View Full Version : Microsoft sets 100 million target for Windows phones and PDAs

madbart
11-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Microsoft has set a target to sell 100 million personal digital assistants (PDAs) and smart phones running Windows in the year 2007, according to a Microsoft official.

The goal was set by Microsoft chief executive officer, Steve Ballmer, for the company's Windows Mobile unit and showed that Microsoft was serious about this market, marketing manager for Windows Mobile at Microsoft, Douglas Dedo, said.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=781918467&eid=-100

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 04:09 AM
For those of you who were wondering the future of the ppc

buckyg
11-06-2003, 04:27 AM
Achievable? Yes, I suppose. Is it likely? I lean towards saying No. I'd love to be proven wrong.

IMHO, the Windows-based PDA/phone has a lot of Palm-based inertia to overcome in the business world. In my experience, most business people I have dealt with think Palm when they think PDA. Most don't even know there's a Windows alternative. I do my best to show the alternative. My boss was impressed when he saw what the iPAQ could do. He took one w/ a phone card in a sleeve on a trip when his phone was broke and didn't want to lug a laptop. That was his first exposure. He's the CIO, now he's considering Windows-based PDAs for some future projects. But he went back to his Palm-based phone when it came back...

There's also the "simple" factor... Several people I know want a PDA, but just as a glorified planner/address book. Put a Palm and a PPC side by side, most choose a Palm.

And if they don't get the alarm issue(s?) fixed soon, if that problem becomes widely known...

Just my two cents...

JustinGTP
11-06-2003, 06:35 AM
I think they well, the HPs are so nice and everyone will be getting one under the tree :D

-Justin.