View Full Version : h1940 - Missing Software?

Darius Wey
11-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Just skimming through the h1940 product brochure the other day, I saw that in the Full Versions list of software that was to be included, Resco File Explorer was there.

Feeling all :D and 8) , I decided to look through every folder in the HP CD I got with the h1940, only to find that it wasn't there...

Was I meant to get Resco or did HP just trick every victim reading that brochure?

animlmed
11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
I know the feeling.:) I just got my h1935 and was looking foward to what came on the CD. A pocket pc mag article by Richard Hall on the h1935 said that a full version of Resco Image viewer was included on the CD. I have Resco file viewer on my CD under Tools, but the Resco Image viewer was a download, and you have to pay! I wonder if HP is sending out different CD's (even though all of them should be the same). Was Resco Image Viewer included on your CD?

ucacjbs
11-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Strangely enough, my 1940 did come with full versions of Resco File Explorer, and their image viewer too. I did not, however, get the vouchers/credits/whatever they're called for Handango that I've heard others got bundled with their new iPaqs.

animlmed
11-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Ok, whats going on here. The CD is suposed to be for the 1900 Series of iPaqs. Why would there be a variation between them if the CD is suposed to be the same for all of them?

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Nope, didn't even get trial versions of Resco File Explorer or Image Viewer.

Funny though, that your (animlmed) h1935 got Resco file viewer and my h1940 didn't.

And I didn't get those vouchers as well.

Perhaps these CDs are region-specific. I'm definitely gonna ask HP about it. Don't like paying for stuff I don't get.

Which makes me wonder...how much of the price you pay for the PPC is actually contributing to the cost of the desktop version of Outlook. I wish they had options where you could not get Outlook because you've already got it, and buy your iPAQ for an oh-so-much-cheaper price! :wink:

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Actually, I think I'll refrain from calling HP.

I've called them three times and all they've done is get my details and make me go around in circles not giving me the answer I want.

By the way, on my HP Companion CD, it says it's Version 1.0 May 2003...is yours all the same? This is on the label of the disc...I mean 'on', not 'in the disc'.

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Sorry...too many messages in a row.

But just Googling around...it seems as though that Resco File Explorer is only included on the h1945 and not the h1940, which is kind of stupid considering some countries don't even sell the h19*5 series and that they are essentially the same unit. And it's also stupid because they still advertise that it's included with the h1940 in the Asia Pacific region. :roll:

http://www.pdagold.com/hardware/detail.asp?d=140

That's the link where they say that Resco is available on the h1945.

animlmed
11-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, let me first say that you for all of your research! My CD says Version 1.0 First edition May 2003. From what I understand, and it appears on the cd, these cd's should be the same for all 1900 series. Here is a link to that Richard Hall article about the h1935, where he mentions what is included on the cd. This is strange. I have The file explorer bright as day on my cd, but no resco image viewer. Weird i tell ya....

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/jan04/bargainppcs.asp

Darius Wey
11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
animlmed...

Which country is your iPAQ from? I swear this whole issue is region-specific.

animlmed
11-08-2003, 05:28 PM
USA

But still, I can possibly see a difference in Europe or Asia, but Australia should be fine. ( or perhaps I am assuming. I better not do that... :) )

Darius Wey
11-09-2003, 05:34 AM
Usually Australia is classed under the Asia Pacific region so I assume that whatever Asia gets, Australia gets - even the warranty that I got is for the Asia-Pacific region, not just Australia by itself.

But I'm sure all the h1900 CDs should be the same.
Well...as far as I can see, another good old consumer-business scam.

animlmed
11-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Just a small bump to see if anyone is experiencing the problems we are with the variations in the software bundles on the CD. I downloaded Resco picture viewer (much better than the iPaq viewer) , but I'm not in the mood to pay 20 bucks for it, especially if it is suposed to come on the CD.