View Full Version : Screen quality...Palm vs PPC

mcdj
11-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Just a random thought...does any Palm have a screen that compares to PPCs like the HP 1910?

I was a Palm fella up until the h1910 came out. My last Palm was a Clie 760.

I won't say I haven't looked back. There are many things I miss about Palm, and things I strongly dislike about PPC (in general, the PPC's lack of intuitiveness and style, interface wise, and waaayyy too many taps to get basic stuff done).

I've contemplated switching back to Palm several times. Any time a new Palm comes out, I duck into Circuit City or Best Buy to check out the offerings. So far, each and every visit leaves me disappointed, and glad I still have the 1910. More and more, it's shaping up that my next PDA will be the HP 4150, or something similar (read thin form factor with built-inWi-Fi)

The current Palms are nice looking enough. Palm manufacturers have almost always outdesigned the PPCs hardware-wise. But the same key difference keeps coming up, for me at least...the screen.
Tungsten 3? Crappy dim screen. Tungsten E? Downright muddy. Clie screens? Snappier than most, but still nothing like the 1910.

In bed, at night, the 1910 is almost too bright. It's nearly as bright as my notebook. Once I was showing the 1910 to an uninitiated friend and he commented that the screen looked like his computer monitor, which I understood to mean bright and sharp.

I was under the impression that Sony makes the 1910 screen. Shouldn't they be putting their best technology into their own final products?

Or is the lack of brilliant screens on the Palm platform a result of hardware or software limitations involving the OS?

-Rob

Darius Wey
11-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Um, not really a reply to your topic, but from this, I'm not sure whether you like or hate Palms and PPC, and like or hate the h1910 screen? If you were aiming to make me confused...you did it! Then again, I am quite dazed tonight anyway 8O !

dh
11-06-2003, 02:32 PM
I was under the impression that the TT3 had the best screen of the current POS devices. If screen brightness is your top priority, you'd probably be best sticking with your 1910.

You might well be right about Sony making the 1910 screen, although I have read that HP source displays from more than one manufacturer. pa1mOne do this as well. I seem to remember reading a thread about the differences in TT3 screen quality, depending on who had made it.

Darius Wey
11-07-2003, 06:34 AM
So if Sony makes the 1910 screen, do they make the 1940 one as well, and if so...u think there wouldn't be a yellowish tint to it would u?