View Full Version : Another Random User Survey: Male or Female?

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 07:00 PM
I have this hunch that we have more female readers here lately than we did a year ago, which is a great thing. So please humour me by answering this simple poll question:

David Prahl
11-06-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm not surprised. Not one bit!

As far as I've seen, the "geek gene" is more dominant in males.

kiwi
11-06-2003, 07:22 PM
ah...

I admit, a women, who knows her gadgets really gets my attention if you know what I mean..

sixsixty
11-06-2003, 07:27 PM
now can we find out who these 5 girls are?

thunderck
11-06-2003, 07:32 PM
What we need is a PPC baby doll, or at lease a program baby doll. :idea: Anything to get the ladies into the mix. (if you know what i'm saying)

CoreyJF
11-06-2003, 07:38 PM
What is the expression? boys and thier toys....

sebringal
11-06-2003, 07:39 PM
What we need is a PPC baby doll, or at lease a program baby doll.

Maybe that kind of stereotypical thinking makes the women who ARE on this site want to keep a low profile!

dlangton
11-06-2003, 07:40 PM
You need a third option - Not sure.

thunderck
11-06-2003, 07:46 PM
playing off of stereotypes "sarcastically" is always fun because stereotypes are always so stupid.

PetiteFlower
11-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey Jason can you link to last year's poll? Or post the results?

I know there has to be more then 7 of us here, give it some more time :)

Venturello
11-06-2003, 07:57 PM
8O 8O LOL... its worst than I expected!!

Guess the 270 of us are going to be bored with only 20 ladies around.... (at the time of my post, of course)

A shame, to be honest. Good thing reality is not like this.

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey Jason can you link to last year's poll? Or post the results?

I think it was 5% last year, so we'll wait and see how these results go.

Kati Compton
11-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Here's a link to the old survey.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5648&start=0

Old:

Male: 95%, Female: 4%

Current:

Male: 93%, Female: 6%

So far, percentage-wise, Jason is correct that there are more women now.

(These don't add up to 100% because of rounding error, btw.)

PetiteFlower
11-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Yeah but there were 1300 votes last year so it's really too soon to tell :)

Sven Johannsen
11-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Are men or women statistically more likely to respond to such a survey...accurately?

karinatwork
11-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Come on girls!!! There's got to be a stronger feminine presence than that!!! :D

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 08:52 PM
I think it would be great to know how many women are now a part of ppcthouts. I think it goes to show a lot that we as men dont already know.
Interestingly enough, we have that many people a part of ppcthoughts, but how often actually post and how often. I dont think most post everyday but I could be wrong.

kiwi
11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
You need a third option - Not sure.

My friend's friend is actually probably in this boat.. He is on the way to becoming a she.. (he was not pretty as a boy.. man, you should see him/her in slacks and blouse :? )

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
ok, uh, kiwi, that is gross :pukeface2:

MikeUnwired
11-06-2003, 08:57 PM
This reminds me of the statistical reasons I took education classes as a Econ major -- 1 guy to 99 girls -- only the other way around.

There's nothing like a fine woman holding a PDA... :devilboy:

Joff
11-06-2003, 09:03 PM
They have to start making those ppcs more attractive to women. Like have an integrated mirror. When in mirror mode, you could have the ppc say flattering things like "you are the prettiest girl..." How about a Toshiba e805 pink edition (instead of sober dark) :roll:

I know, I am sad :D

Mojo Jojo
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Yes... that was sad. =>

Foo Fighter
11-06-2003, 09:12 PM
You have to ask whether there are more male readers visiting this site than Females? Jeez..you can cut the Testosterone in here with a knife! :lol:

MikeUnwired
11-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Technically, I think Palm beat the PPC on creating a female version with the Claudia Schiffer Palm V a few years back. That, with the Mirror application made the purple-cased unit a neat little multi-tasker. :mrgreen:

Jimmy Dodd
11-06-2003, 09:18 PM
They have to start making those ppcs more attractive to women. Like have an integrated mirror. When in mirror mode, you could have the ppc say flattering things like "you are the prettiest girl..." How about a Toshiba e805 pink edition (instead of sober dark) :roll:

Reminds me of Palm's Claudia Schiffer model. Anyone recall that?
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-249840.html

Jonathon Watkins
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM

8O Yup. 8O

Please - no more - the memories, the memories....... :lol:

dean_shan
11-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Wow! 589 to 42. This reminds me of a computer conference that I went to this summer.

