View Full Version : How to close applications in pocket pc 2002 ?

josemaria
11-05-2003, 07:22 PM
In my ipaq 3760 with pocket pc 2002 I had the leftmost button to access the task manager, Here I could easily close down tasks.

Now with my new ipaq 1930 with pocketpc 2003 I can't find the way to reach the task manager to close tasks.

dean_shan
11-05-2003, 07:40 PM
You can use the program PocketNav (http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html). It is free and works very well.

ucacjbs
11-05-2003, 08:27 PM
In WM2003, the task manager can be found like so:

Start->Settings->System->Memory->Running Programs

(programs such as pocketnav and pocketplus give you access to this functionality with far fewer clicks)

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 02:28 AM
it looks interesting, I use pocket plus for that so i when i hit the 'X' it actually closes out the program, and i get alarms :)
it is available as a trial and it is not expensive.

tanalasta
11-06-2003, 11:04 AM
There are a number of programs out there that enable you to close running programs. Apart from the above, wisbar is another very nice freeware app that does just this.

Otherwise, spb and batterypack also have today plugin's which come with this function along with other things. You can also force an application to quit using control-Q on the keyboard. Apparently the reason microsoft didn't include a way to close programs easily is that their software does so automatically and you're meant to "trust" it to do so ;) Most programs can easily run in the background without being closed and not affect performance.... :)

Thinkingmandavid
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
mmm, so when they are running inthe back ground they are not affecting ram? processing speed doesnt slow the more programs that are running, meaning it isnt working harder??
trust? not hardly 8O

tanalasta
11-07-2003, 07:30 AM
I suppose what I meant is that most PIM programs that people leave running like calender, contacts, inbox have a small memory footprint and shouldn't significantly affect performance. The other thing is that the program doesn't have to reload itself into RAM when you switch back to it but again, this usually takes half a second (if that) at the most. This obviously doesn't include the bigger (several MB) ones and I systematically close these after I finish them if they do not do so automatically! And as for trusting microsoft, if I did, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy batterypack 2003 ;)

spursdude
11-11-2003, 06:30 AM
I use Icbar for closing apps.