View Full Version : SPDIF Audio Problem

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Ok, so I built a new PC and it has digital optical audio out (SPDIF). I also bought a set of Logitech Z680's that have SPDIF in. I can get audio, and it sounds awesome. The problem is that the volume controls on my MS Keyboard don't control the SPDIF volume - in fact, the SPDIF audio slide is greyed out and locked at about 70% volume. I can't seem to find a solution to this using Google - any ideas?

jeff
11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
It sounds like the driver doesn't support volume changes on that connection. Most SPDIF capable sound cards are like that, but there are some that do. There may be a driver update in the future, but you probably just have to move to a different manufacturer.

You shouldn't be able to adjust the volume on a SPDIF connection anyway. It's a line out and will always output at 0db. It's up to your external hardware to amplify or attenuate the signal.

Jason Dunn
11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. It's an on-board AC'97 sound solution, and I'm using the latest driver. I suppose it makes sense that it's just a signal with true level - I'll have to reach the 12" to turn the volume knob on my control module I guess. ;-)