Kati Compton
11-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Ugh. Pink? Are you trying to get 12-year-old females into PPCs? I'm not buying a pink PPC. Not anything with pictures of flowers on it or polka-dots either. As for the mirror mode... I think that's a comment best ignored. ;)

pivaska
11-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Sooooo would it have been different if a female was hosting the site???? Maybe it would have been done in pink instead of blue...

kiwi
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
You know, I have seen more females with PALM devices rather than pocket pcs. Actually, the only time I saw a female with a PPC device was when I was in FutureShop once and these 2 students came in to find out how to work the PPC they had won in a competition at school.

pivaska wrote:
>Sooooo would it have been different if a female was hosting the site????
>Maybe it would have been done in pink instead of blue...

nah, I dont think so. take a look at www.the-gadgeteer.com - one of the best sites I know.

Jonathan1
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
What no other option...... :worried:

0X :lol:

plankan
11-06-2003, 10:00 PM
The woman from Venus and the man from Mars meet on Earth trying to understand each other!
0X :roll: :devilboy:

JonnoB
11-06-2003, 10:01 PM
You know, I could state so many reasons right now as to why the ratios are like this and all would be true... but I would be considered a chauvenist or a sexist for making such statements so I will refrain. :roll:

rcobourn
11-06-2003, 10:36 PM

No sweat, they fall into the missing 1% :)
(93% to 6% as of this writing)

Kati Compton
11-06-2003, 10:38 PM
You know, I could state so many reasons right now as to why the ratios are like this and all would be true... but I would be considered a chauvenist or a sexist for making such statements so I will refrain. :roll:
I think it's just that on average there are fewer women that are technically involved than men. As to the reason? I don't know. I *suspect* some of it has to do with the toys people are given as children, but I haven't done a study. Barbies vs. transformers and video games for example. :) There are, no doubt, other factors.

I'd say there's also significant peer influence, but that comes from the OTHER girls ALSO not being as interested in technology, so that might make it harder to break the cycle (which is too bad :().

I think this is changing, but slowly.

Jimmy Dodd
11-06-2003, 11:03 PM
I think it's just that on average there are fewer women that are technically involved than men. As to the reason? I don't know. I *suspect* some of it has to do with the toys people are given as children, but I haven't done a study. Barbies vs. transformers and video games for example. :) There are, no doubt, other factors.

I'd say there's also significant peer influence, but that comes from the OTHER girls ALSO not being as interested in technology, so that might make it harder to break the cycle (which is too bad :().

Hee, hee, hee.

Maybe we guys just goof off at work more. :lol:

blusparkles
11-06-2003, 11:05 PM

Well I had one Barbie doll and one Cabbage Patch kid .. but I remember always being more interested in my brother's He-Man and Cyclops figurines ..

dh
11-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Clearly, this sort of tech stuff is mainly for the guys, for whatever reason.

One thing is clear though, the young ladies that are members here certainly make a contribution to the site larger than their proportion of the total mambership would suggest. :)

Kati Compton
11-06-2003, 11:45 PM
Well I had one Barbie doll and one Cabbage Patch kid .. but I remember always being more interested in my brother's He-Man and Cyclops figurines ..
And if you didn't have a brother who had those toys that you could play with? :)

Kathy_Harris
11-06-2003, 11:51 PM
Ugh, and I'm the PPC freak who is trying to get her ex-husband and new boyfriend more involved in pocket pcs???

Well, at least the boyfriend seems to be taking a liking to reading ebooks. He thinks the ewallet is pretty nifty, especially after I had to call all my credit card companies when my wallet was stolen :?

Jonathon Watkins
11-07-2003, 12:06 AM

8O What do you know about the folks around here that we don't????? 8O

:lol:

ojleblanc
11-07-2003, 12:21 AM
I suspect PDA use in general is greatly affected by ones' social network. My female friends gave me a Sharp Wizard for Christmas several years back. That act caused me to leave my paper and pencil organizer behind. From there, I got into Palms because Citibank offered a free Palm III if you opened a checking account with their new (at that time) online bank. From there the rest is history--- Palm IIIxe to Sony Clie NX70V to Palm Tungsten C. But more importantly is the fact that I am completly obsessed by all things PDA (and gadgets in general), reading and posting to message boards daily, buying and swapping PDAs, giving them as gifts, and talking others into buying them for themselves. And it all started with that little Sharp Wizard-- given to me, a woman, by my female friends. But it has been sustained by my own deep interest in technology.

I really don't think that's "male" or "female." Its tech!... one's exposure to it and personal excitement about it, which, as I said, I think is affected by ones's social network. I gave my partner an iPaq 1940 for our anniversary and she loves it! She was attracted to Pocket PCs (over Palms) because she liked the one her business partner (a woman) used-- exposure. And I've recently given both my sisters PDAs (none to my brothers b/c they just don't seem like they'd use them). I'm hoping my sisters will catch the PDA bug, too. We'll see....

-ojleblanc

Ed Hansberry
11-07-2003, 12:31 AM

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-249840.html
Yup. And between that and the Michael Jordan M100 about 2 months later I was told that Palm's serious 2000 sales decline would be reversed. I don't think those two items even caused a bump in that ski slope of a curve. :rotfl:

Lotto
11-07-2003, 01:10 AM
You must also consider that many more men are in tech related jobs that gave them use of a pda at work. It's only been in the last 10 years that the rate of women in the tech field has shown significant increase.

Many people come in first contact through their jobs....either a coworker has one, or the company gives them one.

I on the other hand...started out with a Casio B.O.S.S. and slowly moved into pda's as they developed. I did this on my own as I've always loved tech toys and gadgets.

I still can take out my ppc at a party to show pics of my kids, or check an appointment and I get looks like I am an alien from most women, and from men I get acknowledgement that I am a domestic engineer with a brain...which seems to startle them. :roll:

maximus
11-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Humm. 80 female voted. That is quite a lot of number. And I thought that there are less than 10 female in this forum ... kati, petite, crystal, jenneth, bluesparkles, karen .... I guess I have been mingling with the wrong type of folks. :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
11-07-2003, 01:25 AM
Well, most of them seem to be lurking anyway. :wink:

JonnoB
11-07-2003, 01:30 AM
I believe a large reason there are fewer women are in fact cultural, habitual, environmental, etc. Yet, I also believe that there are characteristics about women and men that cause some of these differences as well. I believe there will be more women in tech over the growing years, but I doubt it will ever be equal.

That said, I see PDAs and similar devices becoming less technical and will appeal to a greater audience. At that time, there will be equitable use and there will be a new 'thing' that will seperate men and women. Maybe the next 'thing' will have women wondering why men aren't as interested as they are in that evolution.

bjornkeizers
11-07-2003, 01:33 AM
82 female, 1022 male. That'll show the girls who's boss around here! :D

Seriously though, I'm surprised we have 82 females here... who knew? Still, they're only 7% so for now, we're safe in our chauvinist attitudes guys :D I must say, I've never seen a female with a PPC or Palm. Tech must still scare them, or they still lag behind in technical skills so they're scared to use such a high tech device.. [/chauvinist mode]

Pat Logsdon
11-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Give it a rest, guys - no one likes to be patronized or stereotyped, not even in a general, tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

Lotto
11-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Many women don't go around saying "btw...I'm a women". If we are in the forums and our name doesn't have gal, girl or something feminine sounding in it, it is just assumed we are male if we are talking intelligently.

You know what assuming does.

David Prahl
11-07-2003, 01:59 AM
:agrue:
I can hear this thread spiraling down into the Hall of Flame & Shame....

down...

down...

yawanag
11-07-2003, 02:46 AM
now can we find out who these 5 girls are?

One is a 70-year-old retired school teacher and proud of it.

I retired at 60. Always resented that the kids knew more about computers than I did so the first thing I did after I retired was buy a computer. I told myself that no way in hell was I going to pay $2,500 for something and sit and pay Solitaire all day.

