View Full Version : x5 cases

nuggetman
11-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Can anyone recommend a good X5 case? Preferably an aluminum/titanium/etc one?

PetiteFlower
11-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Do a search and you'll find the MASSIVE thread where we discussed every case ever made for the X5, including the Proporta/Rhinoskin/Innopocket aluminum one :)

There was also a front page review of that case a while back.

Jason Dunn
11-08-2003, 10:25 PM
I got sent one of the Rhinoskin X5 Titanium cases a few weeks ago, and it's AWESOME! I keep meaning to do a front page post on it...

nuggetman
11-10-2003, 03:45 AM
I got sent one of the Rhinoskin X5 Titanium cases a few weeks ago, and it's AWESOME! I keep meaning to do a front page post on it...

what's the difference in the aluminum and titanium cases besides the material and about $60 in price?

PetiteFlower
11-10-2003, 06:55 PM
I think you pretty much nailed the difference right there. Titanium is a more expensive metal then aluminum; it's also harder without being heavier. It may also be a slightly different color. Personally I think it's for people who have nothing better to do with their money; the aircraft grade aluminum should be plenty protective unless you plan on running over your PPC with your car or something!

Islanti
11-10-2003, 11:49 PM
I wasn't going to get the titanium case for my Axim until I found out all the improvements they made to the original design.

* The titanium case has a holder for 2 SD cards built-in to the front flap.
* The latch is moved further down the case (below the opening for the jog dial and record button). The aluminum case has this in a more awkward position in line with the jog dial.
* The lip covering the top of the Axim is larger as well (protects more of the top without interfering with CF cards).
* The case seems slightly larger overall, seating the Axim "deeper" inside the case. I haven't measured this, but it seems a bit harder to get SD cards out with the case on.

My aluminum case also had a recurring problem where the pivot pin holding the front on kept working its way out. My titanium doesn't have that problem.

David Prahl
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Also the aluminum case can easily be bent out of shape. Keep some pliers with you if you get one. :lol: