View Full Version : No B&N: Where do I get ebooks?

robclif4d
11-07-2003, 01:56 AM
With B&N dropping ebooks, what's a good site to get newer books? Thanks.

Rob

dh
11-07-2003, 03:14 AM
I switched from B&N to Fictionwise and I'm very happy with them. They have a good selection and much more choice of format than B&N.

www.fictionwise.com

Janak Parekh
11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
And, of course, don't forget Palm Digital Media.

www.palmdigitalmedia.com

Yes, they have Pocket PC support despite their name.

--janak

Gee Mont
11-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Don't forget that www.Amazon.com can offer an occasional ebook not available elswhere, though I much prefer www.Fictionwise.com whenever possible. A year or so ago, I also bought a few titles form www.Powells.com before I found Fictionwise.

dh
11-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Don't forget that www.Amazon.com can offer an occasional ebook not available elswhere, though I much prefer www.Fictionwise.com whenever possible. A year or so ago, I also bought a few titles form www.Powells.com before I found Fictionwise.
Amazon have some good deals too. I wanted to buy a book from Fictionwise last night, the price was $17.95 ($14.36 after their funny micropay rebate).
Amazon had the same book for $12.57 - a nice saving.
As much as I like to support Fictionwise, I don't want to have to pay extra to do so.

Mona13
11-10-2003, 01:14 AM
I usually buy from palmdigitalmedia.com or simonsays.com. Check both for the cheapest price, sometimes they are quite different. Also you if you sign up for their e-mail you also get discounts each week.

Kevin C. Tofel
11-10-2003, 01:31 AM
And, of course, don't forget Palm Digital Media.

www.palmdigitalmedia.com

I wanted to second Janek's note. I was a staunch Microsoft Reader fan and purchased most of my books from Barnes and Noble. However, the recent BN decision to drop e-books as well as digital rights \ activation headaches with MS reader caused me to research my other options for a reader....this in turn has led me to buy my books exlusively through Palm Digital Media.

I think you will find their selection and prices very good and the reader is more functional than the Microsoft and Adobe readers. I also think they are more committed to the e-book market.....

Good luck!

KCT

Jay Hartman
11-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Many independent publishers sell titles from their own website, as do many large ones (i.e.: Simon And Schuster, HarperCollins). You should definitely check those out. S&S in particular runs 30% off deals on nearly all their titles, usually making it cheaper to buy from them than another etailer. We usually will uncover a coupon or two for them, which we post on our Steals And Deals page (http://knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=35) which will get you an even bigger discount. I find I buy quite a bit from them.

To title hunt by subject, I recommend taking a look through our Ebook Directory (http://knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=25). It represents 11,000+ titles from 150+ publishers. We don't actually sell the titles, but each listing has a link to where you can get it.

Best,
Jay Hartman
Content Editor
KnowBetter.com: For Everything Ebook
http://www.knowbetter.com

davidspalding
11-13-2003, 11:01 PM
i notice that simonsays.com lists "eBooks" as a category of books. so i visit, i browse looking for Sci Fi, or non fiction, and have to look through an "eBook shelf."

until publishers see eBooks as a medium, as a delivery format, they'll be chugging up teh Sisyphean hill, blaming consumers for not helping with the rock.