I never took a class because I had the time. I went through tutorials, talked to computer gurus when I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and learned from them.

I now volunteer teaching computers to Seniors.

I am one of the few women that can walk into Best Buy or an electronic store and think I died and went to heaven. I love keeping up with the latest technology. I don't always know what you guys are talking about but it's mainly because I don't have a need for it.

David Prahl
11-07-2003, 02:49 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

:werenotworthy:

mplough
11-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Give it a rest, guys - no one likes to be patronized or stereotyped, not even in a general, tongue-in-cheek sort of way.
I know! I was having a hard time deciding which to choose....after all I am just a lesbian trapped in a mans body, :D

JustinGTP
11-07-2003, 03:32 AM
This thread is funny, I could respons to so many peoples post with their sexist points of view, but Ill just watch. This is so funny. Im trying to get my mum and dad into the PPC world, but so far only my dad is biting.

-Justin.

Ed Hansberry
11-07-2003, 03:40 AM
I am one of the few women that can walk into Best Buy or an electronic store and think I died and went to heaven. I love keeping up with the latest technology. I don't always know what you guys are talking about but it's mainly because I don't have a need for it.
Adopt me! :lol:

maximus
11-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Adopt me! :lol:

Me too. Heheh. In this life, I have been acting as the person who 'supplied' techie stuffs for the whole family (which is now only consist of a mom, and a girlfriend - the three of us currently working in different countries). I chose and bought things (cars, computers, handphones, TVs, DVDs, digital cameras, MP3 players, PPC, etc.) for them. I narrowed down the choices, and they pick a product that they like. I wouldnt mind being on the other end of the supply line for a change :mrgreen:

Back on topic. Do mind that my post above was in no way intended to be sexist. I like seeing techie ladies. I believe we need more of them. Hence the post.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2003, 04:47 AM
One is a 70-year-old retired school teacher and proud of it.
:werenotworthy: :werenotworthy: :werenotworthy:

--janak

Janak Parekh
11-07-2003, 04:50 AM
I must say, I've never seen a female with a PPC or Palm.
It would have been more accurate to say, a few years ago, that I never saw anyone with a Pocket PC. I'm quite amazed today at the number and breadth of people that have them on the subway nowadays. Don't count anyone out, male, female or otherwise.

I teach a programming class right now and find it very reassuring that the male-female ratio is a lot closer to 1:1 than one might stereotypically think. I've never been a fan of having predisposed attitudes towards gender, and while some trends may have been true in the past and some may be true now, it doesn't mean we can necessarily generalize accurately.

--janak

Ed Hansberry
11-07-2003, 04:54 AM
male, female or otherwise.
Otherwise? :confused totally:

Janak Parekh
11-07-2003, 04:55 AM
I suspect you've never taken the NYC subway, Ed. You probably don't want to know... :razzing: ;)

--janak

Ed Hansberry
11-07-2003, 05:00 AM
I suspect you've never taken the NYC subway, Ed. You probably don't want to know... :razzing: ;)
Probably right...

:pukeface2:

:lol:

PetiteFlower
11-07-2003, 06:40 AM
So it looks like that now there are about the same number of votes as last year's poll, and there are about twice as many women as last year. Nifty!

I can't walk into Best Buy and feel like I'm in heaven.....I can't walk in there at all, but that's only because I always end up spending too much money! There's so much in there that I want and can't afford, it's like torture, I avoid it as much as possible except when I have extra cash around(not often). I'm still paying off my BB indescretions from college, about $200 to go!

juni
11-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Well, I do believe Miscrosoft has noticed the big market for pdas for women, at least if you go by the banners and titles at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/pocketpc/default.mspx - all women. :)

My wife is a pda and gadget geek too. We got a "his" and "hers" 3600 when they first came out, then we got a "his" and "hers" Loox when they came out and now we got two 2210s. :)

ctmagnus
11-07-2003, 07:11 AM
I remember always being more interested in my brother's He-Man and Cyclops figurines ..

The thing with the green thing on its head that spun around? I had one of those! Unfortunately, some punk stole my He-man. :evil:

Noones getting my iPaqs, though. Except my mom - I'm going to try to get her hooked on my 3670 to see if she'll want a 1900 model.

We were in a staples today and I showed the 2210 and 1940 to her and my sister. She seemd mildly interested but my sister wanted nothing to do with them.

Janak Parekh
11-07-2003, 07:15 AM
She seemd mildly interested but my sister wanted nothing to do with them.
Give it time. My sister had zero interest in my Pocket PC until about a year ago. I think I'll probably give her my venerable 3870 this winter. ;) And my mom is an addict with her 1910 -- she's always playing games, doing PDA tasks, or even listening to WMAs on the train!

My dad... now there's a challenge. :lol:

--janak

gadfly
11-07-2003, 07:23 AM
This was a very interesting poll Jason. It really shattered one of my more basic stereotypes.

I had presumed tech-savvy people would be more enlightened.

bjornkeizers
11-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Well, I do believe Miscrosoft has noticed the big market for pdas for women, at least if you go by the banners and titles at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/pocketpc/default.mspx - all women. :)

I think this is a typical case of "what men want" - something nice to look at, and a PPC :D I don't think those banners are the sort of thing to get women to use PPC's. Maybe if they showed off the organising capabilitys, that'd attract women - not a picture of a woman using a PPC

droppedd
11-07-2003, 10:35 AM
This was a very interesting poll Jason. It really shattered one of my more basic stereotypes.

I had presumed tech-savvy people would be more enlightened.

unsurprising. most of the particularly bad comments seem to be coming from the younger readers here (by that i mean < 18 ); not that it excuses it, but hey, i can speak from personal experience - the geeks get nothin' from girls in high school; but in college brains count in the dating game... so naturally there's a little more stereotype and a little less real experience from the young 'uns (young 'uns? i'm 20 and i'm turning into an old man :)). personally, most of my friends in high school were guys; in college probably over half of the people i hang out with regularly are women.

it's also just a vicious cycle. Guy is obsessed with PPC, doesn't meet girls, therefore persists in stereotyping since he has no counterexample. Of course now he's sexist and geeky, which will get him even less contact with the opposite sex :).

I think most of us would agree - the PPC is a more computer-savvy device, and a lot of us here are programmers or at least work in highly computer-related fields, which just statistically are dominated by us guys. Unfortunate, but a fact. The way to get more women into PPCs is to get more women into technology in general; or at least not actively discouraging women who express interest in tech stuff. Putting mirrors into them and painting them pink would interest my little sister; it wouldn't get my girlfriend into them.

piperpilot
11-07-2003, 02:05 PM
You can probably tell from my avatar that I'm a woman. I work for a membership association that is primarily staffed by women. I have gotten several of my colleagues interested in Pocket PCs and all but one are women. In fact, I sold my old 3850 iPAQ to someone in the office and I have another colleague lined up to buy my 5455 iPAQ when the 6000 series comes out. I have also told all these women about Pocket PC Thoughts, so perhaps a few months from now there will be a noticeable spike in women visiting the site :D

bdegroodt
11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
I never really stopped to think about this and I only assumed a propotionate growth of females as the industry grew.

On the personal side I asked myself the same question. I can only name 1 other male that I KNOW has a PPC. The rest of the people that I know have PPCs are 3 women.

thefidhler
11-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Well, duh!

Why does this surprise anyone? There are more men in high
tech fields and the pocket pc is designed for high tech individuals!
I prefer working with mostly men, because I find most women too
gossipy and emotional at work. I guess I'm a lady with stereotypes about other ladies at work!

During a hurricane-caused power outage, I was recharging all my "toys" in turn in the car. This made me realize that I quess I'm really hooked on these high tech toys. :roll: Anyone else do that?

hmm... we could design a nice little database and do some
statistical analysis to find out which factors predict a inclination
to pocket pcs...

piperpilot
11-07-2003, 02:44 PM
During a hurricane-caused power outage, I was recharging all my "toys" in turn in the car. This made me realize that I quess I'm really hooked on these high tech toys. :roll: Anyone else do that?

