View Full Version : Holy @$# - I got ActiveSync to Work over Wi-Fi

Jon Westfall
11-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Ok, you can fill in the @$# with whatever you want, but I said something pretty colorful when it actually started working:

I had pockethosts installed, setup the name/IP, and was getting the guest issue. I did everything (including deleting registry keys, the regsvr32 fix someone posted somewhere on the net), but finally got very fed up and simply removed the name/IP combo from pockethosts. I tried syncing, and BAM - it worked.

So perhaps the combination does really screw up the system, I don't know. I know it wasn't resources (I had 20 free MB of storage, 30 free MB of program).

Hope this helps someone!

Sven Johannsen
11-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Can't confirm it messes it up, but I've never had Pocket Hosts or any other Host file on my PPC, and have had AS working over WiFi on Dell Axim's (PPC2002 and WM2003), Jornada 568, HP 2215 with Symbol card, and HP 4155.

I do have a WINS server running at home however, which is not typical.

Jon Westfall
11-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Before I installed Pockethosts though, my PPC couldn't find my laptop to sync with, so I don't think it messed it up, it just didn't serve its purpose through the entire process.

DrtyBlvd
11-10-2003, 04:11 AM
This has been discussed a fair bit in various places - both here and at other forums - FWIW, Mine would NOT work until I used pocket hosts, got the guest, and then removed it. (Pocket Hosts that is.) No idea why either, but it is re-creatable, consistently. (I was at the hard resetting stage anyways;)

Classic case of YMMV :!: :lol:

jimski
11-10-2003, 06:13 AM
I have a Linksys Wireless Router and had no problem running Active Sync with my 5450. I was actually pretty impressed with is working on the first try. No special settings or software. My iPAQ also communicates regularly (using Resco Explorer) with my laptop (wireless), tablet (wireless) and destop (wired). They are all running Windows XP.

lazerin
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
OMG! It worked for me too!
Before setting up my adhoc wifi network, I did a lot of reading and people were saying you needed pockethost so I installed it and could not get it to sync. After I removed pockethost, it synced first go!!! Whoa!

Amazing. :mrgreen: