View Full Version : Sandisk SD WiFi and iPAQ 2210 mini review

popabawa
11-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Just got my shiny new 2210 and Sandisk SD WiFi card.

Very impressed with both (upgrade from a 3870 + Silver Slider II + Buffalo CF WiFi card).

Installation was boringly easy! From installing the drivers to surfing took around 20 seconds. Install drivers - Insert SD card - surf. FAN-tastic, that's how WiFi SHOULD work!

Range with the Sandisk is about 50% greater than the Buffalo card. I live in an old victorian house with VERY thick brick walls and with the old card, my kichen and bedroom were both out of range, now I get 30% - 40%
signal strength in those areas which seems to work just fine for surfing (very little appreciable drop in speed).

Battery life is also improved. From a full charge, I surfed for just over an hour with backlight on about 75%, sent a couple of things to my girlfriends phone over BT and still had 72% battery life :D

Page rendering is waaaaay faster on the 2210 making the whole experience much more bearable.

Hope that helps a little to anyone considering the Sandisk card!

Iain.

whitlock
11-07-2003, 10:15 PM
I've read there are these two issues with the SD WIFI card:

1. SD/SDIO Device in Slot Draws Power While Pocket PC Is Turned Off
2. The SDIO WLAN Card Does Not Initialize After a Suspend/Resume or Soft Reset

Can you comment on those?

sumfunny
11-08-2003, 12:11 AM
I have the same setup SD scandisk wifi and h2210

1. I can't answear because unlike a CF the sd seems flimsy and more fragile so when its not in use I always take it out and put in the sd slot on my case
2. It is true but all you have to do is pop it put and in and it reconnects

straysheepie
11-08-2003, 08:36 AM
I too have the 2215 + Sandisk SD wifi setup, I initially had trouble with the driver but it turned out I was using the old one - once I installed the new one it worked well.

Although... sometimes when I put the card in the Ipaq doesn't know it's in, and I have to pop it out and put it in again to get it to work.

I've been very satisfied, no serious problems with it, I was afraid there would be since SD wifi is so new!

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 03:11 PM
About the "SD/SDIO Device in Slot Draws Power While Pocket PC Is Turned Off" issue...I remember reading somewhere (actually may have been my h1940 manual) that leaving the card in the device when the PPC is switched off will drain the battery and they recommend removing it when not used. :wink: Hope that helps.

dammitjim
11-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I have the same setup, but my battery doesn't last as long even though I have set my card to save battery life. I dont' think I can get more than 1.5 hours of use with the Sandisk SD Wi-Fi card in use.
Do you guys think I'm having a battery problem?