I always bring a very heavy, bulky portable battery generator with me on camping trips to run my iPAQ and my portable DVD player, and during the hurricane I was using it to run the iPAQ, the DVD player and a handheld TV. Lights were only a secondary concern :wink:

kcwester
11-07-2003, 03:24 PM
This amazes me. All of the guys talking--and they say women never shut up :D

Oregon Trail
11-07-2003, 03:47 PM
After my vote, the poll results said 91% male. Where are the rest of the women? Perhaps they don't want to respond? What are your target demographics? Do you reach out to women at sites designed for womens issues? Lots of questions. Unfortunately, few women to answer.

Sunnyone
11-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Better a late responder than never.... I'm female and mostly a lurker, with an occasional burst of posting here and there. I'm doing my part to get people interested in Pocket PCs. I've managed to get a 3 people interested enough to buy a Pocket PC. My boss (female) is planning on getting 2 for Christmas (one for her and one for her husband). My 9-yr-old daughter and 12-yr-old son are using my Axim X5 (I've gotten a new iPAQ 2215 :D) on a daily basis - and fighting over whose turn it is to "play." I've tried to get my husband interested, and yesterday I freaked him out by changing the cable channels with Nevo while he had the cable remote in hand. It was pretty funny. He thought the cable remote was broken. :devilboy:

dMores
11-07-2003, 05:17 PM
i believe there are enough tech-savy women out there, i see pda-using-ladies quite frequently.

however, there is a difference in owning a technical gadget, and spending hours on the internet, browsing through various boards and constantly loading the latest app or game into the gadget.

i'm a proud boyfriend of an mda-using girl, but she would never come here. she uses the mda, she has a surround-sound system and a large-screen tv in her living room, goes to the library with the sony vaio notebook i got her, and urged me to set up a wireless lan at home so she can work anywhere, even outside and sharing the internet connection with our other computers.
but when it comes to software, that's something i need to do for her. she wants her toys to function, and she doesn't want to be bothered with the maintenance.

one thing i have noticed mainly on other boards is that guys start acting really strange when they "find out" a post has been made by a woman. things like "oooh, you a woman. well why don't you email me your adress and i'll show you ..."
really pathetic. i can't understand why. that sort of thing makes me think that there are still a lot of lonely geeks out there who have nothing else to do. they're miserable in reality, since they're probably not the best-looking, live at home or whatever, and have never learned how to speak to a woman in a bar or club. but when anonymity is their protection, they break loose and go overboard.

anyways, i admire women who have a feeling for technology.
and who wear oakley sunglasses :)

RADekker
11-07-2003, 06:13 PM
I am a 40 something female. I love my technology. You guys, whatever your age seem amazed when a woman is "involved" with technology. Stereotypes can be fun to play with but I don't think many women really fit the stereotypes.

I love power tools, I am a fiber artist who put her own loom together with a socket wrench and other tools (it is the size of a small bathroom), I am writing a book for adults with ADD, I love to bake, I have a Master of Science in Education in Human Resource Development, I have a Benina sewing machine, want to add a computerized Dobby to my loom (it is controlled using a PDA, Olympus digital camera, a Dell Inspiron 4000, an iPAQ 1935, a voice amplifier, two printers, and have a wish list for more technology. For Christmas I want a Craftsman table saw so I can make furniture.

What stereotype do I fit into? Oh, I am married and my husband is a technophobe. He uses HP instrumentation at work but never touches a computer at home.

I have many other interests and posting on forums like this must fit into my busy life.

Technology helps me live my life, I don't live for technology.

Girls have toys too!

Becky :mrgreen:

yawanag
11-07-2003, 07:05 PM
This amazes me. All of the guys talking--and they say women never shut up :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's 'cause they've been put on the defensive! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RADekker
11-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Guys have always talked, look at forums like this. They gossip too. It is human nature. Self-defense? I think not. It is just that many guys do not like to be forced to talk.

The men in my life, at work, and friends all talk. It really depends on whether you are an introvert or an extrovert. Try looking at Myers-Briggs, Multiple Intelligences, Learning styles, and other instruments that measure biological and learned preferences. There is much more to a person than gender. Sure, gender has certain biological differences but that is not the full picture of a person.

Becky

Jason Dunn
11-07-2003, 10:46 PM
To tweak a certain phrase:

"Sometimes a survey is just a survey."

