I've switched to an iPAQ 4415. So far, so good.

MLO

ux4484
12-10-2003, 03:18 PM
The Mrs got it for me last Xmas after looking in history and seeing how many times I'd been to the Dell site :D

draiken
12-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok, my first organizer was a Casio BOSS (I've forgotten what it means... but it has to do with Business Organizer System or something), primarily it was to satisfy geeky needs, but also because I've never been able to keep a paper organizer, agenda or anything of the sort.

I used to have 5-10 different places where I had phone numbers and addresses, appointments, school assignments, etc, and since all were some sort of paper, often got outdated, or simply lost.

Then the first Palm Pilot came to the picture, I used to drool at any device I saw, I started a savings fund to get one. About a year later, now that the internet was everywhere (remember this was around 1997-98) I began researching on handheld devices, I liked the HP Omnigo series (THEY HAD DOS!!!! & 1-2-3!!!!), Casio had all sort of organizers, and Palm was bought by 3COM.

I sincerely don't remember how log was it, but my savings fund was still too low, and the first Windows CE HPC (handhelds with keyboard, not the ppc's) devices came out I was amazed, and soon after the first PPCs apperaded... then my parents took pitty on me and helped me buy my first Phillips Nino.

WOW what an upgrade, now I had a full OS to play with, dozens of applications, GAMES!!!! and to go from 64K to 8MB (I believe they had 8 Megs) I was in heaven... but my happiness soon was washed away, NOW THEY COME WITH COLOR SCREENS!!!, and now we have CF cards, now HP introduced the flip cover (Jornada 430SE, yes the one from 007), Now we got PocketPC 2000, 2002, 2003, MP3, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and soon I was hooked, upgrading my PocketPC every year or so... until today...