View Full Version : Just experienced my first spontaneous hard reset...

Steven Cedrone
11-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Here is the chain of events:

I decided to do a full backup (using supplied backup software from Sprite)...

Completely forgot that I did the afore mentioned backup. Put Pocket PC in cradle (which at this point probably said to perform a soft reset). ActiveSync would not sync (just had the green spinning arrows). Pulled the Pocket PC out of the cradle(still not even bothering to look at the screen), performed a soft reset, and was greeted with the setup screen. Quickly did a restore, ActiveSync'd, and let my desktop (which is current), overwrite my Pocket PC (Calendar, contacts, etc.)...

I wonder if others with spontaneous resets had them as a result of "not paying attention"...

This was my experience... YMMV... :wink:

Steve

buckyg
11-09-2003, 05:35 AM
I had a spontaneous hard-reset tonight, too, but it wasn't because I didn't pay attention.

I realized that I had not made a backup in a few days. That's not good, I know. The plan was to do a soft-reset to first, to regain any memory lost from memory leaks. Well, it cleared out memory alright. Fortunately, the backup wasn't that old. I was able to get going quickly after a restore and synch.

I've had one or two spontaneous hard-resets before. I have had a few where I had either installed or uninstalled some software and had problems.

Anyway, from these experiences and yours, I get 2 important rules:
1 - Backup often
2 - Pay attention

Best regards,
buckyg

Janak Parekh
11-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Hmm. I've never had a spontaneous hard reset like you guys have. I've had situations with my original iPAQ 3650 where the battery drained away - unit froze for some inexplicable reason, with the Microdrive running, while in my pocket - and I had to recharge it and reload everything.

But yes, some form of backup is essential. I ActiveSync with two machines every single day.

--janak

rustoni
11-10-2003, 07:39 PM
I have gone to soft reset my ppc and it's done a hard reset ? luckily i had backed it up that same day.