:roll:

Let's try not to take anything too seriously here, shall we? It's pretty easy to tell which boys/men in this thread know anything about women, and which do not. :lol: Seeing the 8% nubmer for women right now, it confirms my hunch. What's even more interesting is that I believe among subscribers the ratio is higher than 8% - which means women know the value of a good thing more than men do. Hehe. :lol:

Thinkingmandavid
11-08-2003, 02:05 AM
I am glad the forum has more women in it. I like to hear the view points of everyone.

PetiteFlower
11-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Fortunately, even though I do see people making sexist comments here from time to time, I've never felt that anyone here thought any less of me personally or my intelligence because I'm female.

As for target demographics, I believe that's "PPC lovers" :) I don't think they're actively TRYING to get more women to read here, Jason was just wondering if our numbers had increased on their own :)

Thinkingmandavid
11-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Fortunately, even though I do see people making sexist comments here from time to time, I've never felt that anyone here thought any less of me personally or my intelligence because I'm female.

That is good, I am certainly not doing that and I hope you never feel that any of us are doing that. You used the word intelligence, that is all that should count, not whether female or male. We all have something to contribute and to learn from one another. I agree, Jason did a good thing by finding out about the numbers.

RADekker
11-10-2003, 07:08 AM
This definitely is a fun survey. Provides an interesting look into the subscribership on this forum.

A little confession here. I am a Baby Boomer who grew up during the beginnings of Women's Lib, the Pill, Roe v Wade, antidisestablishmentarianism, the civil rights movement, the Democratic Convention in Chicago where Daley's order to the police was to shoot to maim or kill. Women were far from equal. I am of the generation who fought for many basic rights like child custody for mothers, freedom to use birth control (it used to be illegal), who saw the beginnings of our current drug war, the gay rights movement, and so on. If I had been old enough I would have been on the buses during the Freedom ride in Selma etc. I am not a raging feminist.

Why am I telling you all this? When I see stereotypes portrayed, I cringe. I have seen so much gender discrimination in my life that it is very difficult to not say something.

For those of you who are younger than I, there is so much that happened in recent history that has changed our present. Please understand when someone like me takes it a little more serious than seems necessary.

Jason, this is a great site! I am a member of iPAQ.net too, and find these forums to be great places to exchange information and help each other.

Keep up the good work,
Becky

Thinkingmandavid
11-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Cool for you on the last post :wink: The more people at this site the better.

minimage
11-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Female here, but I normally don't disclose that fact. I've been on the net since I got my first email account in 1993, and I've lost count of the times I saw guys on the net asking if there were any females who wanted bf's, or asking me, when my gender was revealed, if I wanted a bf or asking for <ahem> pictures. I helped a guy out via PM on a Dell forum, and his response was "You're the man!" I thought about correcting him, but decided against it. I guess I'm still in cautious mode.

I've been to this forum before, but didn't register until today. I'm on a lot of computer-related forums (I'm seriously a forum junkie), and my list is sorted alphabetically, so, well, it took a four-day weekend for me to get back here <grin>.

I know of at least 3 other females in my department at work who use PDAs. Of course, we are the IT department! In 1999 my department issued Palm Pilots to the workstation support techs and other staff members; that was the first time I was able to use a PDA, and I was hooked ever since. I've bought 3 PDAs of my own since then; my current constant companion is an Axim X5 Advanced. I don't pump gas, watch a movie, fix a user's pc, or even sleep without it.

Oh, yeah, and when I was 8, my best friend, also a girl, told me her brothers said dolls were for sissies, so I gave them up, but it wasn't until l2001 that someone finally gave me the remote control car I'd always wanted. My husband is such a sweetie!

Makeup? After I give Dell, Asus, Kingston, CompUSA, Circuit City and a host of others my money, there's none left for that goop! Purses? No! Shoes? Every year or so, my tennis shoes start looking a bit ragged, so I buy a new pair! Dresses? What makes you think I'm going to crawl under a user's desk in a skirt? Mirror? Yeah, I use one first thing in the morning, and at night when I remove my contact lenses. Colored PDA? Ok, well, I do love teal...