View Full Version : IPAQ 5555

rapidnet_rick
11-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Hello,

I recently upgraded from an IPAQ 3800 to the 5555 and one of the first things I noticed, which bothered me was that the volume level on the 5555 was much lower. It seems that it is perhaps as much as half the volume of the previous 3800.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Is this normal for the 5555, or perhaps there is something wrong with my unit.

I remember on the 3800 I used Fonix TimeTalk Alert to announce my appointments, and it was quite loud. As a matter of fact with the volume all the way up, people near my cube would complain.

Today on the 5555 I am evaluating some of the Fonix software...With the volume all the way up, I have to strain to hear the Fonix software on the unit sitting right next to it!

The other thing I hate is the headset jack is on the bottom of the 5555, and is not availalble when the unit is in the cradle. So, how can I listen to music?!

Hmmmm...

jnajera
11-05-2003, 05:52 PM
I know, the sound really bites! That's the only complaint I have about it! As far as the headphone jack, it really does not bother me. If it's in the cradle it's close enough to my pc to use it intsead of the ipaq.

rapidnet_rick
11-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Welp,

I started searching the Forums, and lo and behold...Seems to be a common complaint with the 55xx.

So, does having the sound jack un-available while cradled bother anyone else???

--=Rick==-

JonnoB
11-05-2003, 10:40 PM
So, does having the sound jack un-available while cradled both anyone else???

Not me, because while cradles, I can listen to stuff on my PC. It still illustrates poor design considerations on the part of HP.

rapidnet_rick
11-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Not me, because while cradles, I can listen to stuff on my PC. It still illustrates poor design considerations on the part of HP.

For me it makes alerting/alarm software pretty much worthless, If I can't hear the alerts and announcements.

TimeTalk Alert is pretty cool, announces your scheduled appointments...but, can't hear them well at all on the 5555. Damn shame..

If HP choose to put the headphone jack on the bottom of the Ipaq, why not modify the cradle so that IT has a headphone jack?

Oh well, perhaps I'll try to cook something up....

jnajera
11-06-2003, 04:02 AM
If it wasnt for the vibrating option I would have sent it back. I love the form factor to much to let it bother me. Maybe pocketpctechs should consider doing a upgrade for the speaker. That would be bangin.

WyattEarp
11-19-2003, 08:41 AM
I have noticed that while the maximum volume is lower the sound does seem clearer.

DustyLBottoms
11-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Actually....

they Designed it that way....

Along time ago, in a R&D Lab far, far away.

A couple of HP techs wanted to make the bestest PPC ever.
So, they took the form factor of the previous Compaq lineup,
added BT, WLAN, Finger Print security, a better screen, a dummy
SIM slot, and an adio jack that supports headphones and a mic.

They were wanting to make a GSM phone edition.

But it never really panned out.

All that to say: The speaker sucks because they wanted people to be able to put their ears directly in contact with the speaker (ie. like a phone) without being sued because it's so freaking loud that it causes hearing loss.